Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to make Headstock Decals

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Doth, Mar 2, 2011.

1. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK

I'll work out a way to share them publicly, in case anyone else wants to use them.

2. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    Great ;)

3. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    For now, here is a jpeg and a pdf of what I have done.

Attached Files:

4. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    Hey mate. Is that possible to have a sign of the word "Steadybeat"?

5. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK

Sure. Give me a few days or so though. They take a few hours to do.

6. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    What printing resolution is best for laser printing the decals? Or does the resolution matter much?

I'm just now trying to figure out the best way to make a file for printing a headstock decal (and this thread magically appeared!), and I'm not sure how fine I need to go.

7. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    If you're using a vector drawing programme, make sure you convert the font to curves. Then exporting to PDF takes care of the resolution for you, perfectly sharp edges. I don't know about other methods, cos that's the only one I've ever used!

Just test on normal paper first till you're happy you have a nice crisp edge, I would think.

8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA

Thanks! I did plan to export to PDF, that should work.

I'm using an old version of Photoshop (not a 'vector drawing' program, I gather), using its Text feature with the available fonts, and I 'warped' the line of text to curve it.

Speaking of curves, vs. fonts -- not sure what that means (I'm perty ignernt about those things) but will do some studying.

I'm going to have the actual printing done at a good copy place down the street, maybe they'll have advice about what works for them.

Once I get it down, I have a feeling I'm going to be putting waterslide decals on everything... :D

9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    I think that's only relevant if you're using a vector drawing programme (CorelDraw, Illustrator, Inkscape), it just helps to ensure crisp edges. I know literally nothing about Photoshop....

As well as this thread, there is also this one:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/214826-waterslide-decals-question.html

10. Tom_

Tom_ TDPRI Member

Jan 9, 2015
    UK
    Fonts vs. curves...
    There's two ways that PDFs can contain text.
    One, literally as text, with a font assigned to those letters. Either the font file has to be embedded within the PDF, or the person opening the PDF has to have the font installed on their computer.
    Alternatively, the strokes of each letter get converted to curves - the meaning of the letters is lost, because now all the PDF contains is a lot of curves (which just happen to look like letters), but the benefit is that there's no need to worry about how it will look when someone else opens it - because everything that matters is in the lines.

If you're exporting to PDF just for someone else to print it, always convert to curves.
    Keeping it as text makes sense if they need to be able to search the document (like an e-book), but it's not the safest choice for a headstock decal.

11. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Here you go. PDF and jpeg, whichever you want. Should be about the right size for a standard Fender type headstock (ignore the fact that they appear to be different sizes, they are actually identical)

Attached Files:

tvvoodoo likes this.

12. sansa

sansa Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2009
    ITALY
    Thanks so much mate! I'll share the sign on my strato ;)

13. guitarguy1992

guitarguy1992 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2015
    Kentucky
    Anyone have a tutorial for modifying the fender font in illustrator to what you want? I was able to use brushscript and a thin sans style font for the telecaster word.

14. mattpeyton

mattpeyton TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2013
    South Orange, NJ
    I'm resurrecting a zombie thread I know-I just stumbled across this because I'm about to attempt my first logo headstock. I'm going to be applying it to an unfinished neck-a roasted maple beauty from Warmoth. I've read every post here with some great interest. After reading in more than one thread that waterslide will not stick to unfinished wood-I decided to go the route of printing on a self-adhesive transparent Grafix Inkjet Film (matte) and then coating with Krylon "Preserve It".....(also matte) i'm hoping this will allow me to "try before I buy" for a while and decide if I like the logo I've created. Hopefully this works - going to go scout out some maple scraps at Home Depot this weekend.

Has anyone use these products before? I'm hoping that the adhesive on the transparent film will not harm or mark the wood under it in case I decide to do something different. Eventually I may apply a thin coat of lacquer to only the top of the headstock.... i'm very hesitant to put anything on this roasted maple neck because of how beautiful it is now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017

15. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Why the hesitation to put on a coat of sealer or lacquer of some sort, and sandwich your decal in between layers of finish? I think you're asking for trouble applying adhesive to the raw wood, that might leech or stain the wood and show up around the decal, and it might cause problems with adhesion of the finish when you do get around to it.

Flakey likes this.

16. gourmetsaint

gourmetsaint Tele-Meister

May 17, 2017
    Australia
    A version of the Fender font (fender.ttf) is available for download. Google is your friend.

17. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2003
    Minnesota
    You're replying to a two-year-old post from a forum member who is now deceased.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.