Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to Identify 10" CTS Speakers used in Fender Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by guitarjesus, Jun 12, 2018.

1. guitarjesus

guitarjesus TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Is there a code on the speakers that specify which model speakers? Like the proper Oxfords are the 10L6, or the Jensens are the C10R. Is therd a number designation for CTS Alnicos?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    137 xxxx and basket w square mag .. couple threads here with details

3. guitarjesus

guitarjesus TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    137 is the EIA code, that I know. They are usually black frames, always square magnet, this I know. But they made more than one alnico 10" model, so I'm hoping an actual model code, not manufacturer.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    064121 was the Fender part number of the CTS speakers in both my 78 Princeton and Vibrolux, a CTS alnico frame I got gifted and coincidently the Eminence in my Superchamp. It's also on Pyles used in Fenders, and I believe it's been used on Oxfords.

My speaker coner told me a few years back he could get genuine cones for them, and there's only one listed.

If you get a speaker marked 064121 you can be assured it's a Fender 10". You do need to watch for generic recones. All the Fenders I've seen have seamed ribbed cones.

5. guitarjesus

guitarjesus TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Awesome. I just bough a 1969 064121 CTS for 50 bucks. Which re-cone tech do you use?

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I use Total Recoil in Melbourne Australia, so not terribly convenient, but any reputable reconer should be able to do it. It's not rocket science, just needs care an patience.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I have orig in my super reverb I could look..but, probably what they say above..I do know a bad recone is not a good thing for those.
    I'm lucky, mine are still intact.

telemnemonics likes this.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Dean Zink.
    Does a great job on my vintage stuff.
    And...there's stuff to know.
    It may not be rocket science, but neither is setting up a guitar, and...well...you know.

thegeezer likes this.

9. schmee

schmee Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Orange County Speaker did perfect recone of those. But they quit reconing. This is supposedly the guy who does them now who worked there. Confirm that he uses the same components that OC did. http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/home.html

Also, be aware that just because a light duty speaker sounds great in a 4 x 10 application, it may be terrible by itself.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The particular speakers being discussed have a unique tone unlike other alnico tens, and I’d say it’s a crapshoot expecting a recone to sound the same. For example Celestine makes dozens of different speaker models on the same frame and magnet.
    The sound is in the cone assembly including VC, though of course the small VC and alnico magnet are the beans and tomato in the chili.

There was a time when reconers had piles of NOS cones from the OEM suppliers of the original speakers. I have an old alnico EV SRO reconed by Orange County with the correct EV cone and spider assembly, so it sounds like an original. Those kits are all gone now.
    Orange County did great work, but largely because they tended to source the right parts, not because reconing speakers is such a skilled job.

I'd consider contacting Weber and asking them how close they can get to the original sound in a recone of one of these unique speakers.

Image1528904493.599162.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    JustABluesGuy and King Fan like this.

11. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Zinky of Prosonic?
    Wait, no that's Bruce.

Have you compared his recone of one of those alnico CTS to an original cone?
    If he has the right parts and really nails the sound, uh, never mind lets keep it a secret!

If one only wishes a speaker to sound good, and doesn't care if it has the unique original sound, then none of this matters.
    But then aside from the appearance I'd just buy a nice Emi 1028k.

12. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Are you hoping to get the original sound because you've used originals and want the middy cool tone?
    Or are you just wanting it to work and like the vintage vibe?

I just bought a 1960 Jensen P12N reconed by Orange County years ago, on ebay for $60. I have no expectation of it sounding like an original, but it's possible it could be pretty close depending on what OC had for cones at the time.
    I'm cautiously hopeful!

JustABluesGuy likes this.

13. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.