Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to go about getting a sponsorship deal from Fender?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by shakingpapermusic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2006
    Wow. Tough crowd. Why not go right to the source? Call FMIC and try to talk to someone in artist relations or marketing. You may get bounced around a little. You may get nowhere. Or just "no." But It's worth a shot.

2. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    There are different levels when you deal with FMIC (or pretty much anyone else) depending on what you're doing.

If you're successful regionally you may be able to get them to work with you. Have your representative send them an EPK and keep them informed of where you're playing.

The first time I ever hooked up with a MI company was when someone who worked for a company happened to see my band back in the mid-90s. He approached us and joined our mailing list (that's how it was done back then!).

After a while I bought a couple guitars at a pretty good discount (they were not free and it was still a lot of money for me).

If you're playing a lot, have a lot of hits/legit followers on social media, etc... you probably have a pretty good chance to get a discount on things.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Wow, ok there, Judgey McJudgealot. Tell us how you REALLY feel this time...:rolleyes:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Oh I didn't mean to offend anyone, what do you call someone who is looking for a Sugar Daddy ( Corporate Sponsor) to get in bed with ( endorse, or rent their name to)for financial consideration ?

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    What do you call them? Let's see...

We could call them Wilco, The Who, David Bowie, Sheryl Crow, Bob Seger, AC/DC, Iggy Pop, The Cars, ELO, The Eurythmics, and many others as just a quick list of musicians and recording artists who have licensed their music to corporate pimps for commercials I could remember and pull up in a quick search. A list of artists who currently have pimped themselves out for endorsement deals would overtax my interest in compiling, and then you'd have no one left to listen to since no one that high and mighty would deign to listen to someone who had sold their soul to the corporate Satan for rock and roll... ;)

7. rz350

rz350 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Waubeka Wisconsin
    First thing ya gotta do is stop playing that Les Paul and that Flying V... ;)

brogh likes this.

8. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    It's really hard these days, I had a few endorsements in the 90's. now you need tons of video and social media. They want to see that you are really out there. Even the small companies are like that now.

9. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    Keep playing the heck out of the guitar, you'll get a lot of stuff from all kinds of people, companies, etc. If you really like Fender, just stick with them and keep rockin', good things happen to people with discipline, perseverance, and people who never give up end up getting more, maybe if only freedom and fulfillment, and that is infinitely better than tangible things.

wayloncash likes this.

10. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Jan 23, 2006

Way to go Chud. The OP was looking for some advice and support from the people on TDPRI who have, or had, a deal with Fender. This is a Fender-centric site, after all. Instead he got a faceful. More than one in fact. Including some, I'll wager, from people whose chops or bands never reached his level of achievement.

If you believe corporate sponsorship makes you a sell-out, that's your call. But I think we sometimes forget that even guitar players have lives that include mortgages, car payments, child support, etc. Or they just might appreciate a good deal on a new instrument.

Jakedog and Chud like this.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    If you want it, get it. Call or email their artist relations department, and ask what they require for endorsement. I have/have had lots of endorsements.

IMO- get stuff that matters. Get a string deal for sure. You go through more of those than anything else.

Here's the deal with guitars and amps- you're better off with small manufacturers. Some of those guys will still give you stuff, or at least give you a screaming deal.

Bigger companies will not. Even for big bands. There are some artists that get free stuff. They are few and far between, and they have been with their sponsor forever. It's kind of being grandfathered in.

Most bigger companies like Fender, and even tons of smaller ones, will just give you what we used to call a pro discount. Even a great endorsement deal will only net you the ability to buy stuff at cost plus 10%. Which you can get easily from any dealership where you can make a good friend. At that point, all you're getting is the shctick of saying you have a Fender endorsement. If that really means something to you, go for it. But go in with your eyes open. The days of major companies outfitting players with free gear are long over.

Occasionally you can get a great deal with a small manufacturer or builder. Occasionally. But not even that happens much anymore. Brad Paisley doesn't even get free Z amps, for example.

It's just not done anymore. Most manufacturers want to be able to say they don't compensate their artists. It gives them a lot more cred. Hobby players are a lot less likely to flock to dealers to get their favorite player's guitar or amp, if they think that player is paid to use it. This includes freebies.

Chud likes this.

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    If your music is out there and copyrighted listed by Harry Fox etc, you are seldom contacted and asked when someone licenses your music.

Chud likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.