Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to get under this board?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Outlaws, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:05 AM.

1. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    I have a couple caps that need replacing or resoldering on this Krank Rev 1 head.
    They are noisy when tapping on them.

I am struggling to see how to lift out this board cleanly.

The preamp tube sockets are 100% board mounted. Simple. The power tube sockets are also board mounted but have screws and a flange outside the chassis screwed in. I took out the screws on one and it doesn’t seem like that flange comes off.

Someone tell me this requires desoldering all 4 power tube sockets?

If we determine this, then there is the issue of the a bridge rectifier bent/leaning over half of the 4th tubes pins and that BR is wedged in by the speaker out/impedance selector which has one of the mounting screws to the chassis BELOW the board (that I need to remove to get to for removing that first, but then if I could remove the board I would really have all that issue anyways lol)

I really just don’t feel like desolder these if I don’t have to....

Attached Files:

2. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None

3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I'd say a well-deserved rant -- that's poor mechanical design there, to wedge the board in like that. Sure looks like the octal sockets have to be desoldered.

Outlaws likes this.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    There not manufactured to be repaired.

Outlaws likes this.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    https://tubedepot.com/products/8-pin-octal-socket-with-long-pins

Your socket looks like this. If you look at the photo it appears there are a couple of tabs holding the bracket on the ceramic socket.

You're probably better off wicking the socket pins and removing the sockets. Be sure to read up on soldering and desoldering on PCBs if you don't already have experience doing it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 8:56 PM

6. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    My motto is disturb as little as possible, but enough to allow for a clean job.
    I feel comfortable, I just view desoldering as a last resort.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Outlaws, a good rant on this one would entail a revelation as to what amp this is. I for one would not want one of these....and I would not care to work on one either.

RLee77 likes this.

8. Outlaws

Outlaws Tele-Meister

Jan 16, 2007
    None
    In the post. ;)

Overall it’s not terrible, but annoying.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.