Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to get the feel of a Modern Player Plus fingerboard on a Mexican Standard?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Anna_R, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Anna_R

Anna_R NEW MEMBER!

Oct 5, 2017
    Somerville
    Dear fellow Telecaster enthusiasts,

I am looking to buy a telecaster as I admire its wonderful sound.

Since I currently do not have too much money to spare, I was determined to buy a Mexican Standard Telecaster.

In my local Guitar shop, I also tested a Fender Telecaster Modern Player Plus. Personally, I prefer the sound of the Mexican Standard to the sound of a Modern Player Plus. I was also not to fond of the thick glossy finish at the neck, as I felt, that it slowed my hand movements.

However, I felt that the playability of the fingerboard is wonderful. Now I wonder, which component of the Modern Player made me feel like this.

I have several "theories" about that:

1. the Jumbo frets the modern player compared to the Medium Jumbo Frets of the Mexican Standard.

2. The fingerboard itself is more varnished? ( I couldn’t find information about that, in the internet, but the lacquer on the Modern Player Plus looks way thicker and the color and the glossyness is quite different)

3. The reason is the neck shape (Modern C at the Mexican, C-Shape at the Modern Player)?

I don´t know so much about guitars, to come to a conclusion on that. So I wanted to ask for your opinion, what could be the reason.

Does the neck shape influence the „felt“ playability of a guitar? Is the finish on the fingerboard of the Modern Player Plus really different?
    If the Jumbo frets are the reason, can I just remove the frets from the Mexican Standard and insert Jumbo frets?
    In general, what can I do to combine the sound of the Mexican Telecaster (and the sparsely glossy neck) with the playability of a Modern Player Plus Guitar?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.