Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to get Position 4 Strat quack out of a Nashville-style Tele without compromising the neck tone.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Dismalhead, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Hey all,

Thinking to my next partscaster. I'll go with a three pickup design. I have one question - how do I get position 4 Strat quack out of the guitar without compromising on the classic Tele neck tone? Can I just get a quacky mid-position Strat pickup like a Texas Special and will that do the trick?

Not really concerned about position 2 since I rarely use it on either of my Strats.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Keystone or CS Nocaster pups.

Then either a CS69 or CS Texas Special in the middle.

Keystone does make a Nashville set as well (three pups).

KT Nashville Sets

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Keystones.html

The thing is to get a strat-ty, neck, and those are some Tele's that will get you there for sure.

Dismalhead likes this.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Having a middle pickup that's RWRP will get you some quack from the middle pup, but the the cover on the neck pickup is going to prevent it from doing much quack at all. So you'll need to remove the neck pup's cover to get enough quack and still retain some Tele neck pup tone.

Tootle and Dismalhead like this.

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry, Disagree ▲

5. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    'Half out of Phase'
    Look up how to wire this setup. I have 2 pickups on a 5 way super switch giving me the 3 normal tele sounds + series and finally, HOoP which gives the stratty '2' '4' type sounds.

honestly, this should be the modern telecaster setup for production models. 5 sounds, all distinct. Far more versatile than a strat, IMO.

tubejockey and Dismalhead like this.

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    I don't know how much you love the sound of the middle pup only, to me it's the most expendable, to some guys it's a favorite. That said, I have a partscaster with w/a Tele bridge and Strat middle and neck; bridge and neck are on a 4-way, middle is on a push-pull SPST tone pot. Down is all (modern) Tele, up is quack X3 with the front position yielding a unique tone with some quack. A DPDT Pot on the volume could be used to isolate the middle pup, give you 9 selections. I love it! YMMV.

7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I like the 69 fender in the middle-quacks pretty good...I've got 64 fenders in neck and ridge of my homemade one

Attached Files:

8. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    Funny, I originally bought my Strat back in '79 to get that quack. I had never seen a five way selector switch on one. Up until that time, all Strat models I had played still had the three position selector switch, but a friend showed me how to get that sound by making the switch stick between the detents. I was surprised to find that my guitar had a five position selector just to get that tone.

Now, nearly forty years later, I seldom ever use the 2 and 4 positions. I guess that sound doesn't have any magic for me anymore.

CFFF likes this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    You go through phases. All my guitars went to HB's and decked/blocked tremolos, now the trems are going operational and I'm getting back into the single coils.

10. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    I blocked my trem for a bit too, but mostly to keep from going out of tune. Now it's operational, but max springs. Works well enough for my purposes. Still don't quack anymore though.

11. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    I think you'll be happy with any low output single coils. High output single coils and rail style picks aren't gonna give that quack sound but any other single coil type pick ups should work good together.

12. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2012
    Clarksville, TN
    And of course since I posted this earlier this morning I actually used it in a song jamming with some friends this afternoon. It did seem appropriate for the song though. A clean bluesy tune.

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.