How to fix sweaty hands?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by MTguitar, Apr 8, 2009.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Weird.
    My mother doesn't sweat.
    It's caused her a few minor health problems.
    She was told she could get an operation to make her sweat, but it's expensive and, well...it's surgery, so it's dangerous.
    She never bothered.

2. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

Back in college, my uncle worked a summer spraying weeds. The guy he worked with didn't sweat and ended up getting extremely sick because of it. I guess what happened is my uncle would sweat out the toxins in the weed spray (probably wasn't OSHA-approved weed spraying) and this guy's body would hold them in.

So i guess sweating is good--just not when you're trying to play guit in public for the first time.

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The hands don't actually have sweat glands, although some moisture is exuded by the fingertips to aid grip, sweat is transferred from elsewhere. If for suffer from profuse sweating, do get your blood pressure checked.

4. tele1

tele1 Tele-Meister

Try spraying an anti-perspirent on hands

Never tried it myself but I heard that it works.........

5. MTguitar

MTguitar Tele-Meister

I'm 24.

No doubt my blood pressure will be high when I play in public, but I don't think it is anything that an MD cares about.

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

That is not true. Some people sweat so much from their palms they need surgery (ETS) to disable the nerves that trigger the sweat glands.

7. zogjam

zogjam TDPRI Member

i would try certain-dri. ive dealt with clammy hands and was perscribed drysol (aluminum chloride, same thing as certain dri) which you just apply at night. there aren't other scents and oils commonly found in other underarm products so you don't have to worry about that either

8. pickinpete

pickinpete Tele-Meister

Hyper Hydrosis is what its called, I used to a big problem with it...till I got type II diabetes, that cut it way back. I wouldnt recommend it tho, the side effects a bummer.

9. F6_FullMelt

F6_FullMelt Tele-Holic

drysol works...
    i use it in the pits when I have an infection my body is fighting (ah the joys of Crohn's) because i tend to sweat more heavily when my body is trying to get toxins out. My cousin used the stuff on her hands for chronic hyperhydrosis. get some of that and put some on the night before the show, you'll be god the whole next day at least. In my experience once you've used it a few times it only needs something like a bi-weekly touch up - but that depends on how persistent your sweating is.

interesting side note - at one point i had a wart on my left hand that spread pretty badly, I am assuming due to all that guitar contact - point is, the dermatologist told me to use the drysol (some bootleg brand though) on my hands for a bit, and apparently the loss of moisture did away with it quickly and painlessly - and did not get in the way of my playing, like a few painful freezes had.

10. scoots

scoots Tele-Holic

what i've found that works the best are those chalk cones you use for shooting pool. another thing (believe it or not) is the lint you take out of your dryer. cool thread

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Isn't that stuff supposed to cure the common cold too?! :lol:

I had never heard about the laundry lint. I'll have to collect a big wad of it to store in my guitar case... :oops: :p

12. jefrs

I believe I was referring to scent glands, which are also sweat glands but they produce the greasy slippery sweat, the nearest to the paw is at the wrist, these glands can be triggered by emotional state. The other saline sweat glands are triggered by being too hot. The hands being extremities should not get too hot. Feet are another matter. Most sweat on the hands gets transferred in from the hair. My shirt can be soaked and my hair dripping into my eyes but my hands bone dry. What triggers sweating is that the body thinks it is too hot, usually it is, but it can go haywire, especially if we are a bit over weight or have high blood pressure, this is not age-related. Unnaturally profuse sweating is a sign that something is out of kilter. Asprin reduces body temperature but use with caution, cures common colds too.

13. BeardedRainbow

BeardedRainbow Tele-Meister

Just put some hand sanitizer on your hands whenever they get sweaty, alcohol dries the skin and evaporates quickly, be careful if you're playing a nitro neck, alcohol can mess it up.

14. omeany2

omeany2 NEW MEMBER!

fastasspowder.com

There is a good powder for guitarists called Fastass Powder that doesn't use talc so it wont burn your eyes. That happens a lot to me when I use Talc. Check out http://www.fastasspowder.com

15. jefrs

Uh oh.

This is zombie thread number two that has been resurrected by a new punter pushing a product with a rude name.

16. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jeff Beck uses talcum powder.

17. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

Right before going on stage I like to do some jumping jacks or jump rope helps get all the energy out.

18. vincent

vincent Tele-Holic

+1 for Finger Ease.

19. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you need some lint while onstage, just dig it out of your belly button.

20. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I used to play drums and on a stage under hot lighting, playing with great energy etc, I do recall losing the odd stick.

I recall on one occasion, a stick whizzed out my hand and struck the sax player in the back as he was mid solo.

Fair put paid to his solo :eek:

I did try those sports style wristbands once or twice. They seemed to help a bit as a lot of the sweat actually trickles down from your wrist/arm.

Good luck. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.