Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to clean up a 67 natural wood Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by RickyLee3, Mar 26, 2018.

Should I bother getting the spots out?

1. Yay

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Nay

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RickyLee3

RickyLee3 TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2018
    New York City
    Hi, looks great, did you sand with a high grade paper? if so, what grade did you use?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I didn't sand off the old finish, used stripper to take off at least two paint jobs so it wasn't covered with 80 grit scratches.
    Then probably 120/ 220/ 320.
    The minwax tung oil finish is a poly based oil infused wipe on that's super easy to get a nice looking non-plasticky finish with.

3. RickyLee3

RickyLee3 TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2018
    New York City
    I have a few dark spots on my guitar, at one point I was thinking abut how to ge them out, but I had given up the idea after many people encouraged me to leave it as is. Anyway, I had seen yours, I have no idea what they are, if you do, I would appreciate any thoughts.
    Thanks 67 Tele .jpg

4. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    Leave it right there... looks just fine.

5. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2017
    Cambridge England
    20170621_213155_001.jpg
    Leave it as it is. It looks great. You need to play some more to catch up with my 66:lol:.

Pickcity likes this.

6. warrent

warrent Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    what finish is currently on the body? It's been stripped once so to get at the stains if that's what they are, you would have to strip it again remove the stains with something like oxalic acid and then refinish. You would lose any character the body currently has.
    Out of curiosity what is the route like under the pickguard?

7. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Long Island
    Someone said 35 years old?.. '67 to '18 it's 51 years old according to my calculator;)

8. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I took mine to a luthier and had the body buffed-out. it had collected a lot of grime and discoloration over the years. He did wet sand a couple spots, but the body came-up nice. It's good to do, since it smooths-out the dings a little and removes any surface spots. Not an expensive job, at all.

upload_2018-4-13_21-58-8.jpeg

Pickcity likes this.

9. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Wiping it down with a rag is one thing, but it needs nothing else. There's no way I would take out the character. Just my 2 cents.

10. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    There are a lot of ways to try to fix the spots that end up making them look worse.

There's only one way to make them go away and that is to learn a whole lot of details of guitar finishing.
    Unless you have a full-blown hobby of guitar finish work, just leave it alone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.