Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to clean up a 1953 Fender Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Wicked-T, Jan 2, 2018.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    It's like autoincorrect or something... :)

2. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I started a debate on another site about my deluxe amp, last night I replaced the tone
    control/switch with a newer CTS 1 meg (closer to spec) and switch, and once done the
    hum level dropped and is much quieter. The debate is pot's don't cause hum if bad, I
    think because of the current going though the pot if it's shielding or whatever degrades
    because of age does something.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Or....perhaps a cold solder joint? I once switched out the positions of a special pot from a Vib channel to the Normal channel due to a scratch that cleaner/lube would not correct. When I got the pots in the circuit, there was no scratchiness in that ‘offending’ pot. There was a cold solder joint causing the scratching noise.

Wicked-T likes this.

4. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    I'm going over it bit by bit checking everything to make sure.

5. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    The new resistors came in the mail today and I put one in sure looks
    better made than the old ceramic on.

P1060625.JPG P1060628.JPG

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    A few things -

I see what looks like a green ground wire but also what looks like a "death cap". Was a 3-prong cord installed (properly) and the death cap disconnected?

Also, the blue molded caps may have "worked" in another amp, but could be noisy in this one. Why didn't you simply use fresh caps? The practice of splicing parts to old leads can also lead to problems in some case.

The circuit board looks like it's seen too much heat at times. There are melted areas - and what is the red "stuff"? Damaged boards also can cause noise issues.

Solder in the eyelets could be done better. It should completely fill the eyelets. Not a noise "solver" - just good solder technique.

I noticed someone mentioned metal preamp tubes. Those are the older versions and are often noisier than "glass bottles". I don't suggest using them. Testing them on a tube tester won;t tell you anything useful other than to hep weed out completely bad ones.

7. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    The death cap is detached on one side and a 3 prong cord was put in, the melted areas
    is wax I apply to hold the caps better because the board is warped from years of heat.
    The red stuff I have no idea what that is paint or other. The amp is much quieter since
    I changed the tone/switch pot to a newer CTS (believe it or not 65 pot) that I rebuilt and
    sounds fine. I would love to put a new board in but have to wait till I get my act together,
    the soldering joints well this poor guy has had the parts changed a few time before me
    so they are what they are.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Deja Vu....
    Never liked the AC switch on a pot, and I hope y'all will not soon forget this!

9. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Yes I hear you I don't like them either but! it is what it is and I found a NOS CTS
    switch and it works good, another thing spraying deoxit F5 might not be a cure
    all for these pots with switches it might add a slight oil that stay's on all the parts
    and in time might add to noise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.