Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

How to clean lacquer off frets?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Blue Bill, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I need help with my first neck finish attempt: I've tinted and sprayed nitro, sanded to 2000, ready for buffing. I must have sprayed 25 coats of lacquer; I did a lot of sanding and re-spraying while I learned to regulate the process to get a smooth coat without sags.

Now, the frets are coated with a nice thick layer of tinted shellac and nitro. How do you guys clean this up?

BTW, I tried both Watco and Deft rattle cans. The Deft is better, IMO. The Watco can was more prone to runs and spitting. Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Chet Johnson

Chet Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Dec 17, 2008
    Woodsfield, OH
    I tape off the fretboard to protect the finish on the surrounding areas. Then I use stew mac fret polishing wheels on a dremel tool. The coarse grit first to remove the finish, and then the fine one to polish the metal.

3. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    It comes off after a little playing.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Thanks. Since I don't have a Dremel, I'll try Hemingway's method first. It's a Musikraft neck, so the frets are nicely polished under the finish, I'd hate to mess up their work.

Now, how to buff... Should i try my auto headlight lens polishing kit? Boy, this is a lot of work. Fun though!

6. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Aug 4, 2010
    Athens, GA
    File a notch the shape of a fret crown into a penny and use that to scrape. A copper penny is softer than fretwire alloy so it can't scratch or mar the frets.

7. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Open G, great idea, thanks!

Ernie Banks and banks of Fender amplifiers!

8. francomanca

francomanca Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2010
    italy
    Thumb mail for most of the job... Then play....un lesa You feel to have to polish...
    Some might smile at the thumb nail....but it works and You dont scratches nothing....just a little lenghty job.

Cheers

9. francomanca

francomanca Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2010
    italy
    Thumb nail for most of the job... Then play....unnless You feel to have to polish...
    Some might smile at the thumb nail....but it works and You dont scratch nothing....just a little lenghty job.

Cheers

10. francomanca

francomanca Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2010
    italy
    Thumb nail for most of the job... Then play....unnless You feel to have to polish...
    Some might smile at the thumb nail....but it works and You dont scratch nothing....just a little lenghty job.

Cheers

11. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Thanks, Franco.
    Thanks, Franco.
    Grazie, Franco.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.