Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to 'age' a pickguard?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LUKO, Apr 6, 2007.

1. scosystems

scosystems Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2008
    hyde, United Kingdom
    The method that I use is a simple wipe over with some fine wire wool (takes the new shine off and gives the dye some purchase into the plastic) and then just use some light coloured wood dye.

Attached Files:

2. 52'Stu

52'Stu TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yes, I used the exact same method on an Allparts, single-ply 5 hole tele guard. It went from that brand new plastic shiny white to a creamier, tinted shade and the stain set in a little deeper in areas that may have been sanded heavier. Looks like a 4o year old, dirt smudged guard.

Yes, warping is certainly a possibillity. It's not like baking brownies. Some periodic checking is in order every few minutes or so after the first 20-25. I found that 30 minutes didn't give me the desired effect so another 30 with a close watch did the trick. I wouldn't go too long it might look rediculously fake.

It's more of a color changer than a "relicing" technique.

3. poopmillus

poopmillus NEW MEMBER!

Aug 9, 2014
    Santiago de chile
    did you put lacquer on it after the tint?

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 4, 2007
    New Jersey
    You know this is a five year old thread and demillso hasn't posted here in over a couple of years, right?

5. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Sunlight! A hearty dose of UV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.