Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to 'age' a pickguard?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by LUKO, Apr 6, 2007.

1. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was looking at a site called relicdeluxe.com the other day they had alot of relic ideas.It's worth a look

maxvintage likes this.

2. Johnny Caster

Johnny Caster Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    San Antonio, TX
    How to age a pickguard? Patience my friend.

3. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2006
    Wiltshire, England
    I just pick up parchment or mint green ones off Ebay, they are not expensive & not as much hassle. I keep the originals as it adds to the resale value.

4. Donovan_45

Donovan_45 TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2006
    I used a minwax spray that was honey colored, let that sit for 30 min then lightly wiped off the excess. Wipe gently enough to just even out the color, wipe too hard and it will come off. You can try adding more coats to reach the desired color, but when you are satisified let that sit for one week or so to somewhat dry. Then, go over it with a couple coats of minwax clear polyurethane. The clear won't change the color and makes the finish ultra durable.

5. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Dec 30, 2005
    Liberal Lakes
    With none of the above (and appreciated) suggestions working for me a year ago, I took off the white and got a 5 hole blackguard for my blond Hwy 1. For me, the, quest was over.

6. Jelly

Jelly Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2006
    Wheezy Ana
    demillso already gave some good advice. The trick is adding heat.

I should have remembered this from my work with plastics, but I tried over and over with the coffee thing and it never worked. Then I added heat (I used a regular oven at about 150 celsius for maybe only ten minutes) and it worked - it really worked.

Scuff it with fine sandpaper or steel wool, put it in a shallow pan with enough coffee to cover it, then heat it and check the results. GO SLOW. You have to be careful not to get it too hot because the plastic will shrink. Mine shrank enough to make it difficult to get the pickups back in, but I got it worked out.

7. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

Nov 26, 2005
    Germany
    There was a great visual example over at the ReRanch board a short while ago where someone aged the Pickup covers with coffee and they turned out great and looked just like my old ones.
    The coffee he used was hot, though!
    Maybe it's really the heat factor - no matter if it comes from an lightly heated oven or from the hotness of a fresh brewed coffee or tea?!?!

8. ultraeconomike

ultraeconomike NEW MEMBER!

May 1, 2009
    Silverlake, CA
    I've obtainede excellent results with stratocaster knobs by dipping them in tea and then burying them in the garden for a while.

9. julesyoung

julesyoung Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    alnwick uk
    funnily enough , ive got 1 listed at the mo...

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    I have only ever been happy with the results of ageing with a UV light. And with that you have to be careful because most pickguards will deform horribly in direct sunlight.

11. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

Oct 3, 2006
    Denver
    Necropost! Over 3 years old....:eek:

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Still a good topic though. A lot of threads are good learning tools so some of us don't have to keep posting answers to the same questions over and over. Some people feel like a thread belongs to the OP, and we should only directly answer the OP. I look at it like an information resource.

Its not like, who do you think will win the 2007 Superbowl?

13. flanders7423

flanders7423 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I used this to enhance the pickguard on my Road Worn Tele. Worked great. The pickguard was pretty porous to begin with, though.

14. 52 tele

52 tele Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    U.K.
    Drive out to the moors,find a peat bog,using a shovel to slice down into the peat,
    then insert your guard and remember to mark the spot for future retrievel at a
    later date depending on the amount of 'age' you require,I aint jokin' try it.

15. Phil O'Keefe

Phil O'Keefe NEW MEMBER!

Apr 14, 2010
    Riverside CA
    Peat bogs aren't terribly common here in Southern California. ;)

Guys who have tried the RIT dye / hot tea & coffee: Does the color wear or wipe off? Does it "scratch" when subjected to picking?

16. ckroenlein

ckroenlein Tele-Holic

Sep 29, 2006
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Best bet is to start with a parchment or MG guard to begin with. Tea is better than coffee. Do not spray with anything, it will rub off and look bad. Dyes are the only permanent way.

17. 52 tele

52 tele Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2008
    U.K.
    I see your point,but what I,m getting at is that if you use a medium
    like peat you could get the right result,even horse manure may well
    work but don,t hold me to that........:eek::lol:

18. 52'Stu

52'Stu TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    -sand pickguard to dull finish
    -Brew extra strong pot of coffee
    -lay pickguard in a baking sheet or brownie pan
    -pour in coffee over pickguard
    -heat oven to 400
    -bake for 1 hour

PRESTO!!!

19. tonewoods

tonewoods Former Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Orcas Island, Washington
    Have you actually done this, or are you speculating??

If "yes", was warping an issue?

Thanks!!

20. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Weird this came up as I spent Saturday trying to age a Les Paul style switch tip.

Tried the coffee thing, scuffed it a bit, stronger coffee thing, WAY stronger coffee thing, soaked it 4 hours in 1/4 cup of fresh grounds and just enough water to make a nasty mud-like substance. House smelled great but the tip is still white. I'm going to look into heat...

My brother came in during the process and remarked that you can buy an aged tip on ebay for $1.50. He just didn't understand... Sheesh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.