Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How to add Bias Pot 90’s Fender Deville

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RDog, Mar 8, 2018.

1. RDog

RDog TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    California
    I recently purchased a really cool original USA Fender Deville. I’d like to add a bias pot. Do anyone know what parts are needed or have some instructions? Thanks for your help!

2. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Got a pic or two? Just want to make sure I'm looking up the right amp. (Is that a Deville, or a Hot Rod Deville? I've only run across the latter).

3. RDog

RDog TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    California
    It’s not the “hot rod”. It’s just the Fender blues Deville. It’s tweed, 212 and made in the USA. I’ll grab a pick as soon as it comes in.

4. RDog

RDog TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2018
    California
    8A72A3A7-54CC-44D3-9BE4-8E679F189C61.png 854484EB-9750-42A4-96A1-1364351405DD.png

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Oh, that's definitely an older one. Nice!

Torres Engineering sells a mod kit, presumably with directions, for those. The preferred method, IMO, is replace R87 with a 15k resistor and add a 25k linear pot in series with it. Either a full size pot or a PC mounted trim pot will do nicely there.

And the usual disclaimer of high voltage dangers, and the risk of PCB damage while doing this mod if you're not experienced in working on cheap boards. It's a simple mod for a tech once the chassis is out and safe to work on.

Andy B likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.