Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How thin is too thin.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    So i picked up some walnut for 20 dollars. I was planning on making a semi hollow tele. And I've read on here an inch and 3/8 is pretty much the thinnest you can go on a tele and still use a selector switch. My question is can you use a pot to blend pickup vs a selector switch. The walnut boards got a slight bow after cutting them and after flatning I'll be looking at an 1-1/4 in to 1-1/2 inch depending how much more they move. I figure worst case I could angle the selector switch. My other idea was making a thin acoustic tele. I saw a thin acoustic yesterday and fell in love with it. Let me know what your opinions are. Picks below.b IMG_6626.PNG IMG_6632.PNG

ftbtx likes this.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I don't know how thin is too thin. It's like [you-know-what]...hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

3. maito

maito TDPRI Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Finland
    image.jpg
    Jazz bass has blend pot, same wiring should work with tele too. I have jazzmasterish build with P90's wired like this

Bugeater281 likes this.

4. Garruchal

Garruchal TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    Yes, you can use a pot to blend the signals from pickups. If you don't need the switch to look like a typical guitar switch, you can choose from a large number of rotor, toggle, dip, or jaguar type switches in many sizes. Electronically, a switch is a switch, and they come in all sizes. You could get a double pot to adjust volume from each pickup, but they might also be deeper.

5. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2016
    Omaha
    Thanks for the replies. Has anyone tried free floating pickups is a hollow body tele? I'm mainly an acoustic player. I started building electrics to get some experience and hopefully build an acoustic someday. I love the sound of hollow body's and was thinking of trying a semi hollow/ hollow body mixture. Not a true hollow body and not a true semi hollow. Somewhere in the middle.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    .008's are too thin.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Jazz Bass wiring, blend pot or slide switch could work.
    The real problem with thin acoustic guitars is volume, because they're thin.

Rod type piezo's sound great.

Bugeater281 likes this.

8. double_a

double_a TDPRI Member

May 16, 2017
    Toronto
    If you are going to build a Tele similar to those guitars pictured, you have yourself an interested buyer right here

Bugeater281 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.