Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[How] Should I think about a compressor...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 26, 2017.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    I can't buy anything without touching/playing it.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Once I remember what I learned doing live sound (15yrs ago,) I'll be fine with it. I imagine I'll play with it to learn how it affects my tone and then find a setting I like and be done. I would rather have the flexibility than feel limited...I'm a relentless twiddler, but once I find what I like, it stays.

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    True :lol:

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I got mine new for $106 through Reverb. The multi-band compression alone makes it worth the money especially if you're using a single coil guitar IMHO. Lots of good pedals out there to compete with though for sure!

5. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I get great Knopfler tones with a Strat and CS3 into a big clean Fender amp

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I didn't mean it's impossible, but I feel there are many better options if that's the tone you're chasing. Not that the OP is.

7. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    Ok, so after being out of town all weekend, I finally got to plug in the empress and give it a spin....

...awe...snap... :D:D:D

RetroTeleRod likes this.

8. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    In depth review! In depth review!

bluesholyman likes this.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    Greater Atlanta
    I basically set all knobs at noon, then brought output down to unity around 9am, set compression ratio on 2:1 and the meter on both. Left side of meter (moving left to right) shows guitar input level, while right side (moving right to left) shows gain reduction - that is cool because I can see two things going on at once, and who doesn't like dancing lights...

My initial thought is "my guitar just more of it" and maybe a little more defined(?) - not sure how to describe it, maybe mid highs are a little crisper? Its a really nice sound, so much so, that I am thinking I can probably drop the Jet Drive from the board as with the extra oomph on V1, the JD9 has become unnecessary (see alternate post about this, going up shortly.)

I am still playing with it, but like my three green grins said, I like it and I like how it sounds. I'll post more once I figure out a few things, but for setting everything at noon and just smiling from the first note, to me, that says something. I think once I figure out the right attack/release settings, I'll have to wipe drool off my board...

moosie and RetroTeleRod like this.

10. CyrusF

CyrusF Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2016
    Illinois
    Some people actually set the volume on their comp to below unity to clean up their sound without losing fullness. Just a subtle dial back in volume can do the trick! Maybe give that a try.

11. RetroTeleRod

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    You heard it here first folks, bluesholyman gives the Empress comp three green grins! Let the drooling commence.:lol:

TakkOne and bluesholyman like this.

12. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2017
    Texas
    If that's loud enough for you, that's fine. If you're looking for more volume, try replacing V1 with something less gainy.

I think of a compressor as a limiter. It limits the signal coming from your guitar so the attack can only get so loud. But it allows you to turn up the quieter parts, the decay, the sustain, the release.

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    a

choice ....
    A.) Sweetwater Music
    B.) G.C

ah, what's behind door number 3?

for wrinkle free online transactions I use Sweetwater Music. Unless I feel the need for more chaos and aggravation in my life

14. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    This might really be a new topic, but I don't understand the benefit of a blended compressor. I use a blended envelope filter, blended chorus, even blended overdrive. But surely the whole idea of a compressor is to get rid of the overtones that the uncompressed sound produces. By blending it, don't you keep them?

I'm not trolling, nor even stating an opinion I'm asking.

15. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I'm back on the fence with compressors. Just took the Barber Tone Press off the board after years of using it and you know what? I can hardly tell it's not there so guess what?

It stays off.

I guess I'm a no compressor kinda guy again.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.

16. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    You're right, they don't do much. I think they're more useful for recording. I get why chicken-pickers like them, though.

songtalk likes this.

17. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    It's the same as your other blend knobs. It lets you keep some of the original sound while also having the advantage of the effect.

Think of it as an outboard presence knob. It lets you tame the original signal without squelching it completely - softens the texture without sanding it away altogether. Your guitar still sounds like your guitar.

If you're into ample distortion, the guitar's actual sound doesn't matter. But if you like how your guitar sounded right out of the box, blendability is useful.

As a blues and folk guy and a non-pro, I've rarely used compression. But it's good for some styles. If I ever decide I want it for guitar, I'll probably get a Tone Press.

stnmtthw, songtalk and dlew919 like this.

18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Thanks. I'll have to try it.

19. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I do too. I like how they even everything out, but even chicken picking is fine without one. I mean, a lot of great country has been played without one, but for "that sound", they rule.

I was playing a lot more at home when I took to mine and lately I've been gigging a LOT and it seems really superfluous now.

20. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    I use an Xotic SP. The only controls on it are a small toggle switch (for low, medium, or high compression), a volume knob (it would probably be called level on another comp) and the blend knob. It makes it very easy to dial in exactly where I want to be, very quickly.

The blend knob also makes it incredibly versatile- I use the same pedal for guitar and bass because it's so easy to dial in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.