Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How serious is this crack?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Pond, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Pond

Pond TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sweden
    Hey everyone,

How concerned should I be about this neck pocket crack?

Deciding whether or not to buy this cij late 90s tele...

Bonus points if you can say with any certainty whether it looks like ash or basswood or...

Close observers may notice that the neck is stamped tl52dex2 while body is tl72. It was sold as a 50s style (current owner replaced the blackguard with white), it is my understanding it came from the factory this way as I have found other online examples of this kind of mismatch.

IMG_20171005_190319.jpg IMG_20171005_190314.jpg

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Holic

Nov 26, 2014
    London
    I was hoping to see little more than a laquer crack.

But it looks like it goes from the top of the body, along the pocket and down the outside. It doesn't appear to be open so may be stable.

So my question would be, with the millions of teles out there, why would you want one that could potentially have stability problems?

gitarjoe likes this.

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i would take the pickguard off and see if the crack goes further.
    maybe mount a piece of would in place of the neck, a bit narrower than the neck so you can see the crack en try to bend if you see some change in the crack

4. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I very much doubt it's going to fall apart, but if you buy it it's going to be hard to sell

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen a lot worse. Have you seen the crack on Steve Vai's main JEM 'Evo'? :eek:

6. Pond

Pond TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sweden
    Thanks for the replies :)

@John
    yes, that is the same question I am asking myself... I guess that's why I am interested in finding out how serious it is, because I like everything else about the guitar. He is now willing to sell it for the equivalent 350usd with a hard shell case. I don't have a lot of money at the moment so it is attractive in that sense.

@hopdybob
    I should have taken the pickguard off, that would've been intelligent. I will do that if I go to look at it again.

Playing it has convinced me that I really want a vintage neck ie. Soft v profile and 7.25 radius. I can't afford an av reissue, even used, so am I right in thinking that an mij/cij tl52 is my best option?

Other things to note are that the frets are about 50% worn and the pots are scratchy. If he is willing to take 300usd with the skb moulded hard case...should I take the risk or just keep looking??

7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    You have doubts , and no one in here can really tell you whats best for you....Would you be willing to change the body out , if this bothers you more over time ?
    On top of that , low frets and quirky electronics.....
    Naaaa , plenty of fine cheap guitars out there , IMO...

8. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Aug 19, 2007
    Who wants to know?
    "How serious is this crack?"

I don't know, why don't you ask it? :rolleyes:

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm thinking I'd pass. I'd rather spend more for one without that issue.

ndeli55 likes this.

10. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Body's basswood IMO. I think that's just a crack in the finish. 50% frets..... Wouldn't be much left. That's be the biggest issue unless you're buddies with someone who can do a fret job. $300 - about 250 Euro?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but that looks like 2 separate cracks, both of them in areas that are not uncommon in Teles. It took a pretty good bump/fall/whatever at some point.

Neither of them is going to cause a problem in playability, stability, or anything else. It wouldn't be a bad idea to stabilize them by wicking in some thin CA glue, but I doubt they're going anywhere.

Scratchy pots on a used guitar is nothing. Cheap and easy to clean, no big deal to replace. The worn frets are another issue. If you like the way the guitar plays, I wouldn't let it worry you. If the wear is making for some buzzing notes, then it might be significant.

I vote that if you love the way the guitar plays and sounds, then you keep it and try to negotiate for the best deal you can, knowing that you might need to do a little maintenance.

12. Pond

Pond TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sweden
    @Jupiter
    Yeah... That would be the safe option. Though it would be almost three times more :/ (here in Sweden).

@KokoTele
    You can't really see it in the photo but they are joined. The crack runs along the inside corner of the pocket where it turns from horizontal to vertical.
    Your advice seems pretty good, maybe because it's similar to what I'm telling myself haha. I think I'll go check it out again a bit more thoroughly and see what happens.

13. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    If you can't flex that joint open, then I wouldn't worry about it. Guitars with much worse cracks get fixed and played all the time :)

14. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Well, it's a crack at the worst possible place - It must be serious enough. Unless it can be proven that this is a superficial finish crack, not the wood.

15. Pond

Pond TDPRI Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sweden
    The wood is cracked.

16. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    tom morello recorded his grammy nominated tracks with neck pocket cracked mexican strat on 15W transistor amp... he is laughing that when he gained custom shop instruments he was no more nominated on any price

17. KokoTele

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    It's clearly a crack in the wood, but it really isn't the "worst possible place." Most of the work to hold that joint together is done by the mounting screws, and many necks don't touch the sidewall of the neck pocket at all.

That crack is not affecting the sound of the instrument one bit. It's probably not affecting the neck stability either.

If this were a used car, this would be the equivalent of finding that the brakes had more wear than you thought. It's not the equivalent of a cracked engine block.

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Koko; I dunno man

You sure know better than me; but if only for psychological reasons; I would steer clear from a guitar with a crack there (stupid maybe - but oh well...)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.