Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How much would you pay for a 1978 Les Paul Custom???

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Telephonist, May 30, 2010.

1. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2010
    Germany
    Hi,

I met a guy yesterday who wants to sell a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom. He said it was played a lot and definetely needs new frets and has some dings and dongs, even on the back of the neck. So it´s worn hard, I guess. It´s also very heavy, as most guitars of that period. But it´s all original (pickups...). He actually prefers his 1999 Les Paul Standard because it´s lighter. And the weight is the main reason, why he wants to sell it. By the way it´s lacquered in wine red.

He wants 1500,- Euros for it. Do you think that´s good? Have they already a vintage value or will they become collectible soon?

I don´t know what to do. It doesn´t sound all too good: heavy weight, played hard, fretjob needed...
    I don´t want to buy it, just because it´s vintage, I want a guitar that plays and sounds good... What would you do? At first I thought 1500,- euros is cheap, but when you consider all the downsides... :confused:

Thanks Daniel ;)

2. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta
    Didn't you play it yet ?
    Refreting will cost up to 200 Euro .
    You'll get a new Les Paul for the same amount .
    On the other side a vintage guitar has it's own charms .
    You're shure the pups and electronics are all original ?
    Dongs on the neck ?
    Have you already seen the neck pocket ?
    Nothing broken , or cracks near the set neck ?
    I'd be careful ....!

3. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 6, 2009
    the delta bc

4. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    Uhh, if so many points speak against it, why are you even thinking about buying it?

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's good. If it played and sounded good and didn't weigh a million pounds then I might buy it.

6. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 15, 2009
    Bavarian Iller Delta

7. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

Apr 24, 2008
    Long Beach Ca.
    In My experience with 70's Customs (I have an early 70's Custom sunburst) there is some real gems mixed in with some real doo-doo ,You really gotta play it ,and I agree with Stuco ,look for a light weight one.The wine colored ones are beautiful good luck.

8. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2009
    UK
    The Norlin haters will probably say it's a little overpriced, but with guitars from that era it's all about how they sound.

I always say pay as little as possible, you don't loose anything from trying to lower the price. I would not pay 1500 euros for a 70s Custom unless it was one of the early 70s reissues with cool Alnico Vs and stuff. For a regular dime a dozen white custom I'd basically try to get it for as cheap as possible, but only if it sounded great.

9. jrich99

jrich99 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2009
    AZ
    If it sounds and plays good, and it is all original yes. Site-unseen no.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I love my '71 Black Beauty. Play it and see if you dig it.

11. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    This might cheer you up-I have an earlier wine red custom,very thin frets,I'm not sure I reckon '73/'74,vgc but my local shop(the original vendors they thought) were asking €3,000 for it back in 2002 and I bought it for close to that figure because I really liked it,perhaps its the thin frets but it shows much more tonal variety then most Gibsons I've owned or played,great feel and very resonant so I was sucked into paying too much! I doubt its worth that now but its one I'm hoping eventually to leave it as a family heirloom so thats not an issue!
    They are rarely for sale in Ireland,more common in the UK and are unfashionable right now,so I wouldn't buy as an investment though if you keep it long enough you probably won't lose-however if it you play it and it speaks to you I think its a good price for Eurozone....
    My final point-though the custom was the "prestige" Les Paul in Gibsons eyes its the Standards that carry all the Greeny/Clapton/ Page expectations-me,I love the Customs 'cos Steve Jones,The Undertones etc used them so you can just stand there and bash it out,I'd have felt like a real prat with my ability and a standard dangling off me in a punk band......!

12. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    I've only played one LP from that era, and it was a real gem, but I've heard lots of horror stories, too. Definitely play it, first, if you can manage it.

How would one 'see the neck pocket' on a Les Paul?

13. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    How would you see the neck pocket...that reminds me,and excuse me chiming in again-ebony has the name of being difficult to glue and the tail of the board can lift from the guitar body-if you do get to play it check for this,esp on the cut out side.I have a second Custom,1980,thicker frets,thicker maple neck,heavier,bassier sounding,a very average Gibson but a decent workhorse-I can slide a slip of paper under the fingerboard until it touches the heel tenon! I got that about '98 (way cheaper!)and its not moved a fraction but do watch for it as an issue with these-I don't think it arises with Rosewood boards.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Maybe he's talking about the tenon?

15. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 3, 2005
    SW CR IA US NA PE
    I would pass. It's not vintage/collectible, it's heavy, and needs work.

16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    +1 with SCott. IN that condition, it is a player...not a collectible.
    Exception: HEavy.....heavy does what heavy does, and some players like it....sharp/quick attack, increased sustain, greater articulation. I don't let heavy get in the way if I am looking for those attributes in a guitar.

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    How much would you pay for a 1978 Les Paul Custom???

Rainman... "bout a hundred dollars"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.