Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How much should refretting cost?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by aunchaki, Jul 5, 2006.

1. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    I'm not asking for exact figures, and I know it must vary wildly. I simply have no idea whatsoever what this costs. I just bought a [very] used 1995 MIM Tele with some serious fret wear. I can live with it for the moment, but new frets must happen eventually.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

One of the beautys of Leo's design....I would venture to say w/ the plethora of nice MIM necks on e-bay...or an All-parts from our own Rob...would be way cheaper (and faster) than a refret.

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Depends on the kind of neck, fingerboard, and what other work might be needed. Also factor in if a new nut is required - this may be true if the nut slots are too low for the new frets. I sent ya a link to my services, for comparison.

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Depends on who does it. Its usually way cheaper to buy an Allparts neck with frets than to have one refretted.

5. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    Maybe.

Figure on a total $150 ticket for the refret, and the old nut can and was resued.

That new, but unfinished $125 AP neck ($150 list) will need a $50 nut (and you'll bring over the tuners and string tree), so yer out $175.

If the new AP neck is finished, that'd be around a $235 cost (discounted), with new nut.

But maybe newer is better. YMMV.

6. CTSativa

CTSativa TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Athens, GA
    Hey Rob,
    Know anyone in GA to recommend for a good refret job? Also - I've been waiting months for a local amp guy to find a new switch for my run of the mill, stock Tubescreamer. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much.

- Cameron

7. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009

8. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Because it's MIM and there is no collector's value, an MIM neck off eBay is probably your most economical choice. There are a few companies that part-out these guitars new. I've bought two alder Strat bodies this way. I prefer the AllParts necks myself (being a dealer doesn't hurt!), but like Rob said, you still have to finish it, and there IS that pesky decal situation. ;)

9. boomboomba

boomboomba Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2009
    Montréal
    Umm, a $50, five-oh, nut on a $125 neck? Seriously?

10. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    yes, VERY seriously.

you think that a $500 fender usa neck is any better than a fender japan $170 neck? you think there's a real difference (other than the fender decal)? think again. you will find summa those fj necks sported on both mia's and custom shops, i kid you not.

besides, it's all a matter playing functionality, and if you follow the 'vintage reasoning logic' (an oxymoron if ever there wuz one), that would put real 50's/60's fender necks as far better than the cnc stuff created these dayze ... imho, NOT!.

there's a lotta sizzle and no beef these dazye in the guitar industry - everyone's playing the vintage hype nonsense to the hilt.

11. Rob DiStefano

Mar 3, 2003
    NJ via TX
    ooooooo, i said that about a LOTTA guitars i ditched, back in the 70's, and boy did that make my bank account wince in the 90's! :D

12. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

Mar 12, 2006
    Central New York
    Wow! This is a Zombie thread (i.e. back from the dead). ["Mmmmmm... brains..."] Took me by surprise seeing my handle on it.

Good to hear from you, Rob!!

13. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Really Rob, I do seriously doubt the inherent future collectability of MIM guitars, but yes, I could be wrong too. Who woulda thought that the crap CBS was crankin' out in the 70's with huge neck pocket gaps and "everyday is Friday" workmanship would be worth the $$$ that they are now? I WISH I still had my '73 Tele!!! :rolleyes:

Why would anyone question $50 for a new nut is MY question. I don't think many players realize or appreciate the work that goes into removing, reinstalling and properly cutting and polishing a nice bone nut.

I agree with the vintage thing. Lotsa hyperbole, smoke and mirrors. If anything, the MIJ Fender necks seem to be more stable and solid than the American versions. In addition, the AllParts necks are cut in the same factory, which explains their exceptional quality.

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    The nut is the final piece of the puzzle. You can't adjust it or fix it with a soldering iron or a screwdriver. The nut slots spaced correctly...exactly the right width for each string...slot floor falls away at the correct angle...precisely seated in the slot...1/64" or less open string clearance at the first fret...Bent notes return to pitch.

That's worth $50 to me. How long do you think it takes a pro to make one?

15. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    It's maybe a $5 part. It can take most of or over an hour depending on how close you are to start with. I make more than $45 an hour and I'm sure lots of you guys do too. So if I work for Rob, I'm not going to get the whole $45 (not anywhere near it). Rob isn't either if he does it himself once you deduct taxes, overhead and mental anguish. Even if a pro like Rob can do 3 in an hour he might pocket a total of $50.....depending on his tax bracket. To me, that ain't much for a skilled craftsman.

16. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thirty minutes for a bone nut cut, shaped and installed.

17. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

If you are looking for a new switch I would think about getting hold of Robert Keeley. He mods the pedal and puts a new switch in for fairly cheap.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/

3m13of3lb5Q35T25R399ta3316a25bdc51553.jpg

18. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a "collectible" guitar that could use at bare minimum, a good fret leveling, and maybe a couple of frets replaced. Does anyone know someone in the Austin area that can be trusted with a valuable guitar and have a relatively fast turn around?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.