How much is too much for a set of tele knobs?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by appar111, May 21, 2019.

1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Looking to replace the barrel knobs that are on my Fender CS Relic Journeyman Tele that I bought last year. It's a sunburst 50's-ish tele (serial # on bridgeplate like up to 1953, but sunburst finish like they only did in '55 and '58). It also has barrel knobs that look more like early 60's tele knobs, so I thought I'd get something more 50's era-appropriate, i.e. some nice dome knobs.

Since the guitar is a blend of early 50's and mid-50's parts/color scheme, I thought I'd just go with a set of Fender '52 tele dome knobs. Got them, started to relic them up a bit to match the guitar and realized after that they sent me 2 different knobs! Both are round, but one has a slightly flattened top, and the other is much more gradually domed, with no flattened top. So there goes $16 :(

So now I'm looking to go with something from Mark Rutters-- at $50-55 for a pair of knobs (yikes!)

It's either Rutters 1953 T knobs:

http://ruttersguitars.com/rutters-1953-t-knobs

Or Rutters Nocaster knobs:

http://ruttersguitars.com/rutters-nocaster-knob

Which do you think would look better on a 2-tone sunburst tele, single-ply white guard and maple neck?

I know which I'm leaning towards, but curious to see what your opinion is. I'd be happy to just order some Fender Pure Vintage '52 knobs, but since the last set of knobs I got from Fender didnt' even match each other, I don't wanna take the chance on wasting more money... I'd rather just go with some boutique stuff.

2. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I pay the minimum for knobs. If they're decent metal and hold onto the pot shaft well, good enough for me. And if you're planning on relicing stuff anyway, get cheapies. They'll probably be lower quality finish wise and will fake-age easier I'd imagine. Save your $50 for... Well, anything else.

bravescoob, baiff, stnmtthw and 3 others like this.
  3. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

i think i paid 12 bucks for the last set

4. Andoris

Andoris Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

These cost $65/pair.

[​IMG]

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d go with the Nocaster. Also, check out his switch tip. Very cool.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Yeah, the Nocaster one looks "more right"...

8barlouie likes this.
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

After buying them from Stewmac for a while, I started buying the cheapest ones I could find on ebay. Quality varies but it's a KNOB. The Rutters stuff is awesome too, but I can't justify 25 clams. I'd rather splurge on overpriced components that affect the overall tone.

hellopike and nojazzhere like this.
  9. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, those are the ones I bought too-- from a different retailer though. And they ended up being 2 different knobs in the unopened packaging. Not sure if it was just an error when they were packaging them, i.e. they put one in that was a different kind of knob?

10. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I have the Rutters Nocaster knobs. Not too domed, not too flat and made of brass which feels good.

11. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

LOL! For those who just can't get big enough knurling-- take that, Glendale Grip-O-Matics!

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  12. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another vote for the nocaster set.

8barlouie likes this.
  13. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    nocaster all the way :)

8barlouie likes this.
  14. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...first off, you should be able to send them back and get what you want. Doesn't matter to you how it happened, you didn't get what you ordered, and the seller should fix that, IMO.

Otherwise, the Rutters knobs look too much like jewelry for my tastes - but maybe that's just the photo. The Darren Riley parts site had some Road Worn Fender branded knobs for $17. That's my best guess, but not my guitar. Here's the photo:

road worn.png

bravescoob likes this.
  15. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

I was looking at those same ones on Angela Instruments' Reverb page. It'd save me the trouble of relicing them when I get them.

As far as returning the ones I ordered, I can't since I started relicing them before I realized the knobs weren't identical. I put them immediately into my "relic chamber" since they were brand new and the tele I was gonna put them on is old looking and beat up.

16. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...I hate when that happens...;):D:)

17. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

$50 per knob? Seems a little extreme, but it’s your money. Nocaster gets my vote for the better looking of the two.

bravescoob likes this.
  18. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

If your pots are really smooth, don't need more grip than traditional ones offer.

19. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

If they're getting reliced, I think a mismatched pair might just add to the vibe.

rangercaster likes this.
  20. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The answer is always: depends on what you put them on. Just paid money importing a proper pickguard shield for my Jazzmaster... I could have used copper tape but it’s an expensive enough guitar to warrant US-spec upgrades.

For a Squier? Tape all the way!

If I had a custom shop guitar, it’d get CS quality parts... but quality is the key. If you can’t see the value, you’re being robbed. On the other hand, it’s simply good to value craftsmanship and local makers over mass produced or imported parts sometimes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.