Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How much did your partscaster cost? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Telephonist, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Partscaster's are only worth what you can get someone to pay for them. You'll most likely never get out of it what you put into it.
    A lot of high dollar name brand parts might get you some money as long as those parts make a good sounding guitar.
    That being said, most of my guitars are partscasters or homemade guitars made by me. I'll never get much out of them if I sold them, but they're not for sale. I like them all, they sound great, some took some time and work/rework to sound great. They were built for me and to me they are worth a lot. They'll get handed down after I'm gone or end up in a yard sale/trash bin.

If you want a guitar that has value/worth, go buy a good name brand guitar. Don't have the money? Start small and trade/buy and sell your way up. Hoping that you'll get good money out of a partscaster is like gambling, you may win - you may loose.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

2. Dragontele47

Dragontele47 TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2018
    CNY
    I've built a few. My Dragontele. Warmoth body, Mighty Mite neck, Fender locking tuners, Wilkinson trem and GFS humbucker size P90s. About $700
    .[​IMG]
    A Strat. Mighty Mite neck, Fender locking tuners, Squier Affinity body, Loaded Fender Standard pickguard and wilkinson trem. Don't think I had $250 invested, sold for $350.

[​IMG]

And ,I don't consider it a partscaster, Untill I swap necks with my Dragontele (I wand a rosewood fingerboard on it), My Esquire conversion, 2015 Standard Tele. with a Duncan Quarterpounder.

[​IMG]

I also have an upgraded Squier Affinity Strat, Black with B/W/B pickguard, swapped alnico magnets in and a Humbucker in the bridge. It's being swapped for a Squier Tele tonight. $85 total investment.

[​IMG]

A few other non Fender style highly modified guitars and a kit '58 Les Paul Junior replica.

Worth it? Absolutely. And I actually made money back onthe ones I sold.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

A lot more than I can sell it for.
    And yes it's worth it, the wife has no idea.

knockeduptele likes this.

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Oh I garantee you I could sell mine for whats in it. Or more.

5. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2010
    Portland, Or.
    My tele was mostly used parts, mitey mite Ash body, American Standard neck, CTS pots, orange drop caps, SD pick ups! All good stuff. I was in to it about $350.00, but recently had it shielded and rewired with Gibson style braided wire. I'm up to $440.00 now. Well worth it.

6. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Very cool. What neck is that?

7. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2008
    roch ny
    I have 4 parts casters. 2 strats and 2 teles. As to how they are worth it is what someone is willing to pay if I sold them, which I won't. The first is a strat I've had for years. The second is a tele I bought about 5 years ago, an Affinity Squier tele that the only thing I've done is added American Standard pups and a high quality 4 way switch. Has one of the best feeling necks I've played on a telecaster. I just recently put together another parts tele with a chinese body, American made pups, and a Chinese neck and decent tuners. Plays very well too. Next build is going to be ash tele with an American neck and pups etc. I just enjoy putting them together and playing them.

8. S-arm

S-arm TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2017
    Motown
    My partscaster started as a used MIM Standard strat I paid $300 for.
    Here is a list of upgrades, I did all the work myself.

Gotoh ns510fe-1 $145
    Fender locking tuners $55
    Fender string trees $8
    CTS 500k pots $20
    Dunlop strap locks $15
    Chrome volume knobs $18
    Warmoth pickguard $45
    Gibson burstbucker $120
    Mojotone quietcoils $150
    Fret level/crown/polish Free

All in total $880
    Craigslist market value $350

If I were to do another,
    I would start with something closer to the finished specs.
    The humbucker and tremolo were high cost items. A US lonestar strat comes with a nice trem and humbucker already but I love this guitar.
    It does everything I want it to.
    It is a great guitar and maybe a blessing the street value will preclude me from ever selling it.

[​IMG]

Zepfan likes this.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I've been seeing some partscasters show up in estate sales/auctions and in thrift stores with increasing frequency. Most are way overpriced at the initial sale but come down in price or get donated later. A few times I've seen heirs struggle with trying to sell off large (40+) collections of cheap guitars and partscasters after "Dad" died. Kind of sad and makes you think.

Zepfan likes this.

10. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Just an opinion but I think the Partscaster can be the ultimate ringer or killer sleeper guitar because it doesn’t have the pedigree of some fancy Artist series guitar that you’d be inclined to ***** foot around (the editor bleeped out a perfectly benign word).

Since it’s not a fancy reissue, tribute or sought after model, I’m more inclined to fuss with a parts caster or low cost model and perfect it. Any given day I’ll pull out a screwdriver, levelling Block, file chisel, soldering iron or whatever it takes to improve it incrementally.

The cheap Strat I bought last year for $250 has been completely refitted with everything except the paint, wood and frets. It’s probably cost me $450 in total now and it is the best playing guitar I own; the neck on that thing is where it’s at! The Telecaster I built cost a little more than that one (but not greatly) and it’s a close second. I learned a lot about setups, fret leveling and what I like and don’t like in the way of pickups and wiring on that guitar. I’ve been fussing with it for a little over two years.

With that in mind and past experiences have taught me that you just don’t get that level of perfection from walking in and dropping big money on a pricey, hi-end guitar unless you’ve got a guitar tech on staff to really dial it in or unless you’ve learned the ropes by hot rodding partscasters yourself.

TeleTown likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.