Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How much did your partscaster cost? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Telephonist, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Telephonist

Telephonist Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2010
    Germany
    Hi,

I'm waiting for my Warmoth neck right now. It will be shipped in about two weeks. When the guitar will be completed, it will cost nearly 1000 bucks. It is my first build and I'm very excited how good it will be,when it is finished. Are you satisfied with the quality of your partscasters? Did you bring it to a guitar tech after completing it, to get the precision work done? Do other people like your guitar, too? Or is it just a great guitar to you, because you built it? Can it compete with original Fender guitars? If yes: Usa, Japan, Mexico, Squier quality... Let me know!!!

By the way, I'm building a superstrat with two humbuckers and a Wilkinson Vs100 trem. It'll be the same blue color as my old Fordson Super Dexta tractor from 1964, which I restored for two years.

2. seanmarshall9

seanmarshall9 TDPRI Member

May 13, 2015
    Columbus
    Hey Telephonist,

$1000 sounds about right for a good one.

In hindsight, I wish I had just shelled out for all the top components- the best bridge, pickups, harness, and body. My Tele Partscaster was about 800. I got my "Loaded" polyurethane body from Stratosphere and an amazing neck- roasted maple Musikraft neck w stainless steel frets. It's a fantastic guitar, but now I would really love a nitro lacquer body and a better bridge pup.

My advice: Do your homework and get the best components you can. At the very least, any parts you swap out will re-sell for high value.

It's a constant process, but you ultimately come away with something more unique and catered to your music style.

3. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Best wishes with your build.

I have built 6 now, mostly out of used Fender (USA, MIM, MIJ) and other high quality parts (such as hand wound pickups from the UK). It can take a while to source the parts, but the results are excellent value for money. It is expensive (here in the UK) to build from all new parts.

Most recent build here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-mjt-aged-ice-blue-metallic-with-rosewood.789418/

telemnemonics likes this.

4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I paid about $200 total for everything in my partscaster. I made it to look like the American standard with sunburst. I am learning to play still, so I definitely wanted to learn with a Tele, and was also interested in the luthier side of things. I had fun doing the research, getting parts, doing the shielding/wiring, etc. I used Wilkinson locking tuners and pickups. Everything went okay, but I get some fret buzz even after doing a level and crown and setting everything up. I have not taken to a shOp yet. I think I need a shim in the neck pocket.

Good luck! Enjoy it.

5. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Here she is.

Attached Files:

6. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Parts casters are only "worth it" when the disillusioned builder sells it. Then you can snap it up, and mix and match with your other parts casters while the seller weeps about how "I can never get back what i put into it!"

cabra velha, Ricky D. and xafinity like this.

7. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I see your point but I had no such “illusions.” I only have $200 in it. I may pass it to someone some day though. I doubt I would ever sell it. Right now it is a great learning guitar for playing and building. Win win for me.

You are 100% right that if you are building to sell....nope.

cmclayton101 and drf64 like this.

8. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    image.jpg I bought a cheap Squier Surfcaster for $220 at GC. I loved the look of the surf green body and the Duncan designed lipsticks but the neck wasn’t doing it for me, neither was the whole trem, bridge system. I bought an all maple neck on sale at Warmouth and a brass block trem and bridge from Gfs. I spent more on the parts then the guitar itself but it’s a wonderful guitar now. In fact I’ve had a few people ask me to sell it to them for more then I have into it but this one ain’t ever leavin. And yes, I proudly put the Warmouth name and turtle on the neck cause it’s a great neck.

esetter, teletina, Southpole and 6 others like this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Mine (avatar) cost way more than it's worth, sorta.
    It's been a never ending work in progress since I got the neck in 84.
    I love it, and I'm still not done foolin' with it.
    I have spent way north of $5000 on it since it was presented to me in 87.
    I'm perfectly happy with every dime I spent on it, except for a crappy refret (it's 4th) in 97.
    It's been refretted 6 times.
    Plays great now.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    AJ Love, drlucky, Big_Bend and 2 others like this.

10. William SantAna

William SantAna Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil
    I dont measure the value of my projects since they are not made to compete to other models.

I know that they fit well to me, but it can be better or worst than a fender or a squier.

But I'm sure that there is not a strato or tele standard like mine...with the same specs and sound.

It glads me.

P Thought and Urshurak776 like this.

11. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Maybe $220... half of that cost was the Bigsby...

Worth more than that to me, but not to anyone else.

[​IMG]

12. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    I have three, each with over a $1000 into them. Probably closer to 12-1300 because of swapping out pickups and in one case a new neck. It's ok though because none of them are going anywhere since they are lefties that can't be bought anywhere that I've seen.

Pickin N Grinin and Slowisfast like this.

13. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have built 8 partscasters, varying in cost from $350 (GFS body/parts w/ Squier CV neck) to about $1100 (MJT body, top shelf aged HW and pickups, and Road Worn 50s neck).

Every one of them have been "worth it" for me - you get a guitar built to YOUR specs, for about the same $$, sometimes less even, than "similar" stock models. :cool:

drlucky, Slowisfast and BorderRadio like this.

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think the most costly of mine is about 900 dollars (oops), but mind you I swap, hoard, and sell parts regularly. Then there's the blurry line between build and partscaster, even harder to quantify person hours in that scheme.

My number one Tele is a partscaster, well worth it to me, but it's only a pile of parts to anyone else. There are no 'illusions'. I'm paying for the shats and giggles, gaining some experience and knowledge in the process.

Oh, hey pics! ;0

6E750497-C0FC-4929-84F4-573B439297CA.jpeg

15. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 29, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Sounds like you have the right idea. As long as you don't plan on selling it, a partscaster can totally be 'worth it'. I've put two of them together and they are both great guitars. I tried to not keep track of how much I spent. I just focused on getting the parts I wanted. If I had to add it all up it would probably come to about $1200 for each guitar. That might seem like a lot to most people but they are well worth it to me. They both play great and sound great and I learned a bunch in the process of selecting the parts, putting them together and setting them up, as well as, on-going tweaks. They both definitely feel like 'my guitars' rather than just guitars I happen to have if that makes any sense.

buckaroosterAndTwangmaster_800_600.jpg

16. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    My best estimate is that I've put $256 into my parts-o-Tele, not including its MIM Standard body. I'm not sure how to put a dollar value on that, because I got it in trade for a pedal that I bought for $15 a long time ago and rarely used, and that I probably could have sold for more than $100.

Is it worth the money? To me, absolutely.

17. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    Less than £200. Ibanez neck and Tonerider pickups. Plays and sounds as good if not better than my Baja. And different, so it complements it well. Worth it to me and it's not going anywhere.

[​IMG]

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Originally, I had only $120 into my Strat. It's probably around $200 right now with some of the higher end stuff I have put on it since that time.

My really nice Tele has $700 or so, but I went all in and bought Fender MIA parts (or the rough equivalent, where necessary).

19. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    That’s a beauty! Love that color.

20. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Let's see the tractor!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.