Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many Teles do you own. Why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by moosie, Oct 18, 2015.

How many Telecasters do you own? (any brand okay)

1. None (yet)

22 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. 1

228 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. 2

182 vote(s)
    23.4%
  4. 3

121 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. 4

83 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. 5

39 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. 6

32 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 7-10

39 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. 11-14

15 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. 15+

16 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I now own 2!
    After decades as a Strat player I finally bought a Tele 3 years ago. It's a CV 50's Vintage Blonde that I put Keystone pickups in, and later a Gotoh modern bridge on. Over the last couple of years I've been playing it more and more until it became my main gigging guitar. I've pretty much worn the frets out on it so decided a couple of months ago decided to try out something different - a 2016 50's Road Worn. I've loved it since I first picked it up. It's stock except for brass compensated saddles and a treble bleed. The hotter, thicker pickups sound especially great when the amp is cranked higher for rock and blues. The two Teles are different and I love both. I'm planning to stop with 2, although I said the same when I got the first ;)
    IMG_20160827_150048166.jpg RoadWorn1.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2017

2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

3. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Two (2):

1) 1968 Fender Telecaster.
    2) 1986 Warmoth "Mule" DIY.

4. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2010
    Houston, TX
    One.

Because I own one acoustic, one electric, and one travel guitar. I can only play one guitar at a time, people!

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's Daisy, guarding a couple MIMs:

[​IMG]

Some home baked ones:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Minimalist518 likes this.

6. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I've got four - an esquired CV 50s, Chris Shiflett signature, MiM standard, Squier Cabronita. I've tried to find Tele's with a diverse sound. I like the body shape and I like the "history" of Tele's - simple, maybe a bit rebellious, and yet still versatile. And I'd enjoy some more (an esquire with a "hard rock" pickup, one with P90's, a Nashville, a Baja) but we'll have to see. My skills don't justify more than one or two but oh well!

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    One (Esquired) because it's the *right* one!

8. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Kudos to those who have managed to get everything out of one Tele! Not there yet but I'm working on it...

9. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    I have 2. One is for standard tuning and one is (mostly) for open tunings for slide. I'd really like a 3rd so one can be dedicated to open G and the other open E, but then I'd feel.compelled to bring 3 guitars to every gig or rehearsal and that's getting a bit much for what I do.

10. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I had up to seven a little over a year ago. I'm down to two.

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    So what did you keep/sell and what made you cut down so drastically.

You had that 64ri you loved, no? :)

12. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just one!

It's a '63 I bought used at a garage sale for $75 in 1972. I have about a dozen other guitars, but I rarely play anything but my Tele, been my go-to for 45 years!

I did a crappy refin job on it when I first got it (hey back then it wasn't vintage), and I have replaced both pups, but other than that it's original (even have the orange fur lined case). Due for a refret soon, never been done.

Cheers,
    Doug

13. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    I sold both '52 PVs, 1 '58 PV, 1 '64 PV and a Paisley.

I still have the '64 PV that I loved and one of the Allparts Paisleys I had built by a luthier. Those are my lifetime keepers.

The other's sales help funded a beautiful Les Paul R8 and R4.

pondcaster and Lobomov like this.

14. Alaman

Alaman Tele-Meister

Aug 16, 2015
    Sweet Home, Alabama
    I have 5. Main reason why...Only way I could have instant access to all the pickup combos I wanted. Same reason I have 9 strats. Rock, country, blues specific...some overlap just because I wanted a set of pickups but didn't want to change any of my existing guitars. Also allows me to move pickups in and out of a number of guitars to see if one combo works better than another. I've had several sets of pups that I was about to get rid of but decided to swap into one of my other guitars out of boredom/experimentation and boom the combo was magic. Based on that experience, I can't really get down too hard on any pickup even though it is fun to debate on tone. I imagine in the right guitar and in the right hands most any of them can produce some magic. What better reason to get a new guitar :rolleyes::lol:

15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Mar 11, 2009
    Sand Land
    I own 4 the reason being that I haven't gotten around to buying the 5th. one yet and so on and so on.

16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    I never found the need to own more than one Tele but someday I'd like to buy an Artic White / Rosewood neck Tele to match my Artic white / Rosewood Strat.

I think that would be a cool contrast, I like white guitars for some reason (they pop). Pete Thorn's Suhr HSS Strat got me into white guitars and my Strat is a clone to his Suhr.

17. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 22, 2003
    Georgia/Minnesota
    Two because that's all I need.

18. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Dec 27, 2008
    Berks County, PA
    Right now I have 5 of them...2 will be sold after some minor work / TLC on them.
    The 3 keepers - 2 MIM Fender Telecasters, one a "regular", the white one in my photo, one an ash body, and the last a Squier CV butterscotch...I had planned to sell at least one of those 3, but they all have their good points, so I think they are keepers, at least for now.
    (Selling - an Averil Levigne Signature Telecaster, with the checkerboard PG and the single humbucker.... and a partscaster, very heavy body I think is solid maple, with a screamey older Tele bridge pup and some kind of P90 soapbar black plastic at the neck...it's a top loader, too...got it from a pawn shop years ago.)

19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I'm up to three! This is the first time I got to 3. Finally been able to sell the strat and got a tele. I really want a 60's tele. But for now, I dont have funds for a Squier CVC, so i opted for a CAR Squier Standard.

The fretboard was looking really dry, after 3 oil sessions, its now looking great and better than when I got it.

My thinline partscaster (Squier VM thinline body, MiM neck, Classic 60's pickups, gold hardware), American Pro Telecaster and Squier Standard!

Got my cheap rosewood fix!

FullSizeRender.jpg

20. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    (1) 1985 Squier Standard - retired, as the frets are worn out, and I'm told a re-fret would risk the lacquer cracking
    (2) American Standard - the modern incarnation of Leo's workhorse, great for most any kind of music

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.