How many Teles do you need?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ydwen Jones, Feb 8, 2019.

1. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am down to one GREAT Tele (Glendale black/maple board)

and

one GREAT Strat - (Fender CS Krause Master Design 50's -Moss Green/maple board)

Two great amps (blackface -deluxe reverb & tweed - magic deluxe pro)

I am set.

I hope!

2. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Definitely ned one, but two is even better:

1992 Amercan Standard (midnight blue), 2004 American Ash 8502:
    IMG_2781.jpg

Skamania and Ydwen Jones like this.
  3. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Yet another Tele body sort of showed up at the house today, but that's fine as I only have one neck left - well there is that chunky one up on the shelf......

Might need a support group as I pass double figures but perhaps this is not the place

Ydwen Jones likes this.
  4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

My avatar + one or two: an esquire for example or a 72 custom..

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Trust Einstein.

einstien_zps9caeee4e.jpg

Skamania, TeleTucson, wblynch and 3 others like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The true answer is probably three or four different formats, eg a 50s style, a 60s style, one with humbuckers....but I like 'em so much I make them and that's been very addictive so I now have ... a lot ... and I'll have to sell most of them. but for now...

The Tele is astonishingly adaptable as a base - more than any others guitar I'd wager - so only limited by imagination

mimmo and Ydwen Jones like this.
  7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

If you *want* a Telecaster, you *need* one.

wblynch and Ydwen Jones like this.
  8. RatTail

RatTail TDPRI Member

I have 2 telecasters. A Highway1 from 2007 and a 52 Re issue. Love them both. Theres definitely a i big difference in the two.
    Do I need more telecasters? Probably not, but I have a secret dream about the Graham Coxon signature tele.

Ydwen Jones likes this.
  9. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

You know, just looking at these, I know I need at least a few more!:)
    [​IMG] Tele Thinline 72 reissue Surf Green 2002.jpg
    Esquire roadworn BSB.jpg

Skamania and ickylick like this.
  10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I have the 5 Teles in my collection:

'72 Fender Tele Custom
    '78 Fender Standard Tele
    '86 MIJ Fender '69RI Pink Paisley Tele
    '90 MIJ Fender 50'RI Tele
    '15 Fender Mag 4 Tele
    '03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top

Some might not consider the Tom A a "Tele",but it's MY best Tele guitar I own.

I could actually go on the rest of my life with just the '86 Pink Paisley and the Tom A, and I'd be set for life.

So I guess the answer is 2 for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ydwen Jones likes this.
  11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

One for the money
    [​IMG]

Two for the show
    [​IMG]

Three to get ready
    [​IMG]

And four to go
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’ll say 6 because that’s my situation.

3 Customs/Deluxes. The burst is a modern Reissue of what I played in high school. I like the 4 knobs because I grew up with them.

[​IMG]

The black Standard is a parts caster and Blondie is a HWY-1.

[​IMG]

Number 6 is the Squier CV White Blonde that’s in my Avatar. It lives in a hard case at our practice space and some day I’m going to convert it to an Esquire and put an Esquire decal on the head stock (and I’m keeping it forever so don’t gripe about the decal please).

I suppose I need one. It’s not a need thing for me. It’s a passion and joy thing. I love playing; it’s my sanity and joy. I live within my means and my guitars are part of a 40+ year joyful personal thing.

I don’t have a sports car or a Harley. I no longer have my jet boat....I kayak these days. Outside of music I’m a pretty boring fellow.

I’m happy when I hear that anyone loves to play music. If 1 guitar fills your heart with joy then that’s awesome. Keep playing!

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

just one more. I'll buy that beauty and that will be it, this time it's the last tele that I ever buy, thou I like the new player series but this, this is the last one not like the last one.:twisted:

wblynch and Ydwen Jones like this.
  14. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Two, of course. One standard and one with p90s

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I've got three great American Teles, one Japanese, one Chinese and three Mexican made models. They all play and sound different and are all ready to gig or record. Do I need them all? Of course not- any two would meet any needs I might ever have. I keep them all because I use and enjoy them all. If I ever stop performing, I'll probably give some away and dispose of others.

The one that works best with my two bands also plays sweetly, so it's accrued the most memories, from great shows and recordings. It cost me very little money and looks like ten thousand others. I'll never sell it.

Over the years, if you play enough, you compile a shifting list of favourite specs- the feel of a neck and frets, the weight and resonance of a body, the utility and comfort of hardware and contours. Does this mean you should just buy guitars that meet this template? Hell no!

My '09 Baja is a North Star Tele- a fixed point of reference, a Platonic ideal, just for me. Does that devalue the other instruments? No; I enjoy the contrast, the change of pace and tone, the tiny alterations to technique, to amp settings, sometimes to the way i approach a solo, riff, groove or fill. Could I not improve the Baja- or buy a customised, 'perfected' version? I'm sure everything can be improved - but I'm happy to keep this one close to stock. I tend to wring everything I can, from a guitar, before i think about modding. Apart from peeling the sheets of candy paint from the body, I'm struggling to think of an 'upgrade', for it, after nearly five years of hard use....

So, to answer the question.... I need my Number One- plus another Tele -from a choice of seven- or seventy-seven! :cool:

16. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

well I can't say how many is enough but I can say 5 is not enough !

To an observer they all look the same, to the player they are not the same. While they each play well , they each inspire me to play a bit differently. To me they are similar but not the same.

I think most here who have multiple Tele's are not actually looking to add another but when they run across one that they like, it becomes the "next one".

How many Hot Dogs can you eat because one is never enough ! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Ydwen Jones likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I don't know if you can do any better than what you've got. I love the Yosemite pickups in my Performer Strat so much that I never play any of my other Strats since I got it. And I love it so much that I've been considering getting a Performer Tele also, in the same exact color as yours, 'cause I prefer rosewood boards over maple ones, and my Strat is the Honeyburst, so if I get a Tele I don't want the same color. And I love Sonic Blue. I have two Strats in that color.

Ydwen Jones likes this.
  18. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

It's not that I think I can get a much better Tele than the one I've got. I would just like another one and maybe do some modding. Or maybe I'll just start finding parts an try and build my own Tele. Maybe an HS or HH or a thinline. I don't know yet. I just feel a little restless. That's all.:)

19. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Only one, but I can't. :)

20. kaynray

kaynray TDPRI Member

How many tele's does anyone need? Just one more.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

wblynch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.