How many Teles do you need?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ydwen Jones, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
    I currently have only one Tele and I absolutely love it! I play it every day and I think it sounds and looks great. So, no problem so far, right?

But here's the thing. I’d like another. You know, just because. Maybe a thinline or an HS, an HH or maybe one of those nice CV ‘50s or a MIM Player? Maybe get an Affinity or Bullet, for upgrading? Or maybe a Standard? Or should I just buy a bunch of parts and try and start my own project/build? Not sure if I’m ready for that, yet.

Anyway, I don’t know. Why can’t one great Tele be enough? And how many do you need?:eek:o_O:rolleyes::)

upload_2019-2-8_14-13-15.png

chemobrain, OldDude2, Shuster and 5 others like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Folks here can give you their opinions but only you can answer your question. I’d ask myself why I want another Telecaster first and then I’d ask myself if another Telecaster is what I really need. I have four electrics with little sonic overlap, a Telecaster with N4 pickups, a Strat, an SG, and a Gretsch Anniversary. These are good choices for me. What will be best for you only you can decide.

Kriticaster and Ydwen Jones like this.
  3. rocking rooster

rocking rooster Tele-Meister

Oct 13, 2011
    Somerset UK
    At any time you need at least one more than you actually have.

4. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    because there are many great tele's

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
  7. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Feb 9, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Don’t do it. Because once you have more than one, then you have to make the decision about which one to play. Currently, you’re free of that worry.

8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
  9. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Same ol story. Had one. Joined tdpri. Next thing ya know... there's 8 teles in the music room and 3 more in cases.

[​IMG]

Now after moving most on and even selling my beloved lpb av64 (BLASPHEMY!), I'm back to just the one.

'08 rw50s blonde.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    DonM, Kebmel, whoanelly15 and 10 others like this.
  10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Australia
    Asking for it...
    IMG_20181203_140827.jpg

The min required... 5
    52 style butterscotch blonde, black guard... because that is where it all started.
    A Tuxedo... for those formal occasions.
    Pink Paisley... otherwise how cud u remember the 70s.
    American standard... need a benchmark.
    Thinline... for those poor old men that can't hold up a real guitar.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    It's not an issue of how many I need... it's an issue of how creative I can get with excuses for justifying one more. :cool:

It starts with "I need a tele with a neck humbucker"... it can progress to "Surely, everyone needs a different tele for each month of the year".

Clifton C, Ben-Zion, ndcaster and 3 others like this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I will let you know.... for any gig, only one of the three I own as they are all setup the same.

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 5, 2015
    Dee-troit City
    Mike Bloomfield, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, and Muddy Waters each owned just one. I own three. Make your own conclusions ;-)

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2017
    Oregon
    I need this one because it's fun to play, I need this other one because Keith Richards is pictured with one like it, I need this one over here because I pitched a fit to get it so now I can never let it go in my wife's lifetime, and then I thought I needed a red one so I bought it & then found out I didn't really need it but I'm keeping it anyway...

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    standard tuned with 11's
    standard tuned with 9's
    one tuned to G
    one tuned to E
    one with P-90's

so, about 10 or 11....

whoanelly15, OldDude2, DHart and 6 others like this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    You don't NEED more than one.....however you may WANT another, and that's your own concern.
    I have one that's almost perfect, especially with its Warmoth "fatback" conversion neck. I find my other guitars less comfortable to gig with because I love this FAT neck so much.
    The only way I would get another would be to get another (identical) Warmoth neck, but have radically different pickups, etc, so it was a different sounding guitar. Another possibe reason would be a "clone" to back up my #1 in the event of a calamity.:( So I guess there's always some rationalization to getting another one.....so why not? GO FOR IT!!!! ;)

17. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    An ash one, an alder one and a pine one.
    A blackguard, a whiteguard, a tortoiseguard.
    A made in USA, a made in Mexico, a made in China.

18. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 28, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Ah,we will all be a long time dead,so do what makes ya happy,works for me.

I have around half a dozen Teles,mostly homemade partscasters,which all had their turn when I was playing live. Now that I just use guitars for fun/recording,I find I use three,two of them Teles.

One partscaster with Rob's roaring pickups and a Nashville strung Tele with Keystones. My homebuilt Strat with more Cavalier pickups gets a fair bit of use too.

DHart, Kriticaster and Ydwen Jones like this.
  19. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2016
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you're asking the wrong question...

"need" isn't the proper word...

Kriticaster and Tim S like this.
  20. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I play with a blues duo and help with another couple of bands. Baja is great for the blues gigs cos it's so versatile. For the other work a Cab has a bit more grunt. Then of course you need back up versions just in case.

That's probably all I need and in all honestly I could manage with one of each. I recently bought a MIM Standard in Lpb. It adds absolutely nothing sonically or in terms of playability but it's very pretty and it's mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.