Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many people here are using a Yamaha THR10?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by teleamp, Mar 28, 2013.

1. soma

soma TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    berlin

I got both THR10 and THR10C.

THR10 came first and thoroughly impressed me. Convincing concept, first modelling-amp I could actually take serious. Good onboard effects, great additional functionality once you hook it up with the computer. I used to be one of these tube-snobs (Orange OR120 ('76), Engl Gigmaster,..), but to deny the useability of this product would be plain ignorance. It is actually a bliss and a very inspiring addition to my rig. Hence, it was an easy decision to get the 10C aswell.

Anyway, to answer your question: the THR10 breaks up later. THR10C has more of a tubescreamer-feel to it, especially with high output PUs.

I recommend to check out some videos though, both are quite different in character.

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    They aren't designed for headroom, they're meant to be played quietly. All of them except the THR-5 have 5 watts per channel, so there really isn't a lot of power there for headroom.

3. Tele-toter

Tele-toter TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Greensboro
    Thanks for the replies folks! I am going for a C model as soon as I can sell the V55.

;)

4. +1

Encouraged by this thread, I downloaded the editor software from the Yamaha site...

Wow! My 10C never sounded like this before! :eek:

(Must say, I found the process of saving patches to the Library less than intuitive, :confused: but I got there in the end...)

5. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    All the THRs, including the 5, have the same wattage.

6. Tele-toter

Tele-toter TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Greensboro
    let me re-phrase...of the three 10 watters, which one is the cleanest up the volume knob? I realize they are limited in head room...just wanted to know which of the three provided the most.. TY! :D

7. soma

soma TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2012
    berlin

again: THR10.

8. Ethical

Ethical Tele-Holic

Feb 22, 2008
    Norfolk, UK
    I Got a 10C just over a year ago and have used it almost daily since. If I lost it or it blew up then I would be straight out to buy another. It fills a particular gap in my requirements that no other mini/practice amp ever has.

It isn't a gigging amp although I've used it through a PA at a number of jams with good results. It isn't really a practice amp although you could practice using it. What it does for me is to provide a credible sound at a lowish volume with the minimum of fuss.

It sits unobtrusively on the floor by the couch instantly accessible whenever I feel like picking up a guitar and playing. It doesn't sound like a practice amp even though it doesn't move much air. I don't have to constantly fiddle with it to get a good sound. Finally, and possibly most importantly, it's the only amplifier I've ever owned that hasn't been the subject of adverse criticism from my wife :D - she can pick it up easily when she cleans, like the sounds I get from it, loves the fact that it doesn't need to be turned up to 11 before I'm satisfied with the sound. In fact the only complaint she's ever made is "Why doesn't it come in that nice cream colour?".

9. Tele-toter

Tele-toter TDPRI Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Greensboro
    I am convinced the "C" will be the ticket...now to sell some gear and pick one up! Thanks for all the input and advice!:lol:

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    Here's some good info about the free upgrade to the original THR amplifiers. I did the download last night and the improvements are incredible -- a great amplifier made even better -- especially to the clean and British high gain models.

11. blackfeetboy

blackfeetboy TDPRI Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NYC
    I'm wondering if the THR would be good for busking. If it has enough volume

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.