Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many people here are using a Yamaha THR10?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by teleamp, Mar 28, 2013.

1. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I guess I'll have to get e THR10C, oh well...

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Okay, I finally go off my lazy butt and went down and bought a THR10. What a cool little amp!

3. Shredhed

Shredhed TDPRI Member

Jun 3, 2013
    So. Indiana
    Best practice am p out there I think. But then again I like metal

4. harryhirsch

harryhirsch TDPRI Member

May 4, 2003
    Germany
    Hello,
    I have gathered a ot of information on the Yamaha THR 10 via reviews,videos and sound demos.These boxes sound awesome.I live in an apartment and get into trouble with the
    neighbours when I turn on my 5 W combo amp.So my question is : can i get a nice distorted sound at a reasonable volume level or do I have to use headphones?
    I would like to get all 3 models of the amp and put them in rack for home use,rehearsals or jamming purposes.At the moment I am noodling with a Fender G-Dec 15 Combo.It sounds good but it is too loud.I used a Peavey Vyper before and I still have the good old Pignose.
    Thanks
    Harry Hirsch

5. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    They sound great at very low levels, I wish they were available when I still lived in an apartment.

6. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

No headphones needed... That is what is great about the THR's, you dial in a sound you like and you set the output as you wish, but you can't get very loud on the cleaner settings, i think it would work great for you...

7. 3screw

3screw Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2011
    sacramento ca
    With my 10c I can great tone and breakup @ a level lower than string volume. To me it sounds best @ conversation level or just a little louder around tv volume. I can still have fun playing into the wee hours with my wife sleeping in the next room.

8. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I was jamming with a friend yesterday, and we played all day. I took my Bassman LTD with me. I absolutely love the Bassman, but don't get the chance to play it much because it's such a loud, powerful amp. I was stoked to get to play the Bassman for a change, but afterward was wondering, would I be disappointed with the THR after spending all day with the Bassman? I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I plugged into the THR. Sounded so good with my 52AVRI. It still amazes me that suck a small amp packs such a great sound and can be so versatile.

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I just got the thr10c nice little amp , very clean deluxe almost to clean , i got sc69 in my guitar and got the pickups real low there is a huge diffrence in amp beavior , compared to the in store test ...

I set em low because of my playing style , and get better note seperation , but feel i would get more out of the amp with higher output from the pickups , raising them should do...

If you need more headroom lower your pup .

Anyone tried the cubase ai6 ?

I can`t wait for more patches for the thr10c .

Mark

10. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    I tried both these amps out in a music store recently. I completely agree with your assessment that the Microcube got much louder clean tones. However, the Microcube sounded just horribly "boxy". So boxy that I would not buy one at any price, though obviously not everyone shares my opinion.

The Yamaha, by contrast, even with those tiddly little 3" speakers, did not sound particularly boxy. Then again, it was so dang quiet that I may have been unable to hear the boxiness!

-Gnobuddy

11. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    IMO Fender doesn't actually model that Blackface tone in the SCXD and VCXD. Rather, both those amps actually pack about half of an actual, vacuum-tube Fender Blackface inside the box, and that's where the excellent Blackface tone comes from!

If you look at the official Fender schematics for those two tube amps, the tube part of an SCXD is very similar to the latter half of a Princeton Reverb, and the tube part of a VCXD is very similar to most of a Champ.

I think the only part of the Blackface tone that is actually modelled in those amps is the tone control, which is done digitally. But the lovely "tubey" tone comes from the actual tubes in those amps!

The GDEC? Well, to my ears it sounds nothing like a good Blackface Fender clean tone.
    I have a PRRI too, and it's cleans are even better than the SCXD's, even at bedroom volume, as long as the guitar has fairly high-output pickups. And yeah, I've never heard a solid-state amp come anywhere near the PRRI's clean tones. I have only a brief aquaintance with the THR amp, but based on that short time I would say it comes nowhere near a good Blackface clean tone either.
    This is the one thing that has me still thinking about the THR amps. I can get great clean tones at low volume from the PRRI, but so far I have pretty much failed at every attempt to get good crunch / rock tones at the same low volumes.

In your opinion, how does the THR compare with a few carefully chosen effects pedals going into your PRRI, set at equally low volume?

-Gnobuddy

12. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I'll preface with the fact I hate modelers. I can't stand them, they just don't work for me.

The day before my daughter was born, I decided I needed an amp I could play at very low volumes while she sleeps. I reluctantly bought a THR-10.

This amp is amazing. Did it change my mind about modelers? Overall, no, but this modeler is a totally different story. It really does react similar to my beloved tube amps, and it does it at a very meager volume that I can enjoy while the baby sleeps. I buy and sell a lot of gear, but this thing has a permanent place in my collection.

Would I use it through a PA for live use as some other threads ask? No. But it's hands-down the best amp I've ever owned in my 25+ years of playing for quiet home use. (The second best was my old Tech 21 NYC TM30.)

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    The THRs sound great, but the clean sound is just too quiet compared to all the other sounds. As in, IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH!

The crunchy and brown sounds are great just the way they are, but I want more LOUD AND CLEAR!

Whatever you think of the MicroCube tone-wise, any amp that can't keep up with a MicroCube is simply NOT LOUD ENOUGH.

I haven't used my THR since I got my Super Champ X2. The Super Champ X2 costs $50 more, but it does everything the THR will do, except run on batteries...

The Super Champ isn't stereo either, but it sounds freekin' AMAZING. It's no surprise that the SCX2 sounds like a tube amp... because IT IS A TUBE AMP!

Has anyone here ever gotten their bundled Cubase program running correctly? I had such high hopes... In retrospect, if I had gotten the Super Champ X2 first, I never would have bought the THR.

I have to admit, I'm a bit annoyed by all these people who keep gushing forth about their THRs, but won't honestly admit to the short comings...

As I said before, if you like REAL CLEAN TONE, as in LOUD AND CLEAR, make sure you try one first... And while you're at it, try a Super Champ X2.

You'll thank me later! :cool:

Ps. I had a Tech 21 TM 60 for years. Yes, the THR is better for high quality tone at low volume. But the SCX2 is better still.

TRY ONE DAGNABBIT! :oops:

14. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2010
    British Columbia
    In the same store where I tried out the THR10C (priced at $300) was a Fender Excelsior priced at $350. Once again, a real tube amp for only fifty bucks more.

Admittedly the Excelsior is not at its best at super-low volume, but I still found it hard to ignore the fact that the Excelsior is much more of a "real" guitar amp than the THR.

My benchmark for clean tone was reset a few years ago by the SCX2's predecessor, the Super Champ XD. That was the amp that first made me realise how good tubes could sound, and that a $275 tube-solidstate hybrid had just beaten the pants off every solid-state guitar amp I'd ever heard in my life. Including the truly nasty-sounding $500 Line 6 amp I owned at the time. :oops:

Now I use a pre-loved Princeton Reverb I found on Craiglist for bedroom-level clean tones. As long as the guitar has reasonably strong pickups (or you use a little clean boost into the amp) you can get great "tubey" clean tones even with the volume set very low. Obviously, this amp can also get a heck of a lot louder than a THR amp with its powder-puff sized pair of speakers.

Oddly, the PRRI gets me great tubey clean tones at much lower volume than the SCXD can, unless I use a speaker attenuator on the SCXD. But what the PRRI doesn't do is produce nice driven / distorted tones at bedroom volume...the one remaining major gap that tube amps have yet to fill.

It remains to be seen whether some new development in tube amps, or some new development in solid-state amps, first gets us to that holy grail of great rock and blues tones at house-friendly volume. Let's say no more than 85 dB SPL at your ear, which is the point beyond which you begin to suffer loudness-induced hearing damage.

-Gnobuddy

15. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I bought my THR specifically for QUIET playing. If I wanna get loud, I have big amps that will cover that more than adequately. I have to agree, though, that if somebody is looking to own just one amp that can do a lot of sounds AND hang in a loud environment, the Yamaha isn't it-but that isn't what it was designed for.

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    The usual rules for small amps dont apply .Its not a small stage/practice amp that can be pumped into a larger speaker etc .Its technology is very different to other amps as are its speaker system .It does what it says on the label very well .It doesnt stretch to anything else.The SCX2 is a fine amp but its not doing the same job as a THR .The fact you love it doesnt negate the THR 10C ,just shows that its not the amp for you .

17. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

If you're concerned about clean volume try running a line out from the headphone jack into an efficient powered PA speaker or monitor. (If you have one of course - no point shelling out extra for one.)

I demoed the THR 10C through one in the shop and it was plenty loud enough for home practice and sounded better to boot. Had a fuller tone.

You would still have to be careful to balance the other models for volume, and you'd lose the portability.

18. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Please allow me to eat a little bit of crow... :oops:

One of my students brought his new THR10C to a lesson Monday night. We let her rip, and found a nice sweet clean tone, at a respectable volume level, from the Class A channel.

Most of the other channels distort with any kind of gain, so those aren't good candidates for loud and clear, but the Class A channel delivers...

Yamaha did recognize the problem, and in my opinion, they fixed it with the 10C. Not sure why the Yamaha reps at the guitar show weren't able to point this out to me... :rolleyes:

No matter, anything I can't do with my THR5, I can do with my Super Champ X2.

EDIT: The overlap between the SCX2 and the THR is significant. The SCX2 looks more like a traditional practice amp, but it also has the USB out and deep editing features... I still think anyone considering a THR should check out a SCX2 as well. ;)

19. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    I think you're missing the whole point of the THR: it's ability to sound good at ridiculously low volumes. If I want a "respectable" volume level, I plug into a bigger amp. If I want good tone at level that won't disturb the baby, I grab the THR10.

20. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Ok, but I humbly disagree. I think the point is to sound good at range of volumes, from the level of a whisper to the level of a shout, I.e., within the natural range of the average human voice.

In other words, what we guitarists commonly refer to as "bedroom volume" or "living room volume"...

The original THRs did not have a true clean sound that could hang at the same volume level as a the other channels on the same amp, or a microcube.... The THR10C does. The problem has been solved.

If you need cleans too, get a 10C.

Or a SCX2! :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.