Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many people here are using a Yamaha THR10?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by teleamp, Mar 28, 2013.

1. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    I've parked my tube amps since I got mine. Plus, my Slingshot sounds great through it.

2. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Jan 18, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    Very cool amp, I have never seen one in person. Two 8" speakers? How is the volume?

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Actually, the speakers are eight centimeters, not eight inches. These are SMALL amps. I want one. Don't need one, but I do want one.

4. joseito

joseito TDPRI Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Mexico
    I have the X version, Fan-tas-tic. It can be loud, for an amp that size. PLus, the app for tweaking the user memories is great.

5. teleamp

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Clean volume is very low, but the quality of the sound is great, I use the "clean" preset and it is very much Fender, my Reverend sounds great through the "Crunch" (AC30) setting. It can get very loud on the Marshall & Mesa settings.

6. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Just ordered a 10C .Not looking for an ersatz 100 watt stack in bedroom ,just a good fairly low volume play anywhere amp .That Iphone app looks interesting too .

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Got mine and it really is very good .It blows our old 5 -15 watt tube amps out of the water as its useable and at a reasonable volume. The technology has finally arrived .The tiny speakers make a lot of good sounds and make the old heavy tube and large speaker fairly redundant.it even feels like a tube amp when playing and the reverb is just fantastic .You just have to forget what has gone before in terms of small amps .This one changes the rules completely .Probably the best and most original technology to come out of Japan since the Mitsubishi Zero.:D

8. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    I bought myself on for my birthday a little over 2 weeks ago and freakin' love this little amp. In my humble opinion, it is THE best bedroom amp out there right now. I have read elsewhere about people complaining about the $299 price tag, and said that you can get a used Pro Junior or Blues Junior for that price, which is 100% true, but they are missing the point. You cant get the tones from those amps that the THR puts out at bedroom levels, and this thing sounds great for recording and the USB out makes it a breeze. I really haven't had a use for any of the onboard effects aside from the tremolo and reverb, and both sound great.

If you look at it this way, most boutique OD and distortion pedals are around $150, which is half the cost of a THR10. If you're looking for a gigable amp this isn't it, but if you want a really nice bedroom or practice amp that's priced really well, offers a lot of tone options, leaves a small footprint, and is great for home recording, I can't really see a better option than the THR10. The damn thin also has a built in tuner, presets that let you save your 5 favorite sounds, and you can tweak everything even further with the included software if that's your thing.

9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    I will be buying a THR 10-C as soon as the wallet allows. I need/want a pretty, small amp for the living room. I hope the sounds are as good as the reviews.

10. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    As long as you have realistic expectations and realize this amp isn't designed to replace your gigging amp(s), and are buying the THR10 for what it's intended for, I think you'll be very pleased with it.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I've heard the 10C doesn't really address the volume issues with the clean sound, but I can't find one anywhere to try! Hopefully they'll have some at the Dallas Guitar Show this coming weekend.

I think Yamaha is being very cautious about who they loan money too, especially since they've been burned before...

Got a THR5 not long after they came out, but went back to my trusty Cube30 for apartment practice because the clean sound on the Cube30 is comparable to the THR, but it's significantly louder too.

There are some great sounds in the THR... While it's not the primary tool I expected it would be, I'm still glad I added it to the stable.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    I have the THR5 (same wattage and speakers as the 10) and agree with all the rave comments about this technology. I'm really surprised these amps are not even more popular.

I've owned literally dozens of low watt amplifiers of all kinds (from tube to analog solid state to digital) and there's no question that this is the best low volume choice on the market.

It sounds pretty good cranked too -- check this video of my THR5 crushing a 15 Watt/8 inch GDEC with drums:

13. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    Good video. I've been really checking this out and have a few questions.

1) How strong do you think the Fender emulation is? I like the idea of getting the good "sweet spot" sound that you get with a classic Fender amp, but at a low volume in a portable package. I go back and forth between investing in an PRRI, DRRI or going for other options like a used Vibro Champ or one of the new Excelsior amps, but I don't really need an amp with a 15 inch speaker, like the Excelsior, and I'd rather not have to pay the premium price that some of those other amps have.

2) One of the other great things about the classic Fender amps is the built-in tremolo (or vibrato as they are labeled). How good is the tremolo effect on the Yamaha? I've been disappointed by the quality of other digital tremolo effects such as Digitech and Boss. Most of the Yamaha THR demos posted on YouTube are by people who don't understand how to use the tremolo, and they only show it for a few seconds, but at a speed where you can't really tell what the quality of the effect is. I'd like to be able to get a fairly deep or swampy type of tremolo. And does the knob control the speed or the depth, or do you have to use the tap tempo to set the speed?

3) Is it fizzy or buzzy like some amp modeling units when on the higher gain settings? Sometimes digital modeling can have a lot of static or digital artifacts. I'm not really hearing this on the video demos, but sometimes the audio quality on a YouTube video is too poor to tell.

4) And somebody mentioned that it has good harmonics and sustain/feedback ... can you get controlled feedback out of a Tele playing through the Yamaha?? Just curious.

5) And the last thing is just an opinion on whether it's worth having separate tone knobs on the THR10 instead of the THR5. Does the single tone control feel too limited in any way.

14. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Haven't been around here in a while, but I did get to try a THR10C at the Dallas Guitar Show.

I found that the 10C has the same problem as the vanilla THR10. It does not have a clean sound that can compete with even a Roland Microcube in terms of volume level.

The "brown tones" on the THR's are great, and in my opinion, thoroughly blow the Microcube away, but the clean sound on the Microcube is significantly louder than the comparable clean sound on the THRs...

The Yamaha rep at the guitar show tried to explain that since it's just a 10 watt amp, I shouldn't expect a true clean sound, but that explanation doesn't fly since the Roland Microcube has a true clean sound that's significantly louder than the THR, and the Microcube is only 2.5 watts... :idea:

Oh well, I like my THR5 for what it is, but I'm glad I didn't buy one of the new THR10s... Hopefully Yamaha will come out with one of these that has real clean sounds on a par with the great Yamaha amps of the past (E.g., G-100, DG-80, etc.)

I guess the old adage is true... "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

I still hope Yamaha will try and make a THR specifically designed for clean tones.

15. Hoodster

Hoodster Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2007
    Oregon
    Wow, FoundJoe, those are some great questions! You may want to copy and paste them into the THR Club thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owners-clubs/343478-yamaha-thr-5-10-club-12.html

You really need to play one to know for sure, but my gut response would be that if your priority is a great Blackface Fender tone, you might be better off with a Super Champ XD or Vibro Champ XD. I don’t know why it is so hard to model that classic tone, but the only one I’ve heard to do it convincingly is Fender (with the GDEC and XD amps). I think the Roland Cube Blackface model is horrendous, and the THR version, while very nice, does not really sound like a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb (whereas again the digital fender amps nail that tone).

I do own a very nice PRRI, and the Yamaha is certainly not replacing it. However, for plug-and-play low-volume home playing, especially 10 or 15 minutes here or there, the THR is KING. The best model, in my opinion, is the Crunch, which is somewhat misleadingly named, because you can get everything from a very nice Vox clean to a singing Brian May overdrive from that setting.

As for your other questions, I don’t find the high gain models noisy at all, and I think the tremolo effect is excellent. Mind you, I am not a tremolo aficionado and rarely even use it on my Princeton, but I do think it is one of the better effects on the Yamaha. I could take or leave everything else except the reverb, which is beyond brilliant (especially the Hall). It is the key to making the sound infinitely bigger than the package.

16. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    I appreciate the responses. That helps. The YouTube demos are definitely impressive and I like the Vox and Marshall emulations a lot. I think the Yamaha would be worth having, but I need to be judicious in acquiring any new equipment. Hard to justify some expenses to the wife.

I've also been impressed with demos on the Orange Micro Terror, Joyo American Sound pedal and Vox Lil Night Train, so I wrestle with the idea of getting one of those and supplementing that with a new tremolo pedal and maybe a new reverb pedal. In the latter case, you have a lot more instant tweakability than the Yamaha offers. One thing I hate about my other modeling pedals is navigating through submenus and/or having to edit through the PC. The Yamaha looks it comes about as close as anything to giving direct access to the most important functions and it seems like it would provide a much better bedroom-volume option than even those smaller amp heads going into a small cab. I like the all-in-one idea that you can get with the Yamaha. I'm not too worried about having precise models of the different Fender amps, but just a strong general emulation. The Super Champ XD/X2 route is fairly attractive, but to have the same basic capability in a much smaller package would be even more attractive.

17. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have a THR5. I like it. Prefer the clean tones of my new Super Champ X2. My ears are probably spent from too many hours in front loud amps back in the day, but as I've said before, the volume on the THR clean tones isn't quite enough for me as a stand alone unit. Obviously others here are satisfied with the clean volume levels... I'm not.

The clean tones on my new SCX2 are enough... And very delicious too!

If I was an iPhone or iPad owner I'd probably like my THR more. I'm an Android user, so no cool mini interface for me...

I generally love Yamaha stuff, but the THR falls short FOR ME in the clean volume department. The THR will slay a Microcube, but for $350, you can get a SCX2... To my ears, the SCX2 sounds way better.

Ps. I just want Yamaha to FIX IT! Denying there's a problem or making excuses for the problem isn't fixing the problem...

Btw, how many people are actually using the Cubase recording software Yamaha bundled with the THR? :idea:

18. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2013
    Kansas
    FWIW, I got a chance to play a Mustang in a local store recently and I was really disappointed with the sounds. I hear some of the digital fuzziness in it that is present in my Digitech RP255. It's too bad because the Mustang has a lot of great features and certainly offers more options than a Yamaha THR5, which I tested a couple of weeks ago. I didn't notice the fuzziness in the Yamaha, but I did play an SCX2 and I was kind of hit and miss on how it sounds. It's a great package, but it is a much, much bigger package than the THR amps, so it really boils down to what one's objectives are. Would be nice to have both.

19. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2013
    Nashville
    I used to own a Mustang- got rid of it because it developed a problem, but when it worked correctly, the Twin model on it was the best clean digital emulation I've heard. I have the THR10 and it's fantastic. What is shocking about it is how loud recordings seem when mic'd w/ my SM58 at a RIDICULOUSLY absurd low volume level. It must have something to do with the speakers being basically the same size as the mic (I exaggerate). I'm no recording expert, but I've tried mic'ing a lot of different amps and the THR is the only one that often times ends up sounding BETTER on the recording than what I was hearing in the room.

If THR volume is too low on clean, you guys might want to consider the new Peavey Vypyr VIP. I have one of those as well. While the older Vypyr seemed aimed squarely at 12 yr old metalheads (but was still a good amp by all accounts), there are a lot more clean and crunch options in the VIP for those of us who like our gain in smaller doses. I haven't played my VIP enough yet to decide if I like it better than the THR, but at $130 I believe it is quite a bargain and should be considered by clean players as it has a very nice sounding twin, budda, butcher, and classic 30 on board.

20. teleamp

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    My THR10 is such a GAS dowser.... I've got the itch for a small combo amp and every time I check one out or listen to some decent clips I go back to my lil Yamaha and find a comparable tone at a useable volume. woe is me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.