Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of you have a 'birth year' guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    So I thought I'd take jayyj's advice and look for an entry level Gibson arch top to give me a birth year guitar that's sort of affordable. There are 3 1956 Gibson 225's (one is a 225T) on Reverb.com. One is not so far away that I could drive there to check it out. One is in Mt Pleasant, SC, where I'll be in the near future visiting my sister, so I could check it out in person as well. The last one is in New Jersey, and I'm not driving there. I emailed all 3 and only the NJ owner (or should I say "ad owner")replied. Not much of a description on his ad, and when I asked him about originality he said things like "the owner said it...", and when I asked about the the condition of the original case he said he's "checking", apparently with the owner. So he doesn't know anything about the guitar and is just running an ad for someone else. Forget it. As for the others, you would think they would check on their listing, or at least be set up to get alerts when they receive a message, but apparently not.

You gotta wonder sometimes.

StrangerNY likes this.

2. Grizz2k

Grizz2k TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2016
    US
    Not for myself but I have an Esquire (tele convert) made in the same time and place - Mexico 1995 - as my fiance.

StrangerNY likes this.

3. brown2bob

brown2bob TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    1959 wasn’t practical so I went with the year I started playing guitar... a ‘73 Tele Deluxe.

StrangerNY likes this.

4. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Since I'm a '54, I could never afford a Fender, Martin, or Gibson. Maybe a Harmony or Kay, or something similar, but even those are getting expensive now.

StrangerNY likes this.

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    No? No even if your birth year was 1959?
    1510563467793.jpg

StrangerNY likes this.

6. markjames

markjames TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2017
    UNITED KINGDOM
    I Nearly bought a lovely sunburst 61 Fender DuoSonic......But got pipped at the post in the shop....
    Still looking though.... I'd love a guitar from my birth year....

StrangerNY likes this.

7. denosaur

denosaur TDPRI Member

Nov 11, 2011
    It would have to be in better nick than me to justify buying it.1954 ( had guitars even been invented then ?)

StrangerNY likes this.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Easy , much cheaper to be looking for a 59 Tele than a Les Paul . LOL
    As said , I love old stuff , but I dont think for a minute that these guitars are better in any way , so I dont really want to pay lots more for old gear.
    I would still love old gear if it was worth nothing , LOL
    The value doesnt interest me , and I think the prices are insane.....

StrangerNY likes this.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

I started on a 74 Tele. I'd still have it but it got stolen. Fantastic guitar

StrangerNY likes this.

10. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    A 1960 Gibson or Fender would be a bit pricey for me. And I honestly don't feel seriously attracted to most of them

StrangerNY likes this.

11. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I can't afford a birth year guitar...

StrangerNY likes this.

12. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I've never thought about it before - a 79! Maybe not the best year but could be more affordable than some years?

StrangerNY likes this.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Same year for me and I've explored the idea. There is a hard tail Strat from that year that looked ok, but they are supposedly really heavy.

The Les Pauls aren't really that desirable for the money imo. They just aren't that attractive looking to me. If I found a great example in person I might be interested, but I'd be hesitant to buy online.

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I've got a 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe witch I love

[​IMG]

Zepfan, StrangerNY, 8barlouie and 2 others like this.

15. DAKnox

DAKnox Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2014
    Scotland
    I would actually like a hard tail Strat. I block mine anyway. But I don't think I'd take a heavy one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

16. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    Not a guitar but a silverface amp. Lots of cool gear for the '70s kids, but I think Fender amps from this era are actually good. I once found a strat from my birth year, a '70s sunburst that actually looked great, picked it up, and ,my desire to even plug and test went away as soon as my arm felt the weight of it. Ugh.

StrangerNY likes this.

17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    For the last couple of years I have been looking for a birth year, 51’, I’m not really interested in a guitar that I can play or even a quality guitar, I just want one that has an interesting look that I can hang on the wall in my music area. Oh ya, one more thing, I don’t wanna spend much. :D

StrangerNY likes this.

18. paulnoise

paulnoise Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2013
    UK
    1980 peavey t40 1510599745074.jpg

StrangerNY and 8barlouie like this.

19. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    I took jayyj's advice and bought a 1956 Gibson ES-125. What exactly has this accomplished? Nothing, but it's a very cool, old school classic that I will enjoy playing.

movwvzs3cdi4pyf4gfeu.jpg

bossaddict and StrangerNY like this.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    '61 Supro Dual-Tone.
    Most Gibsons and Fenders are right out of the question.
    I had a '61 Gretsch 6119, but it only had 3 sounds and 2 of them sucked.

StrangerNY likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.