Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of you have a 'birth year' guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a '52 Reissue, but that's as close as I'm going to get. I can't think of another guitar made in 1952 other then a Telecaster that I'd want.

SlappyDuck and StrangerNY like this.

2. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2005
    N. Cal.
    1953 Refin Blackguard — About a month older than me

7BC234A4-73F7-4C94-B45D-B33E5E0A3EBE.jpeg

brookdalebill, TRex13 and jayyj like this.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 1966 Telecaster. And a Rolex Datejust made in 1966 too. My first car was a 1966 Ford.

Too bad I was born in 1956...

I've always wanted a birth-year guitar, and a '56 Les Paul Junior would be just the ticket, since a Telecaster or Esquire from that year would be prohibitively expensive.

StrangerNY and felis like this.

4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Cool thread. Thought I was the only one keen on a birth year guitar.

I got keen on a 1970 Gretsch as a birth year guitar but everything I read says the quality isn't there. That the binding and plastics fail badly. Then got keen a Jag or Jazzmaster but eventually realised the cost versus the actual value probably wasn't viable.

Hope to eventually be in a position to buy a 70 or 70's tele of some sort.......one day (maybe).

StrangerNY likes this.

5. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    estados unidos
    '58 anything is getting pretty spendy

StrangerNY likes this.

6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Holic

Dec 3, 2011
    Mandurah. West Australia
    My birth year is 1938 and I'm sure the UK and USA were busy building tanks and airplanes in readiness for WW2 so guitars would be a pretty rare things. The oldest guitars I've owned was a 1956 Tele and a 1959 Gibson 330. Both long gone.. S

StrangerNY likes this.

7. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    '47; looks like I'll probably have to go acoustic.:cool:

StrangerNY likes this.

8. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    To be honest, this guitar showed up on Olivia's Vintage (who surely take the best photos in the guitar trade) for exactly the amount I'd just sold a vintage uke for and I took one look at the top figure, a second at the binding which has aged and cracked in a really spectacular manner, and thought, why not? If it's a poor guitar I'll just hang it on the wall in the music room and enjoy it as an ornament.

It turned out to be a brilliant guitar as well as a looker!

StrangerNY likes this.

9. TRex13

TRex13 TDPRI Member

Aug 19, 2016
    Perth, Australia
    Love this thread! I’ve only been playing for a year or two but have also started looking into birth year guitars...1971.

Like lots of post here, the Fenders and LPs are pricey and not always the best quality.

Just means it looks like it will be a hobby of mine over the next x number of years to find my birth year guitars

StrangerNY likes this.

10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Having been born in 1984, there aren't many guitars from that year that I'd actually like to own!

StrangerNY likes this.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Have a reissue. 55.

StrangerNY likes this.

12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    You should be able to get good quality MIJ Fenders from that era at reasonable prices.

tigger and StrangerNY like this.

13. Telegraphonic

Telegraphonic TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Memphis
    I'm '72. Same boat. Hooray... Lol

StrangerNY likes this.

14. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I built a tele the year my son was born and I have a strat from 87 I bought for 500 bucks in 09 (wore the original neck out, so that is a super fat USACG neck with stainless steel frets you see there)

20170909_135137.jpg

StrangerNY likes this.

15. ReaL Madras

ReaL Madras Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2012
    I was 50 two months ago and had set my heart on buying a guitar from 67, still not got it, albeit I did post a thread on here some time ago looking for inspiration....my idea was a model that was actually introduced that year.

StrangerNY likes this.

16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    If i had the extra money for a 60, I doubt if I'd spend it on a guitar anyway, BUT:
    I have built two 60 replica Teles and two Les Paul replicas.

StrangerNY likes this.

17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    That's a great idea! I had a 54 ES-175 refin (hardly anything original, actually) that I sold to a friend for dirt cheap many years ago. I think a birth year 125 night fill that void.

jayyj and StrangerNY like this.

18. bossaddict

bossaddict Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    Try an 0-17. Pretty affordable pre-war Martins. I just got a '34 recently.

StrangerNY likes this.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I can't imagine such a pursuit (1955), but my best friend has an acoustic guitar with the birth month and year of his girlfriend (yeah, she is about half his age:rolleyes:).:lol:

StrangerNY likes this.

20. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've got the old amps nailed down, but not so much the old guitars. Came close with a '68 Tele. A Gibson J-45 from '45 is something, but I want a '62 Tele, damnit!

A '62 Tele would be pretty pricey, but given all that I have, I would certainly consider trading up to one. It may still happen.

StrangerNY likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.