Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of you have a 'birth year' guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Nov 10, 2017.

1. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m 1963 and hope to one day have both a strat and tele from that year.

StrangerNY likes this.

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Oct 17, 2012
    Nelson City TX
    Aside from Gibson/Fender/Martin, I'm not sure that precise serial number records would be available or that
    records are reliable for other manufacturers, but I hope you can find something that's playable and pleasing to you.

I have an old Epiphone that may of may not be from my birth year (it may be a year older than I am).
    It's in much better shape than I'm in these days, but neither one of us is much to look at anymore.

Generic Schmoe and StrangerNY like this.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    I'm on the lookout for guitars for my daughters (86 & 88), at the moment I have a MIJ Fender Power Jazz Special Bass which is 86/7, and a Gordon Smith Explorer 09/03/88. I would like a bass which is confirmed 86, and a smaller 88 guitar.

StrangerNY likes this.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I know people from Europe have answers in this thread , but " birth year " stuff is probably mostly a US " thing "
    Susan T got the 70's Strat she plays from Derek because of that year ,- her birthyear
    I love old stuff , but my birth year wouldn't really matter-at all ....

StrangerNY likes this.

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Even if it was all beat up, whatever I'd end up getting would look a little better than me at this point. :lol:

- D

lineboat likes this.

6. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    1960 kinda sucks. Can't afford a Les Paul, and they did not make an SG. Don't think there were any LP Jrs that year, either(?). Probably couldn't afford one, anyway.

1960 Melody Maker might do it. I have 3 years to save if I'm to get a BY guitar for my 60th BD.

Any other reasonably-priced 1960 recommendations? Needs to be playable.

RodeoTex and StrangerNY like this.

7. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Gibson fans wanting an affordable birth year guitar from the 50s should check out the ES125 and L-50 archtops and LG1 flattops - all three are fun guitars that don't cost a fortune.

It's never been a big deal to me to have a birth year guitar but my Electra Maple Pro from 1977 fits the description. Most of my others are considerably older than me!

[​IMG]

Obsessed, TMMC and StrangerNY like this.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that's a really nice-looking top.

- D

9. bossaddict

bossaddict TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    I used to have a '77 Explorer, but sold it. I wish I hadn't.

StrangerNY and TMMC like this.

10. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Apr 3, 2013
    SLC
    AWESOME thread, and some beautiful people with equally beautiful guitars.

Here's me and mine, both minted in 1978:

rock.jpg

lineboat and StrangerNY like this.

11. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I'm close. I'm a 64 model and my MIJ ES330 clone is a unknown 60's model. Have to say both models have had some alterations.:lol:

Attached Files:

StrangerNY and TMMC like this.

12. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I reckon those days are gone for me, with a birth year of the early/mid 60s, the chances of me owning anything from that era unless it's some really nasty one from the lower end is virtually zero.

At one time I used to type my birth year into eBay every now and again to see what was there, but even the rough ones/projects/etc were out of reach.

I do own two guitars from the years of my first years of guitar playing though.

StrangerNY likes this.

13. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2011
    Fenton, MO
    They didn’t make guitars then.

StrangerNY likes this.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Just sold an '89 American Standard strat. Brown sunburst and rosewood. It was a very nice player.
    You'll be able to find an '89 easier than I'll run across a '68!

StrangerNY and Steve Holt like this.

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Closest I've gotten to '68 was a beat up 1971 Jaguar. Kept it for a bit but sold it when raising funds for my J-45.

StrangerNY likes this.

16. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I always thought I wanted one, and maybe one day I’ll find the right one, but so far most of the 1978 stuff I’ve came across has been poor quality or ridiculously priced. Maybe someday.....

StrangerNY and Steve Holt like this.

17. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    Since I won’t mortgage the house to buy a ‘60 Les Paul burst i bought an epiphone 1960 tribute plus and convinced myself it’s just as good and much cheaper!

StrangerNY likes this.

18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    985plowboy likes this.

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    My first "good" guitar was (is) a 1960 LP Jr....double cut, cherry red. And yes, I still have it. So yes, they were made in 1960.
    Unless I hit the lottery, I probably will never be able to afford any decent guitar from 1951....but, I do have some coins, mostly pennies, from my birth year.....

StrangerNY likes this.

20. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Born in the middle of the CBS/Norlin era.

Maybe a nice Guild...

So, the neck stamp on my CVC was 2 days before my son was born, so now that neck is going on his partsquire. :)

StrangerNY likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.