Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of you have a 'birth year' guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by StrangerNY, Nov 10, 2017.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

My guitar collection now includes guitars from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. I can't think of anything I'd really like to add (although that's always subject to change) besides a guitar from the 50s. And since I was born in 1953 (yup, old as dirt, I am), I really like the idea of finding a guitar built in my birth year.

To be realistic - a '53 Fender or Gibson will inevitably be pretty pricey, so I may have to lower my sights on what the possibilities would be. But looking at Reverb, I am seeing a lot of guitars that would be pretty cool to own.

So the question is - how many of you have guitars built in your birth year? Got pics?

- D

JustABluesGuy, TMMC and felis like this.

2. WingedWords

WingedWords TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2015
    Kent, UK
    Huh, even less chance for me. 1950.

JustABluesGuy and StrangerNY like this.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    I've thought about it. a 1989 MIA strat would be nice, but I have a hard time liking a lot of the colors that were available during that time frame.

TMMC and StrangerNY like this.

4. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2015
    Huntsville, TX
    I don't have one, but would like to pick one up one day. Given that I was born in '64 and anything Fender or Gibson from then would be stupid expensive, it will likely be an old Epiphone or Guild jazz box.

ladave and StrangerNY like this.

5. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Finding something that I would want that was built in 1956 would, likely, be so ridiculously outside of my budget that I've never really given it any serious thought.

I suppose I might be able to find something more affordable from that year (i.e., not Fender, Gibson, Martin, etc...), but it's never been a priority for me.

Now that I think about it, though, I have started shopping for a lap steel. I might actually be able to find something I could afford from my birth year.
    Still not a real priority, but something to think about.....

6. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I missed it by a month or so. I was born in December 1952, and my old Telecaster is a 1953.

7. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Bristol UK
    I don't own one, but I really wouldn't mind a mocha telecaster deluxe from 1976. And I guess it's feasible...

I started GASing for one after I saw someone play one at a Bob Weir studio concert a few years back... I think it was some Jerry Garcia anniversary tribute, but I cannot quite remember what exactly.

Yum!

[​IMG]

Robert H. and lineboat like this.

8. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I did.
    I gave it to a friend.
    Blonde 1957 Tele.
    It was stolen from the friend I gave it to, thirty years ago.
    One piece body, and feather light.
    Oh well, stuff is stuff, ya just get more.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

10. StrangerNY

A lap steel is a pretty good choice! You can get ones made in the 40s or 50s for only a few hundred bucks.

- D

11. StrangerNY

There are Gibsons out there that won't break the bank, but they're not all original, have repairs or refins. I actually think I'd be willing to let that stuff slide, as long as it wasn't a catastrophic neck break or something.

But on the other hand, there seem to be a few Gretsches and a lot of old Harmony guitars in really good shape for under a grand. I could live with one of those.

- D

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    A 52 guitar would break my budget. 'll settle for one that looks like a 52:twisted:

TMMC and StrangerNY like this.

13. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    My story about a birth year (1966) Tele, for which I drove 3 times back and forth to Köln with cash at hand, returning without it every time.o_O
    I just couldn't get myself taking it home with me, despite the fact that I had my mind set on owning a birth year guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do have great respect for Fender and their original design, but I'm not going to buy a guitar that cost 8 times more and is not at least as good or better to me and I emphasize 'to me' than my 1980 TE80 Breezy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I made a compromise and settled for a 'Epiphone inspired by "1966" Century' (while still having the Breezy as my number one). ;)

[​IMG]

14. StrangerNY

You have an enormous amount of restraint to turn down bringing that Tele home - although I was recently in a similar situation. I quit smoking back in February, and my wife gave me the green light to buy (in her words) an 'awesome' guitar, with a budget of $3000.

I went looking and found quite a few really nice guitars, but at the end of the day I just couldn't spend that much money for self-reward. So I kept looking and found an '82 Gibson Les Paul for less than half my budget. I'm still happy with the purchase and not feeling guilty about it!

[​IMG]

That Breezy looks like a very cool guitar. And the Century is a looker! Congrats.

- D

15. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2017
    Burlington, Vermont
    I have a birth year amplifier. 1966 Fender Super Reverb.

JustABluesGuy, TMMC and StrangerNY like this.

16. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Jun 9, 2008
    Santa Barbara
    I tried (1955) but got a dud. Anything of value this year is kinda pricey. I have spent $5,600 on a Goodall but that won't get me the creme of my year.

The cars were better designs this year than the guitars.

No biggie. its just a cool number. I can dig it.

StrangerNY likes this.

17. felis

felis Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2011
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Thank you, sir. ;)

In the end and all things considered, (for me) it has to be a player, which the Breezy definitely is.

songtalk and StrangerNY like this.

18. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    I was born in 75...closest I have is a 1966 Gibson SG Jr that I got in a trade.

I want a 75 tele, but they're pricey and from what I understand, not the best of quality.

Telegraphonic and StrangerNY like this.

19. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    59 Lefties were kinda hard to come by.

JustABluesGuy and StrangerNY like this.

20. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Maybe- an early 50s Fender Champion lap steel (which was a lot more affordable than, say, a Tele or a Gibson of the same vintage). I'm going to assume it's a '53.

D.H.

StrangerNY likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.