Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of you are Hypochondriacs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 11, 2017.

1. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I call my doctor Dr Death (not to his face,of course). It started ten, fifteen years ago when I went in for the annual physical that my employer provided insurance suggested for a person my age. Sure enough, Dr Death told me I had borderline hypertension and wrote me a 90 day prescription for it. After a year of having to go back every three months to have the prescription renewed I negotiated a 180 day prescription. Now I see him every six months.
    Now every time I go in to see him I'm "borderline" something else. "I'm going to prescribe this medication...., I'm going to schedule this test, and that test...Your cholesterol is borderline high...you have a borderline blockage in yor carotid artery...You have a slight calcification in your arteries...You're bordering on COPD...borderline hypoglycemic...etc...etc." There's always a new pill I should take, or a test he recommends.
    I'm skeptical enough to wonder if I actually need the test or is it just something my insurance will pay for without question.
    For me, it's all about expectations. I'm 67 years old. So far I've enjoyed what life offered without regrets. I figure that when my time is up it'll be one of those "borderline" maladies that up and crossed the border.

Tele1966, Toto'sDad and brookdalebill like this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Great minds think alike!

3. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You know to tell you the truth, my hypochondria is kind of in remission right now and has been for a while. In fact, I never had the debilitating kind that some people can have, I mostly had passing fancy diseases, stricken today, gone tomorrow. I can well believe you haven't had a cold in 30 years because since I had several flue shots in a short period of time through poor management of my inoculation records, I have not had a cold in over four years!

I used to have a hunting buddy when I ran hounds that took all the fun out of being a hypochondriac, because every time I as stricken with something terrible he would come up with something to top it! One night we went hunting and on the way to the tree (bare in mind walking continually in mountain terrain in the dark) I wanted to tell him about my heart condition that I was sure I had. He rudely interrupted to point out to me that he had a terrible headache and that he was certain he had a brain tumor that was ready to explode and would probably not live out the night!

We both survived the night and that was approximately 41 years ago, and are still going more than strong! Man, hypochondria takes a LONG time to kill a man! A SLOW death for sure.

Tele1966 and Milspec like this.

4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    In another post I alluded to my time that I had a "heart condition." I had heart palpitations or some such thing going on and my doctor gave me some pills for palpitations. He must have been a very good doctor because sure enough when I would take the pills I would have heart palpitations! After coming to the conclusion that if I could walk five miles (or more) up and down the mountains in the dark at a pretty good clip hunting with my hounds I must not have had anything terribly wrong with me. When I went to take one of those pills one day, I decided I wouldn't and poured them in the toilet and flushed it. I was done with heart pill induced palpitations, the funny thing is, I also drank copious amounts of tea at the time, decided to not drink the tea, and within a month I WAS CURED OF HEART PALIPITATIONS! Hmm, maybe I should be a doctor.

Since I CAN learn if need be, I decided most of the health issues I found myself suffering from at some point in life usually passed of their own accord, I deduced that my real malady was hypochondria! So, now when I feel like I'm getting something, I just give it a month, to see if it will go away and it usually does. We just returned from our daily walk, the whole bunch momma, Toto, and Bella, and me, and all of us are OLD, but still going strong. Maybe hypochondria is conducive to long life! :lol::lol::lol:

jackinjax likes this.

5. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I'm of your way of thinking, TD, but the trouble with hypochondria is that doctors these days are only too willing to treat your perceived maladies, possibly to your detriment.
    I'm currently taking a blood pressure med that, when I'm outdoors and get heated, it makes me woozy, like when I had low blood pressure and "stood up too fast". Dr D just put me on another med that helps me....uh....how should I say....pee(?). Trouble is, one of its side effects is bouts of dizziness. The two pills together act to make me almost pass out every time I bend or squat down to tie my shoes, etc., and ALL my energy just seems to flow out the bottom of my shoes.
    I called his office and explained what was happening. They made an appointment for three weeks from now. In the meantime, keep taking both meds and be careful. WHAT! :eek:

Toto'sDad likes this.

6. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I've been accused of hypochondria many times. But it turns out that I'm actually just sick all the time.
    Like with doctors and hospitals, operations, hairy meds and catscans, and actually feeling like **** .

Unfortunately I have also been subject to the kind of mental games Toto describes, but not to that extent. I just know not to get wrapped up in it, because I have , and have always had, actual problems.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Toto'sDad and Tele1966 like this.

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

TD, I admire your analysis and I wish I could walk that far.
    BTW, that spot on your forehead is looking much better this week.

Toto'sDad likes this.

8. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2003
    Canada
    My doctor said I was hypochondriac and has put me on broad spectrum placebos.

Seriously, I do find I am very susceptible to any list of symptoms. I used to go out with a woman that worked in a health clinic. I'd drop by to pick her up after work. I'd wait for her and read the posters on the wall. It would go like this:
    Do you have these symptoms?:
    1 Tightening feeling in the chest.:
    (Me: Now that you mention it... yeah, I do kind of have that)
    2. feeling of exhaustion?
    (Me: I didn't notice until now, that's a yes.)
    3. A sudden feeling of confusion?
    (Me: What do you mean by confusion? Oh no, that's a yes.)
    4. A pain in your left knee?
    (Me: Yeah, it just started but it's definitely there and getting worse.)

I'd walk out convinced I'm diabetic, having a stroke, heart attack, liver disease, kidney problems plus whatever disease that was on the posters they had in the waiting area (they changed them every few days). I'd make plans to go to emergency or make a doctor appointment and talk about it but the symptoms mysteriously went away in about an hour.

9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Thank you, I thought at first my wife had drawn a rather crude rendition of Australia on my forehead while I was napping, then I realized it was something MORE serious!

10. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    When my son died, overnight I developed high blood pressure. The doc gave me some stuff for it, but it made my ankles swell up and robbed me of energy. I thought hmm, since everything is guess work (that's whey they call it practicing medicine) maybe I'll try something here. I finally settled on taking a half tablet four days a week, and a full table 3 days a week. Both are considered low doses at any rate. Now my energy is back, the blood pressure is about the same as when I took the full dose, and the swelling in my ankles is gone! In the next week or two, I'm going to experiment with just taking the half dose every day, if my blood pressure stays the same, I'm gonna do that for a while. If I have good results, I might try weaning down to taking the stuff two or three times a week.

I'm not recommending playing your own doctor, I'm just saying that's what I did and the results for me were very good. I think the peeing and the blood pressure pills are somehow related, if they can make your ankles swell up, then?

jackinjax likes this.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    There's an ailment for every saleable cure.

Toto'sDad likes this.

12. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I look at it this way, who knows your body better than you? Certainly isn't the doctor who sees you for 3 minutes and writes a prescription.

Nothing wrong with being your own doctor, they might have 12 years of medical schooling, but you have your life of knowing yourself.

Doctors are amazing if you have a sucking chest wound or in an accident, but they are lousy at guessing when they try to diagnose a problem.

Did you know that doctors are taught to evaluate a patient in less than 3 minutes to determine if they are really ill or just psychosomatic? If real, they schedule tests, otherwise they tell you to rest, drink plenty of fluids, and maybe write some low level prescription......not much different than my devil's food cake and OJ prescription along with going to bed early now is it?

Tele1966 likes this.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I married into a whole extended family of hypochondriacs. Totally bizarre to me. And yes, they get sick a lot just like what George Carlin says. My only true precaution is when I go see the doctor to renew my high blood pressure medicine. Nothing is more dangerous as diving into a petri dish for a stupid piece of paper with some la dee da signature.:mad:

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If you have a family doctor, they've seen you over the years, have your history etc...

They say a man who is his own attorney has a nut for a client and I'm inclined to say the same for those who doctor themselves.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    That's what never made sense to me about therapy. I know I'm a mess, I don't need to go broke paying someone else to reaffirm that.

brookdalebill likes this.

16. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I agree on the attorney part as it is an arena that most know nothing about, but we know us. Even with a long-time family physician, you are not the only customer and there is a reason they need to pull your history when you see them, where as you always know your own history.

Having worked in a hospital, there is another little secret that might interest you. After the doctor evaluates you for that 3 minutes, they walk out for awhile. What they do then is look at your history and go onto their own version of WebMD to diagnose your issue. Ever get those print-outs that give you information on your condition? That is where they get them. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same thing with similar results.

I remember encountering pain on the inner side of my knee a few weeks prior to a big race. I went to see my doctor, but he was in surgery so they sent in a replacement who told me that he was an avid runner as well.

He manipulated my knee, left, and returned with a print out and a diagnosis as ITB inflammation. Then gave me a script for some anti-inflammatory meds. The problem is that the ITB runs from the hip down across the outside of the knee and not the inside. I told the doctor that and he admitted to being wrong.....still billed me $175 for the visit.

Don't get me wrong, doctors serve a very important role and I would not say otherwise, but they are not infallible nor are they always necessary for your well-being. We should all take a greater role in our health rather than just accepting what a doctor tells us or believing that they must know better. We have to live with ourselves, they move on to another customer 5 minutes later.

Sorry for the rant...must be a little riled up today.

Toto'sDad and Tele1966 like this.

17. Wayne Museum

Wayne Museum TDPRI Member

May 7, 2017
    SC
    My wife recently told me that "the only thing you won't diagnose yourself with is hypochondria!"

P Thought, Milspec, Obsessed and 2 others like this.

18. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I'm sorry Im not that far into gardening!
    I'm sorry thats Hydroponics.........Never mind!

Obsessed and Toto'sDad like this.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I find myself agreeing with much of what you write, but I want to be careful about recommending Dr Google in the hypochondriac's thread!

The #1 thing I agree with is that patients should be partners with their doctors and take as great a role as they can!

Toto'sDad likes this.

20. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You know I think it's our life's experiences that forms our opinions. When I was 19 years old, I broke my knee on a dirt bike. I knew something was up because my knee hurt more than anything I'd ever felt. Someone took me to the hospital, where they x-rayed my knee, actually both of them because they were both swelled quite a lot. Anyway, the doc looks at my x-rays says no problem stay off of it a few days you'll be fine. I see the x-ray tech over in the corner frantically waving at the doc, who finally notices and they go into a huddle doc comes back and says this is bad, your knee joint is broken clear through. You'll need to be admitted and operated on tonight. THEN, when they found out I didn't have insurance they said, get on out of here we only allow PAYING customers around dis place.

Okay, I can't walk, out of the goodness of his heart, an orderly or the x-ray tech rounded me up some crutches and said you'll need to bring these back TOMORROW! Another doctor who happened to overhear all this comes over gives me his card, and says get someone to bring you to my office in the morning I'll do what I can for you.

That night I passed out from the pain about 2:00 am. Next morning I felt a little better but my leg was swollen as badly as I've ever seen a leg get. They put seven casts on me during an eight week period, kept the knee immobilized and it healed up pretty good. Won't quite straighten but overall it did pretty well considering. Point of all this I owe my injury being recognized to an alert tech, I owe my leg being healed to a doc that had nothing to do with me being there. I'm not sure putting ALL your trust in a doc is the answer. I have about as good a doctor now as there is in town. He teaches at the best hospital in town, and maintains a practice for his long term patients. I'm thankful I am one of them.

I would imagine the laws are different now, and I would not have been turned away without being treated. This happened in 1964, and things were much different then. I'm sure glad the doc who did take care of me took an interest in my case otherwise I'm not sure I would still have a leg, or at least I might just have part of one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.