Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of us amp geeks.....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigben55, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Yep... 60's Mullard ECC83/12ax7 and 50's RCA 6V6s.

An itch I've scratched now. Unlikely to scratch it again.

2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I'm lucky in that I can walk across the street, raid my father-in-law's tube stash, and pay whatever he charges me, which is usually nothing but I'm happy to give him the 5 or 10 bucks if he asks. NOS RCA, Sylvania, GE from various years. He has a lot of old TV tubes too, from 50 years as a electronics guy. I did just get his last 6AF11 for my Zeppelin Percolator, he was surprised at the re-purposing of the tube for an amp.

He does think tube rolling for tone is odd though :D

bparnell57 likes this.

3. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    Actually in the long run, I find NOS less expensive. You only buy them once or twice for any given amp in your lifetime in my experience. They literally last for thousands of hours.

The RCAs in my 43 year old Twin Reverb are still good and I know they're original. The 12ax7 and 12ay7 in my '54 Deluxe, RCAs, I'm not sure but likely are. The previous owner had Groove Tube power and rectifier tubes in it. I tossed them, bought a pair of GE 6v6 power tubes and a Sylvania 5y3. I'd estimate I've run it a couple thousand hours since I've had it. I gig it all the time without worry.

Two things...in my old amps, my TR, the '54 Deluxe and my '55 Supro Supreme, I think they ought to be in there. I don't care about my newer stuff but...the second thing is, durability. NOS lasts longer than I will.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    My general tube usage is: NOS preamp tubes, new production power and recto tubes in fixed bias amps and I try to find deals on NOS power and recto tubes in cathode biased amps where I can plug and play. I prefer my tech to bias fixed biased amps; have no problem dropping $50 every 18 months for that.

Why new production power tubes? I like to but matched quads so I have proper spares. Matched quads of say RCA 6l6 or 6v6s are just too damn much money. I have 6-7 good NOS preamp tubes not being currently used for swapping. And they do last darn near forever.

5. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Sep 30, 2011
    Dutchess County NY
    NEVER! I've been lucky and have gotten most of mine through bargain deals or as pulls from old amps of mine. I've got so many great vintage 12AX7/ECC83 tubes now it's ridiculous. The compulsion to buy them was strong for a few years and I did just that whenever I found a deal on them. It's gotten to the point where I've got more than I will ever need so I've stopped.......for now. :rolleyes:

I think I'm cured. A week or so ago I stumbled onto a sale of 5 ANOS Sylvania's for $35 and walked away from it and let someone else grab them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

zippofan likes this.

6. Armo

Armo Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2008
    Wales
    Like the Riffraff, I don't buy tubes when I need them (and my backs against the wall), I buy them when I see a good deal. Last month I bought an RFT 12AX7 for £5 and two JAN Phillips (Sylvannia) EL84's for £9 a piece, that's including postage. You can find them if your patient. Also like Riffraff I've got enough to see me out so I'm stopping too although my collection is nowhere as large as his. It's hard to resist when you see a bargain however, need them or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.