Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many of us amp geeks.....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigben55, Jul 29, 2017.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    .....will actually pay $200 for our TWO favorite preamp tubes?!?!

I haven't don't this....yet. But the fact that I'm even considering it concerns me, from a mental health standpoint.

2. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I paid nearly 200 for two power tubes.Sylvania 6L6 STR's. Even that doesn't seem quite sane now. ( actually glad I have them )

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Never gonna happen.

5. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Never say never! How many of you have ever spent $120.00 for a cd? A rare cd that you NEED for your collection?? I fear my mental health is in serious decline.....oh my.....?

RJ

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    What REALLY ticks me off is, the one tube that's $140 Is a 1960s RCA 7025. I HAD 2, but one went with an amp I sold 1.5 yrs ago. I had no idea that tube alone was worth $140! That amp, a Richter 5E3, I had all RCA tubes and DID charge the guy more for it since I figured there was $250 worth of tubes in it. More like $350 now that I know!!

(headslap).....

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have one of those 7025s in V2 of my BFSR. Best preamp tube ever. I'd like another for my BF Pro Reverb, and a JAN GE 5751(in V6 of the BFSR). That one is like $40-50.

I currently have a GE 12AX7A/7025 in V2 of the Pro(a $70 tube). I just doubt the "tonal improvement" justifying the $$$.

Fiesta Red and uriah1 like this.

8. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Not yet, but probably soon will.

9. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    I have quite a few of those, and they do sound better, make less noise, and last a long time.
    But I didn't pay $70 a piece.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017

10. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2017
    USA
    Not $200.00, actually I go to a lot of flea markets and once I must of hit it the
    right time and found in a mix box of tubes four 12AX7 Telefunken German's
    at $5.00 each, I did grab them up.

11. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2014
    atlanta
    Me too neither.

The troubles with NOS are:
    • You have to be a Bill Gates or Donald Trump to afford them.
    • They don't all sound like heaven, you could be spending $200 for crappy tone.
    • Most of us can't hear a difference anyway.
    • If you are using a late model amp most likely they are designed with modern tubes in mind.
    • Sooner or later, probably sooner, there will be no more NOS tubes. Then whaddya gonna do?

Staypuft1652 likes this.

12. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ
    nope
    never

as soon as you're with the band, ALL nuance of EVERY tweak will be lost...

Fiesta Red likes this.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    So far, most replies are No. So.....whats the monetary "cut off?" I mean what, $15-20 Is what a JJ, EH, Sovtek etc go for. Would you pay $40 for a NOS? 60, 80??? Where is the line of worth it vs not worth it(to us mere mortals)?

14. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    A few years ago I pulled dozens of 60's RCA and Sylvania pre tubes out of an old organ. I used a few in my amps, and gave loads of them away. I had no idea they could be worth that much. Oh well. Folks are enjoying them!

15. Jakedog

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I'm plenty happy with GT and JJ. No need for special stuff here unless I stumble on it cheap or free. All my tone is in my underpants anyhow.

Doctorx33 likes this.

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    I'm a cheap S.O.B.

I buy ugly, mismatched, weird lots of old tubes and usually come out on top. I don't even like paying JJ, GT and EHX new prices for tubes... That's probably my mental illness coming out! I like to feel I've ferreted out a deal. LOL

Heck, I recently scored four GE 12ay7 tubes for 45 bucks shipped. That's about where my (self imposed) budget allows these days.

Nickfl, Staypuft1652 and czech-one-2 like this.

17. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

In the early '90s I was completely amplifier ignorant, had a '83 or so Deluxe Reverb II and had the "tech" at the guitar shop I worked PT at look it over to make sure it was gigging worthy. He OK'd it but told me to replace the stock tubes (RCA marked Fender) with these newfangled Groove Tubes. I did it, sold the amp years later. About a year ago I was looking thru a box of that crap that follows you around throughout your life and there in the foam lined Groove Tube containers were every original tube from that Deluxe II. Haven't used them yet but there were no issues with them when that "tech" had me pull them.
    Sometimes, not often, I step in a sweet smelling turd.

Staypuft1652 and Axis29 like this.

18. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I get the cheap new production stuff, unless I can score cheap NOS like $12 military grade 12AT7's.

I see no point in dropping that much money on tubes. There's a law of diminishing returns. A $200 tube wont sound 10x as good as a $20 tube, heck, it probably wont even sound twice as good, and it could potentially die within 8 hours of being installed in an amp.

I think money is better spent by getting a bunch of cheaper tubes and tube rolling. Even the fancy NOS stuff doesn't always sound better. (unless you account for placebo)

codamedia likes this.

19. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just ordered 2 "Fender Special Design" but USA made GE 12AX7A/7025's for $20. I have one of these, and they're NICE tubes.

JD, I agree. $200 tubes don't sound 10x better than $20 tubes. But IMO they usually sound better. There's got to be a "tone vs price" bell curve out there somewhere, kinda like the "Hot-crazy Matrix" which if you haven't seen, go straight to YouTube right now.

20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    The difference in sound is minimal, even with the best ears and the most discerning of recording processes.

Within the recording process, there will be further tweaking/eq-ing/processing, in order to make the guitar track blend in with the rest of the instruments.

Played in a live setting, with other instruments and competing sounds and frequencies, the difference will end up being even less noticeable.

I'm not saying to buy or use crappy tubes; I'm just saying the cost difference between a good-to-great modern tube and a decent NOS tube doesn't translate into a major improvement in tone.

There are two places where the overpriced NOS tube matters: in the head of the buyer and in the wallet of the seller.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.