Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many make it a habit to use amp covers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Oct 4, 2017.

1. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    I never have. Mostly my guitars live outside their cases too :eek:

2. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2014
    Piute County, Utah
    I went to Walmart and picked up a towel the same color as the amp and I lay it over the top when not in use. Works for me.

Geo likes this.

3. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Earlville IL
    I have covers for my amp and speaker cab. I live in a rural area that can get pretty dusty. I use the covers when I go out, but at home, laziness has set in and I drape an old sheet over them.

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you move your amps around, in and out of cars and venues, a PADDED/Kevlar cloth high grade cover like StudioSlips, Tuki, D2F among others (all of those are great), will prevent almost as much damage as a hard shell case will, is cheaper, lighter and easier to move. These types of covers are not just a thin layer of cloth, the padding and kevlar outer cloth prevent a lot of damage. I've got them for all my amps, at least the ones that I move around. I've never regretted it.

Minimalist518 likes this.

5. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

May 26, 2012
    USA
    My amp covers are always on when the amp is not in use.
    My guitars are always in their cases when not in use.

6. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    Almost always. I have some great heavyweight vinyl covers that were custom made by a local bass player. She seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, so I can't get any more.

7. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Tukui are the best. I spent a lot on my amp and I have 2 cats that would love to shred the speaker cover.

8. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have and use for most my amps for dust, transport and mainly cat proofing.
    Ones with no cover get a heavy towel or light throw rug draped over.
    For 3 amps there was no cataloged cover or in one case expensive overkill so I found other available model ones that fit sufficiently.

9. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Holic

All my tubes amps have covers. My solid state amps not so much...

10. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

yep- either covers or road cases

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    After reading all the comments in this thread, I just purchased a cover for my AC10C1 on eBay about five minutes ago. It has the cute little Vox logo and everything.

12. telepraise

telepraise TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    I'm with Crossroader. My DRRI came with the new fender cover and I always use it when transporting to avoid scrapes, scratches to my bordeaux tolex and wheat grill. Also when in my shop so I don't accidentally spill or splatter stuff on it. It's also waterproof enough for a short jaunt to the car in light rain.

13. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    2 cats = covers on ALL home amps. I do like protecting grill cloth!

14. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    The cover helps hide what kind of amp it is in a vehicle or loading in/out

15. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    That's why I have a Roland cover for my Fender. LOL
    I use them when it rains.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Yes I use them, I have the ability and materials to make my own, but if I didn't I would buy them.
    If nothing else amp / cabinet covers help keep the amp or speaker cabinet clean. And we have cats who think my amps are scratching posts, so it prevents that damage.
    If you are going to be regularly gigging no doubt a roadcase is better but an amp cover is better than nothing!
    And they don't have to just be black vinyl ...

camo Deluxe Rever amp cover 1.JPG

King Fan likes this.

17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN

18. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2010
    Alabama
    I use the cover that came with my HRD whenever I take it out of the house. Otherwise she sits there uncovered, plugged in and ready to rock!

19. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    Got me fooled. If I saw that on the sidewalk I'd assume it was a tackle box, and I don;t even fish.

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I use them. If you have a lady friend (or similar) in your life who is handy with sewing, you can suggest some custom covers as a gift. My old lady makes me reversible ones out of padded fabric. She picks one fabric that is acceptable for her taste/decor when my amps are in her living room, I get to pick the reverse side with flames or checkerboards or whatever I think will look cool on the stage.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.