Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many make it a habit to use amp covers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Oct 4, 2017.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    ^^^
    And your mind went there! Maybe your username should be "Dirty Old Tele Man." :twisted: Just razzin' ya, bro. ;)

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Must be my years in USN (world's largest canoe club) slip'in thru.

LGOberean likes this.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've never bought an amp that came with a cover, nor have I sprung for one after getting the amp. However, lately I've been thinking about it. In addition to dust, we have two indoor cats, so cat hair can be an issue. Plus the cats have at times used my amps or guitar cases as scratching posts. How I deal with the cats is a work in process (water bottle to squirt them, nerf gun), and beside the point. But like I said, I'm thinking about covers.

Another factor is the tolex. Not all tolex is created equal. My old Peavey amps had tolex that could hurt you, not the other way around. Conversely, the tolex on the Fishman Loudbox Mini I bought a year or so ago shows every scuff and scratch. (That in my view is the only downside to the amp.) So, yeah, maybe I should be considering amp covers...

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    Interesting thread. I have covers for all my amps, but have yet to use one. I don't know why, because it's the kind of thing I would do, but don't, if that makes sense.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That is so weird. I've also had one amp cover walk away at a gig. Why? Of all the things?

Anyway, any amp that live at a rehearsal space or gets taken to shows has a cover. They get knocked around plenty in use. No sense picking up extra dings or water damage that could easily be avoided.

I only play in and around town, and lack roadies, so no need for road cases for me.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

6. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    If you keep them all out in a music room, ready to play, I can see not using covers. I usually just keep one amp out at a time, with the rest stored in various places out of the way, covered.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

One of the best things about the slip cover for Fender amps... it keeps the tremolo and power cord cables from falling out of the back when you carry them around.

I'll have to get another one. I dunno, I think some weirdos will simply steal anything that isnt nailed down.

MilwMark likes this.

8. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I have 4 cats. Covers for every amp that gets left in a room the cats can get into.

9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Holic

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    +1 on both of these. I use covers because I live and occasionally gig in upstate New York where it rains and snows throughout a good chunk of the year.
    We have four cats; I don’t need the grill cloth and/or tweed shredded and I don’t need tumbleweeds of kitty fur inside!

uriah1 likes this.

10. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I've never used a cover in my life. PITA because they're always rotating here in the studio and it takes too much time to wait for one to cool down before I'd put a cover on it. Then I'd take the other one off, it would be on the floor, and that would just be a bigger mess to deal with since there are mic cables, pedals and stuff all over the place already!

My Ampeg B-15 came with the original cover and that stayed on for a long time while it was in storage but anything that's in the room is going to be uncovered.

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like Studio Slips amp covers, I have their padded slip cover for a Princeton Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb.

http://www.studioslips.com/

12. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2013
    Long Island
    I have cats, so I use covers.

Minimalist518 likes this.

13. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    Don't laugh too loud, but I make these cardboard cases for my gigging amps and they work great! They are double thickness on all sides, fit tight, super lightweight, and really protect the tolex, controls and grills. You can see here my covers for a 66 Bandmaster, a 70 Vibrolux, and a 69 Princeton. The VR cover is over 10 years old and still doing the job.
    I've wondered how to go into business with these things LOL. Any takers? Go ahead... steal my idea! CASES.JPG

don71, Vespa_One, teletimetx and 6 others like this.

14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Jan 13, 2010
    North east coast
    I'll add that I don't cover my amps at home because I like to look at them. I don't have cats and dust isn't a problem. My girlfriend called my vintage amps "those dirty old things". She wanted them out of the living room...

15. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    That's what my wife says about me.

teletimetx and Old Tele man like this.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

A cover is a good investment.
    Tuki or Custom Amp Covers (same folks) are very good value and well made.

17. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Mojotone makes original style covers for several vintage amps, in either 50s brown or 60s black for Fender for example.

I always cover mine. Keeps the grill cloth cat free, and protects the cabinet from scuffs when moving or stacking them.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I used to ALWAYS have covers for combos, heads, and speaker cabs. I was blessed that my mom could sew ANYTHING....I would cut heavy duty vinyl to size, including cutouts for handle, and she would sew it up for me....I even used material from an old Jeep convertible top once. Unfortunately, she's no longer able to do this.

I'll share an example of teenage stupidity with you. In high school I had a beautiful blackface Super Reverb. To tame the volume at smaller venues, I would take the cover off, invert it like a sack, and drop the amp into that sack....it muffled the loudness, but I could still use the controls. It worked OK (?) until the gig where the sound started cutting out. I turned around (while playing) to look at my amp.....it was literally on fire!!!!! I dashed back, and blew out the flames coming from one speaker. The audience gathered at edge of stage, not sure if that was part of the show. We took a break.....luckily our sound guy had his tweed Bassman with him in his car. We finished the gig, and I NEVER pulled a stupid stunt like that again.

3-Chord-Genius and Minimalist518 like this.

19. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    I'd like to point out that cats seem to be more of an issue here than whether or not one uses amp covers...:D just kidding, sort of.

I've had covers on and off over the years (see what I did there?) for various amps. Most of my amps and speakers these days I don't have them; I looked at LeCover but then ended up using the money for something else. More dusting that way, but no big deal. I do try to keep the control panels as clean as I can.

20. BadMojo

BadMojo Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2017
    Maryland
    I have 3 cats that love to sit on my amps. Amp covers are a must.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.