Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many make it a habit to use amp covers?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Oct 4, 2017.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    I never have, but have been thinking about picking one up for my Super Reverb.

On that note, is there a source for some better quality ones than the light-gauge stuff Fender is selling?

Scott

2. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I throw a bandana over the top where the controls are to prevent dust.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I like covers...they keep the dust off here in this part of the world. The light covers such as Fender covers suffice for my purposes.
    Tuki builds great covers with some padding....no affiliation.
    http://www.tukicovers.com/

Teleguy61 likes this.

4. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I use old pillowcases, just drape them over the top.

Obviously that won't work well if you are talking about out of the house.

5. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk TDPRI Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Lebanon, NH
    It's very good idea. In fact, I need to invest in one for my Roland Blues Cube Artist. There are some companies that advertise on eBay and Reverb.com that make amp covers for nearly all models.

If you gig at all, having some sort of protection for the amp is important. I don't know how many times I've been driving to/from a gig and and have heard some piece of gear fall over in the back of my car. :eek:

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I had a pretty dusty practice space in an old building for a while. I used to keep a HRD there and I kept it under a cover. That's the only time I ever used one.

7. ExiledonMainSt

ExiledonMainSt Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've always used Tuki covers; they are a must if you play an old amp out regularly and don't have a crew to move road cases. The Fender ones are useless for everything except dust.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Minimalist518 likes this.

8. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    I cover the control plate .
    I believe that there would be a market for inexpensive covers .

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    An amp cover is not much protection against anything except dust or water. If one is concerned about physical damage, get a road case.

E5RSY likes this.

10. intrentnet7

intrentnet7 TDPRI Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Salt Lake City
    I use covers on most of my amps but that's cause I have a few and some may sit for a while before I work my way back to them. I use the cheap fender dust cover for my own Super Reverb. There's designed 2 fit (D2F) covers, tuki padded covers and custom amplifier covers (amplifiercovers.com) to name a few. I'm sure they all make good product but personally I think they're all a bit overpriced for a simple slip cover so I just stick with the cheapies.

frank4001 and bblumentritt like this.

11. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    I use covers from these guys in Scotland.

https://www.hotcovers.co.uk/

They fit, they're strong and padded and look OK. I think they make the official covers for Blackstar amps.

Going to get them to make one for my Selmer T&B head. They have a bunch of templates on their site you can fill in for custom stuff.

12. beninma

beninma Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Not much dust in my practice area, I have the cover for my Orange but haven't been using it because it requires unplugging all the cables. I don't need anything else to deal with if I'm going to try and squeeze some practice in.

13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    slider313 and haggardfan1 like this.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    My only concern is the Fender website lists them as covers for the '65 Reissue and that they "May not fit vintage amplifiers". I took some measurements, and it does look like it will fit my old silverface. They're only $16 at Sweetwater, so what the heck...may as well give it a shot.

Wally and telemnemonics like this.

15. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Only when it's raining or snowing.

nojazzhere and Minimalist518 like this.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The older amps get covered to keep the cats from shredding the grill cloth. I don't worry about the newer, run of the mill stuff.

17. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I do.

I have 3 from "Custom Amp Covers" (no affiliation, but a very happy customer):
    http://www.amplifiercovers.com/

I know they don't do what a road case does, but they do prevent scrapes and scratches that would likely happen every single time I loaded my amps in and out of my car.
    And they work really well for that.

So, I use them every time any of my amps leaves the house.

MilwMark, picknfool and bblumentritt like this.

18. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    I do the same thing! My cat may use it as vertical scratching post :eek:

Minimalist518 likes this.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I have covers for most of my amps & cabs, but for the gear that is out where the cats can get to them I use packing blankets to keep them from getting shredded.

telemnemonics likes this.

20. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I use to not GAF, turns out, dust can bite your azz over time. Now I keep amp covers or towels over whatever I'm not currently playing through. And in fact, kinda get to the point of picky about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.