Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many hours...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3fngrs, May 10, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Nice work! very creative!

P Thought likes this.

2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    Standard 9-5 M-F, salaried, although I work overtime when the job requires. I'm the senior software developer for my company, with the emphasis on senior. I'd like to go on working at least until 70, but who knows.

3. rave

rave Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I work about 9 to 10 hours a day and commute 2 hours total. I am 55 and the freeway is getting old. I do work in a very nice office with nice people so no complaints there but fairly high pressure finance type stuff. Grateful to be employed

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    40 hours one week, 44 the next. Warehouse / stores / receipt & dispatch. Manual work but still need to think.

5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I’m retired, prior to retirement I worked full time 40-50 hrs a week and a second job teaching motorcycling one night and Saturdays (12 hr days) each week

In retirement I take care of my wife who has MS and help raise my two grandkids.

Before retirement I could schedule myself my vacations and take a couple weeks off and go places, in retirement I can’t seem to find a way to get a couple weeks off. I need a vacation from retirement. :D

6. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I haven't turned a tap in 9 months. Two more chemo treatments and about 5 weeks of radiation and maybe another few weeks to recover. Hoping to get back at it in September, hope ,hope,hope !

Then I usually do a forty hour work week and about 30 hours of office work to make the forty hour work week possible. I sure hope my employees don't fire me the first day back on the job, they sure make it seem like they don't need me at all, I'm pretty sure they will be happy to give me back the office end of it though :)

tery and rad1 like this.

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    You don't really need job what with the work you've put in right here!

8. Recce

Recce Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    I work 8-4:30 M-F. Work looking at a computer. Probably will work about ten more months and retire.

9. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Meister

Mar 11, 2015
    Upper Midwest
    60-80 hrs a week, and like Jupiter says, the brain is often working on something even when I'm not at work. Salary. Applied research & education for a large public university. The work is very project-based; so we'll do, e.g., an economic impact analysis for a small city & then deliver the report, do a presentation, and then on to the next project. 12-15 projects in motion at any given time. I love my colleagues. As smart, funny and respectful as any group of humans I've worked with. I'm 64 and not at all clear on what I want to do over the next few years - Continue working this job? Find another job? Full-blown retirement? Work part-time? Love to find a way to play/sing more music.

Milspec likes this.

10. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2018
    Savannah GA
    Aerospace Engineering. I'm the boss. There really isn't any time apart from sleep that isn't "at work", I suppose. Retirement is a few years out, and that will be that. I'll try to find gigs where I can sit in the back, play Buffet and blues for beers, and be ignored by the patrons.

Nickadermis likes this.

11. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Same here, but my title is "Senior Software Engineer", because I thought that sounded cooler, and I'm the only tech person here, so I got to pick my title. :) I basically set my own hours and can work from home whenever. It's a pretty sweet job so far (3 months in).

The only downside is that even when I'm in the office, I'm pretty secluded. I could go days without interacting with anybody. Gets a little lonely.

Grant Austin likes this.

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    40hrs M-F. Contract Engineering Analyst. Sit in front of two 27" screens all day every day, mostly reviewing antique (1960's-1980's) blueprints that have been digitized for computer use. I've outlasted all the other old geezers that could read a blueprint...so color me guru. Zero stress (other than my office nemesis), nothing to take home. If I am required to attend a meeting (rare), I'm only there to provide expertise, no presentations, no reports, occasional paragraph or two of BP related e-blather. Been here 19yrs.

The good: I'm required to be online all day. No restrictions (other than the Army's firewall) about visiting forums, such as this one. Heck, they even provide a canned program so I can watch the news or listen to local radio, if I so desire. Looking at retiring sometime between 2020 and 2021.

The bad: I'm sitting here 8hrs... I need to get up and walk around more!

Nickadermis likes this.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Probably about 45 or so. I’m an engineer at my 9-5, so it’s “brain work” in theory but really just makes me glorified secretary and babysitter. It’s physical if you include a lot of typing and moving paper...

t guitar floyd likes this.

14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    So far I'm only scheduled for 50 hours this week but they'll probably add Saturday. My house is falling down around me and I have no time to fix anything.

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Depending on where you live and what you can get some people get no choice

I average 40h a week / sometimes do 60, but that extra time will be travelling to work events where everyone drinks wine etc

t guitar floyd likes this.

16. Northern Tele

Northern Tele TDPRI Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Canada
    40hrs. No brain needed but pays better than skilled jobs I've had. I have learned to treat the job as my hobby and it funds art supplies and guitar purchases as well as paying bills.

No point in working overtime because it gets consumed in taxes and is hardly worth it.

Wearing yourself out working is neither praiseworthy or heroic. It is stupid, so I do what I need to do and once I clock out it is over for the day.

17. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 28, 2010
    Ohio
    15 minute commute....In the office at 7. Head home at 4:30. M-F
    Own an HVAC company with 8 employees. I run sales calls everyday or I'm on the phone.
    Wake up at 4am...crap how will we get all this work done...then tomorrow, same deal, but crap we need more work.
    Been doing this on my own since '91. In the trade since '75. No physical work at work anymore.
    Retire in a few years.

Nickadermis likes this.

18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2014
    Bucks Co. PA
    0 .... unless you want to count paid musical activities as work. I haven't worked at anything but music in 10 years .... I don't care to either.

Nickadermis and a_pidgeon like this.

19. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    40, no overtime until fiscal year end in June. My job certainly isn't physical, but I can't in good faith call it brain work either. But, I get to go to work every day in jeans and listen to music, and nothing follows me home after I punch out. It's not such a bad gig.

tery likes this.

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Work :confused: ... who me ?

Nickadermis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.