Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many hours per week to you play?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Knowcaster, Nov 11, 2017.

How many hours do you play guitar per week on average? Gigging, practicing, noodling on the couch

1. Less than 1 hour

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 to 3 hours

12.7%
  3. 3 to 5 hours

18.2%
  4. 5 to 10 hours

38.2%
  5. 10 to 20 hours

25.5%
  6. 20 to 40 hours

5.5%
  7. Over 40 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In the typical week, how many hours do you spend playing a guitar? I probably average about 8 to 10 hours per week - about 2.5 hours at band rehearsal, a half hour day practicing, and another couple of hours of random noodling, checking out guitars at GC, plus about an hour of gig time (we do about one per month, divided by 4 weeks), etc. How about you?

2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Meister

Jun 14, 2017
    Canada
    I am usually between 10 and 15 hrs.

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Besides jams and gigs, I only practice on the days that I eat and breath. ;)

nojazzhere likes this.

4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Meister

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    I desperately wish it was more since it’s my biggest and best stress reliever but about 3 hours is all I can seem to squeeze in. I travel most weeks so I take my Strat and Amplug so I can noodle in the hotel room as work allows. Sometimes running scales or chord changes mindlessly while on conference calls (muted) in the evenings is all I can cram in.

Rospo and Grux like this.

5. LP26

LP26 TDPRI Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    I make an effort to play/practice/work on new material for at least an hour a day.

My life is somewhat hectic so, more often than not, I fall short of that goal.
    When I do fall short I find my modest skill set sadly eroding rather rapidly.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Like Roy Hobbs says in "The Natural", "My mind was always on the game.".....at my stage in my musical life, I can be practicing even without a guitar in my hands. Not to sound arrogant (heaven forbid) but most of my chances for improvement are in "lines", phrasing and arrangements. I will NEVER play like Vai or Bonamasso or any of those guys....no matter how much time I put in, but I CAN grow and improve in (hopefully) originality and musicality. As I've mentioned here before, for good or not, there is ALWAYS music going on in my head....it just won't ever turn off....

Modman68 and MickM like this.

7. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    This week, at least 24.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    Not as many as I'd like.

9. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I try to "work" on something specific for about an hour a day...but it usually devolves into mindless noodling.

10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I have a job as a musical babysitter/guitar therapist/guitar and bass instructor so I have a guitar in my hands between 4 and 8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Other than teaching, I probably put in about an hour a day on my own stuff.

Several people have asked me, "Don't you get tired of playing guitar all the time?"

So far the answer has been and still is, "Nope, not yet!"

11. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    About 10-15 hours in an average week. I do spend quite a bit of that time in unstructured or repetitive riffs or phrases tho. Plus quiet introspective noodling. I really should be more disciplined but I am easily sidetracked.

12. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    4 hours per week in rehearsal then usually about an hour per day. Although recently I've been trying to write a new batch of songs and have hit a bit of writers block, the frustration of that has stopped me picking the guitar up much in the last couple of weeks.

13. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I'm jealous of these numbers. Since having little ones with 9:00 bedtimes, I hardly ever play around the house. I get to play at church though.

Grux likes this.

14. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    I play on TDPRI all the time

15. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I try to aim for 2 hours every weekday evening if possible, which should mean on average 10-14hrs per week give or take. I try to focus on rhythm, different time signatures. Going to go back to basics and figure out chord theory.

BuckSatan likes this.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I wonder how many of us are therefore musicians who chose not to become musicians

nojazzhere likes this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm in the 10-20 hours/week. Over 20 in the deep of winter and sometimes less than 10 at the peak heat of summer. 2 hours per day is pretty much standard, but if I get on my big pedalboard, it can go to 3 hours a day very easily.

18. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I feel ya bro, got a 2yr old and one on the way

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    You bring up a good point...I sincerely hope I don't offend anyone here, (ha! fat chance!) but I realized a LONG time ago that the musician "life-style" was not for me.....too many musicians are flaky, unreliable or trustworthy, and flat-out dishonest. The work schedule ( late nights, sleeping in, working around dense smoke, drugs and heavy drinkers) is just not conducive to a healthy family life. I have had lifelong friends who played in bars and clubs all their lives, and then die at an early age of cancers, ruined livers, and other ailments related to the "club" environment. This is not a condemnation of anyone here, but it's just not my "bag". I have always played, and always will, but I'm resigned to doing it on my terms.
    And incidentally, how many of you know guys in their forties and fifties, who live the "rock'n roll life, have thinning hair down their backs, dress all in black, and look like they've been "rode hard and put up wet????" ....and they still think they're gonna be "discovered" next weekend? Many of those guys "work" at Guitar Center, do the guitar show circuit, or deal drugs.....all of that's why I feel I'm a musician who chose not to be a musician......with malice to none!

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I gig between 3-5 nights a week.
    The shows are usually between 90 minutes and 3 1/2 hours.
    I usually rehearse with someone once or twice a week.
    I practice an hour or two a day.
    Nothing disciplined, I ain't the academic type.
    I play a couple of bass gigs a month.
    I do vocal rehearsals with two bands.
    I am recording with my main band.
    My guitars and I are getting along famously lately.
    I feel just like a real musician, man!:rolleyes:

JayFreddy and ndcaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.