Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How Many Acoustics Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by P Thought, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

Nov 13, 2010
    USA
    Let's see:
    1. Martin D35
    2. Takamine TF450SMSB Pro (MIJ)
    3. Takamine F-385 12 String (MIJ)
    4. Martin DX1AE
    5. Taylor Baby Taylor Mahogany
    6. Ibanez AW54 MINI-OPN
    7. Yamaha F325D

P Thought likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 4, 2015
    UK and EU
    Several.
    My Eko Ranger from 1969. pic
    A spruce and curly sycamore classical I built in 1985. Never made another.
    1956 Gibson ES125. pic
    Otto Vowinkel classical from about 2009.
    Martin OM21 about 2010.
    Jake Fuller classical 2012. pic
    Gretsch Alligator G9240 resonator 2016
    Mule resonator 2018. When I die it's coming with me! pic

77062-1473171342018.jpg 20180902_184722.jpg Jake P Fuller #82.jpg 20180506_092730.jpg

P Thought and Stringbanger like this.
  3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2010
    Iowa
    I just added a '72 Guild D-35 a few days ago. Here it is with my other Guild and my hand-built dread.

[​IMG]

Bob M, P Thought and Stringbanger like this.
  4. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    AVE.jpg
    Does this help ?

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ...uh, not really - what's the point of digital photos if you can't see what's going on (JK!)

Looks like a wonderful place!

dustoff's acoustics visibility.jpg

6. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 5, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Tacoma 90s (I think) DM-10E (not a cutaway)
    Suzuki classical guitar with nylon strings
    Yamaha dreadnought FGX800C acoustic-electric cutaway
    1994 Seagull S12 acoustic but with only 6 strings on it.

P Thought likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    1986 Fender F250 Dreadnought
    1986 Fender F270CE Acoustic-electric-cutaway Dreadnought
    1956 Airline Archtop (in need of a neck reset)
    197? Alvarez Classical/Catgut
    20?? Dean Chrome G acoustic-electric resonator

...and two no-name cheap and cruddy catgut acoustics that are wallhanger/sentimental non-functional instruments.

The Dean will be upgraded at some point, as will the Alvarez. I'd like to get a 12-string someday.

P Thought likes this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Five or six?

Let's see...

Taylor 512
    Taylor 812 C
    Taylor Dreadnaught 12 string from the '80's
    Harmony Sovereign set up as an acoustic lap steel
    Ventura acoustic with a built in magnetic pickup set up for bottleneck

Yeah, I think that's it. so five. Why am I thinking I have another? There are a couple of mandolins, a 1918 Gibson A and an Ovation.

P Thought likes this.
  9. navigate40

navigate40 TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2018
    SE FL
    3 right now.

Martin DRS2, which I will not take out of the house
    Breedlove Stage Dread, which I will take out :)
    Breedlove Stage Concert, Black Magic, because I really like black guitars and wanted a concert size.

WISH I could justify these, but this is just a wish list:

Gibson J-15
    J-200
    Martin D35 or D45, maybe one in black

3 electrics:

Fender 52 RI tele (a build with Fender OV pups), butterscotch
    Fender FSR HH tele (converted to S/P90), sea foam pearl (surf green to me)
    Gibson LP, faded cherry

Currently building a Fender 72 Tele deluxe with a 920D loaded pickguard with Duncan P rails. Sonic Gray.

P Thought and Mincer like this.
  10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    5-'76 D-18; '52 ES-125; Recent Regal Resonator; 2001 Dobro F-60 squareneck; Ovation Celebrity nylon string. I always consider the ES-125 an acoustic. It is always lying around and gets played almost exclusively as an acoustic.

P Thought likes this.
  11. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Tampa Bay Area
    A few, but they are strange:

1. Adamas SMT
    2. Line 6 Variax Acoustic
    3. Yamaha nylon string designed for steel string players (thinner body/narrow neck)
    4. Luna bamboo travel acoustic

P Thought likes this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Three.

Nothing special: a Yamaha 700 something, an 80s Sigma 12 string, and a Regal resonator.

P Thought likes this.
  13. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Since this thread popped up again, I feel the need to update. I LOVED the Martin in the attached post, but I'd really come to hate dealing with humidity management. Always running (and cleaning and filling and monitoring) humidifiers in the winter and watching the extremes in both winter and summer and casing it with humidipaks when things got extreme ion either end. And about a month ago I was checking stuff out over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, because I'd upgraded the Jim Dandy to a Yamaha CSF3M (a nicer parlor with a passive pickup). And while there learned, for the first time, about carbon fiber guitars. And got intrigued. And got obsessed. And read every review and watched every Youtube clip I could find. And decided I had to check one of these out because, if I liked it, it could end my humidity worries.

So I ordered an Emerald X20 from Ireland. And it's different looking but I love it. It's a little bigger than a 000, but it sounds a lot like a Dread, with plenty of low end and amazing note separation. It doesn't sound like any particular material, it sounds like a really nice acoustic guitar should. So that's the one hanging up and in the studio shot Emerald sent along with it, where you can see the color and the carbon weave. In most lighting it looks like it's black or very deep purple, not red. I returned the Yamaha and sold the Martin to pay for it. And put the humidifiers out of commission as well. I will never worry about what climate conditions I expose this guitar to...

And then I still wanted a parlor, but a cheaper one than the Yamaha and I didn't need a pickup because the Emerald has one - my only need for a pickup is to be able to play acoustic tracks into my looper sometimes. And I decided to go for a slight upgrade to the Jim Dandy and bought this Gretsch G9511 Style 1 Single-0 Parlor, which is about as boxy sounding as the Jim Dandy but with a sweeter underlying tone that comes through the boxiness, and it plays wonderfully. That's the one standing on the floor. I actually thought about an Emerald carbon fiber parlor too - they make an X7 that's a little larger than a parlor and there are some pretty nice used ones out there (they recently upgraded it to something a bit bigger than a parlor) that I was seriously tempted by. Maybe someday, but I wasn't up for spending that much right after buying the X20. So I bought the Gretsch just to have something and as a GAS killer so I won't have to think about the Emerald parlor for a while. And it's cheap enough, that like the Jim Dandy, I'm just not gonna worry about humidity. If I have to replace it at some point, I will...

So, still two, a big and a little, but two different ones.

[​IMG]untitled-1-2 by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]Emerald X20 by Ray, on Flickr

coonhollow greg and P Thought like this.
  14. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I have 15 acoustics. One is a tenor, one a 12 string, one is a classical and one is a 1959 Guild archtop. Only two dreads. One is a 1979 Martin D-18. (not real fond of dreads). Also have a fiddle, an F-5 mandolin that I made from scratch, a mountain dulcimer (also made from scratch), a five string banjo, an antique banjolele, and three ukes.
    Only two are A/E both Yamahas, an APX600 and an NTX600 (nylon string) (never have cared much for the sound of A/E's).

During my 60+ years of playing I have played far more acoustic than electric. In fact, during a span of about 25 years I didn't even own an electric. When someone tells me that they play guitar the first thought I have is acoustic unless they specified that they play electric guitar.

P Thought likes this.
  15. dragonfly66

dragonfly66 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 14, 2010
    USA
    I have 12 Acoustics. I started on acoustic. I figured out I am a mahogany lover. I also like all-myrtlewood guitars. Breedlove has done an outstanding job with their Oregon series!

I keep buying rosewood guitars in hopes I will like them or think I need to have one around just for variety, but I end up being disappointed every time. The Martin 000-28EC will be gone soon. The Bedell Bellissima sounds fantastic though with the cedar top.

Considering getting rid of several guitars, because they take up a lot of room and I'm just not playing them all.

MUST HAVES
    • Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) - favorite
    • Martin CS 00-14 (all hog/adi bracing) - favorite
    • Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) - favorite
    • Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/palo escrito) - nylon guitar
    • Taylor 412ce LTD (sitka/walnut/maple neck) - gigging guitar
    • Journey Instruments OF-660 (carbon fiber) - travel guitar

MAYBE LET GO
    • Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa)
      Has sentimental value because I bought it on my birthday in 2009. I love the way it sounds, but it is a little higher in register than the mahogany guitars. It is a beautiful guitar as well.
    • Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle/maple neck)
      Powerful parlor, 12-fret, but the sound is boxy and not in a dry blues kind of way, but has lots of overtones. Not sure where this one fits in. Thinking about replacing this one with the new Breedlove Concerto which has a bigger body, a little longer scale length.
    • Bedell Bellissima (sinker cedar/figured rw)
      Not really a rosewood lover, but this does sound very good. I think the cedar warms it up enough for me to like it. This guitar is not a favorite for anything I play though.

READY TO LET GO
    • Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/hog)
      Great fingerstyle sound, crisp and clear, but doesn't overwhelm me
    • Taylor T5z (sitka/hog)
      Thought I'd want a hybird acoustic/electric for solo gigs, but I'd rather play a real acoustic and a real electric.
    • Martin 000-28EC (sitka/rw)
      Like I said, just not into rosewood. Rosewood sounds like it is competing with my voice where mahogany sounds like it is singing with me.
    acoustic_guitars.png

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    P Thought likes this.
  16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My update to this thread: the acoustic that I'd loaned out with the hopes that it'd never return, has in fact, returned.

So I own precisely one acoustic guitar.

I played it, I still don't like it.

I'd like to get acoustics...kinda. But I don't.

P Thought likes this.
  17. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh

but I've bought 18 guitars this year that I can recall (one of them was an acoustic, but I've already let it go. I also sold a bourgeois slope D that I've had since 2006 - it was a great guitar, but bellied over 12 years and needs a neck reset, and since i don't play acoustics much, I decided not to keep it and have another neck reset in another ten years).

I do have a stew mac kit (rosewood dred) and enough materials to build two more acoustics (and plan to).

Like pedal man, I'm curious and tend to buy a lot and then only keep a few. But I buy and then resell and count the cost difference as the cost of getting a whiff of a given guitar. If it's really good, I'll keep it and plan to try to build a version of it. If I can build a good version, then the "store bought" guitar will hit the road.

My single acoustic guitar is a structurally deficient but sonically decent crafters of tennessee guitar. The neck was set on it improperly and it was dead as a doornail when I got it. crafters remedied that by filing most of the frets off on the last several frets instead of fixing it properly, and I found out later that I'm lucky that they just didn't keep it and fix it and sell it to someone else when I sent it back. So, basically, I have it because nobody would want it.

P Thought likes this.
  18. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Apr 29, 2003
    I have the following:
    1982 Santa Cruz Dread Cutaway Brazilian/Sitka
    1995 George Stewart Mini Jumbo Brazilian/German Spruce
    2002 Merrill OM 28 Brazilian/Adirondack
    2011 Brondel A2 Wenge/Carpathian Spruce
    2016 Northwood L00 Mahogany/Torrefied Adirondack
    2017 Kenny Hill New World Classical Indian Rosewood/Englemann Spruce
    Two ukes, a Weissenborn style Koa, and a Gibson F9.

P Thought likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Did I already answer this thread?
    Three.

Larrivee OM-09, beautiful in every way.
    Blueridge 12 string Jumbo
    Alvarez beater 6 string dread

I would someday like to upgrade the Alvarez beater to a more giggable J-45 clone, but that's a ways off.

20. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Connecticut
    I gig primarily (well at this point exclusively) acoustic, but I have 5.

1) Rainsong Parlor P12. This is actually my main guitar right now.
    2) Kronbauer Mini Jumbo with K&K pickup
    3) Guild OM 140CE
    4) Seagull S6 Cedar
    5) Alpaca carbon fiber travel guitar

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.