Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many "1 song" pedals are on your board.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Les H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    my board isnt designed "per song". Its literally designed "per guitar and pickups in said guitar".

IE, "this pedal is used for this pickup", usually. Or maybe "this pedal PLUS this pedal for this pickup setting in the strat", etc etc.

This way I set up three or four different tones, hopefully with relatively balanced volumes... and then I just choose which sound-tone I want to use for whatever song. My band is too big for any realistic use of time based FX for my guitar, so I dont have that as a consideration.

the only pedal that is used on a per song basis is the wah. That makes sense, even if the rest of my post does not.

RetroTeleRod and waparker4 like this.
  2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    Big Muff only for "Spirit in the Sky". Wah for 1-2 songs but it's there if we do "White Room". I could do without both, and my chorus.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I want to try some of those switch hats

[​IMG]

I have a different philosophy. I won't remove a pedal if it doesn't get used much. I'd be more inclined to remove it if it's always on.. and try to find a way to make the dry tone sound better. I was happy that I could get through most of our set with no pedals on. My guitar tone was there without any 'always on' combination of a boost into a compressor into a buffer into a klon into another boost.

The pedals that get turned on for 1 song are gravy. This solo is quite simple and dry. Ooh, that tremolo makes it very interesting! We can now write more songs that use those seasonings for a nice effect ;)

I guess my reply to this thread was in agreement with it, but by coincidence. It's how the songs were laid out in the set. If I need the phaser for some other song, then I'll have a two-song pedal. :D

So it's not like I have phaser A for song #5, bridge, and phaser B for song #6. I just have flavors of pedals, selected for effect, not for tone shaping.

In my other band, it's similar. But the delay, and distortion get used alot more. Out of a 10 set song, 1 will have some phaser, a couple chorus, and almost every one will have delay and distortion.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    MilwMark likes this.
  4. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2016
    Sweden

But i know 0 songs to :D im not the guy you come asking to play covers.

”You play guitar, play a song”

”Nope”

Ex-riverman likes this.
  5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Great pedals! I'm using them together with my DL-8 on the Slap Back mode and the RV-7 set to Plate. Excellent for a twangy clean tone. :cool:

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Those hats are a practical idea if like me you can't seem to hit the TBP button very well. I have to look into that.

I think we may have a similar philosophy. I often use no pedals. And I recently (last 6 months) moved away from the multiple pedal "always on" nightmare (my opinion) you reference. I often don't use the ones that are on my board at all (except the tuner). Or play shows without the board. But if I have the board, I'll tend to use each on at least a couple songs, I guess. Weird.

I'm down to:
    - tuner
    - "movement" (CE-2w - subtle chorus and not-so-subtle vibrato are very useful in creating atmosphere or sounding like a rhodes)
    - "louder"/cut
    - delay

I kept trying to make tremolo work but it just doesn't for me in a dense mix. Strangely, a good vibrato can do much of what a trem can (plus other things) while maintaining a slot in the mix better (for me).

7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2018
    Washington, UK
    I have a Boss BF-2 Flanger on my board that I don't use at all, but I have nothing to fill the gap if I removed it (and it's a cool colour).

8. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2007
    Brittany
    I've played straight-into-amp-only, playing mostly blues up until one year ago -some months after joining a band requiring more 'variety' (jazz-funk, including some reggae-ish bits).
    Out of 5 pedals on my home-made pedalboard (Compressor > Wah > OD > Tremolo > Delay), the Delay and the Tremolo are only used for one song each during a gig -typically my band plays 15 songs sets. I use the rest with moderation : Wah on 2 songs, OD mainly used as a boost for solos on about 5 songs. Compressor is the one I use the most, I think.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My least used pedal is my EHX pitchfork and it gets used on:
    1. Kosmic Debris -Zappa ( as octaver)
    2. Josey -Steely Dan (as octaver)
    3. Cruise Control- Dregs (as octaver)
    4. as yet unamed original tune ( tuned to 5th above)

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Got an EH B-9 pedal for organ sounds. Used mostly for 3 songs - House of the Rising Sun, She's About a Mover and for the organ solo on Evil Ways.

It's not an always on pedal.

But when you step on it, the audience comes alive! Has to be used sparingly and it's not always on my board either.

bendercaster and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Tremolo, courtesy of a Mooer Trelicopter. I've used it for one song in each band I've played with in the last 3 years:

Band 1: I heard it through the grapevine (CCR version);
    Band 2: Don't let me down;
    Band 3: Gimme Shelter.

4pickupguy likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Agreed. My main board has just three - overdrive, trem, and 'verb. (I use headstock tuners.)

My big board has more, but I don't use it as often. What for? Less is more.

13. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2011
    Wiltshire UK
    Just one for me, a Cry Baby Mini that I picked up cheap and put on my big ‘board because I thought I might need a wah some day. I have used it precisely once, ever.

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Tele-Afflicted

Mar 21, 2015
    Omaha
    The whole board.
    I only know two songs.

4pickupguy and ravindave_3600 like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Tremolo... depending on the night, it might be a ‘no song pedal’. Toying with making a fuzz to replace it.

16. jomazq

jomazq Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2010
    whittier, ca
    I used to have a fuzz a drive a distortion a boost another overdrive and three different delays. Maxxed out my pedal board. Each of them for one song except my overdrive and analog delay. Now I have a vox tonelab with 3 banks of sounds for 15 songs. I guess that'skind of like having about... 30 effect and 6 or so multi channel amps with me for a cover band gig.

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Zero.
    My reverb is almost always on. All other pedals on my board are used for several songs each.
    I'm not in a tribute or showband where I'm supposed to mimic a certain sound 100%. I'm more about sounds I find both interesting as well as fitting for a song, but that don't overpower the sound of my guitar.
    That's why I've become rather picky with pedals lately and tried to reduce the number of pedals to the necessary minimum. Wah, clean-boost, overdrive (plus amp-distortion), delay with some crazier pitchshift, delay with more moderate modulation, reverb/tremolo and a noisegate.

18. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Tremolo for 'Rumble' and a Behringer VT911 for 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'.
    Everything else ( and there isn't much ) gets more than one song use.

At home?, only the trem. Other fuzzes cover many excursions depending on mood. The VT911 is, by pretty much any pedal metric, a rubbish pedal, but by 'eck on a penny farthing does it nail the 'Asheton' sound when everything is cranked to destruction.

19. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I havent really thought about this much before, but I guess all of my pedals are used sparingly. I have a small board with 5 pedals and use them to add a speficic effect for a specific part or song and not for general tone shaping. Of the 25 or so songs we play, I use my C9 Organ pedal 3 times, my Rat and Delay for solos in 5 songs, my tube screamer for 1, and depending on the guitar I am playing and how loud the other guitar is is, my Boost for some clean fills or solos. I suppose I could just roll the volume back on the guitar while using the Rat for the song I use my Tube Screamer on, but it's not going to make my board any smaller.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.