Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How many "1 song" pedals are on your board.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Les H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    Just for fun. How many pedals you guys carrying just for one or two songs?

I have a small stone phaser for one song.
    Boss chorus for a couple songs
    OCD pedal for 1-2 songs tops.
    Had a tremolo pedal for a "just in case" song not normally on the list. I did ditch it because my chorus can get close enough for me in a pinch. I needed some real estate on my board for another one use pedal!

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

shoot man, all you need is a tuner and that phaser.... set that mutha to stun!

3. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I only *need* the delay for one song but since it's there, I tend to kick it on for other things too. I tend to prefer having either reverb or delay (my amps have good verb) because I use them for the same "space" but I often gig with both available!

4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    How about naming the effect and the song you use it for?

5. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Mar 27, 2011
    La mesa
    Fulltone ultimate octave for 2 bars of nasty, raspy fuzz.... pisses me off. I’ve tried to find a multitasker that can do that job as well, but I just can’t get it kicked off the board.

6. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2018
    Kansas
    Ok.
    Now that I have to think it I use the phaser on 2 songs: Luckenbach Texas and Lonesome Onry and Mean.
    Chorus: Cowboy Rides Away and Amarillo By Morning more so to give an acoustic guitar like effect.
    OCD pedal: Tush, sometimes we'll do Simple Man but only by repeated request. (I'm kinda over Lynyrd Skynyrd tunes after enough years)
    Tremolo: Born On The Bayou

3fngrs likes this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I only use the tremolo setting on my modulation pedal for "Smack Dab in the Middle" which I learned from the Ry Cooder version. But all pedals get a lot of use. I don't have any one pedal for just one song.

8. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Nagoya, Japan
    Mine is the Ibanez DE-7, which I have on my board for the disintegrating repeats at the end of Karma Police. All other delay duties are covered by the NUX Tape Core, but its self-oscillation is rubbish compared to the DE-7.

9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I have an Adrenalinn III, that has some sounds in it that I think you could only use once. I can't decide whether to sell it or make it the entire basis for my creative ouevre.

10. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    It's a boss re20 and I use it for oscillating freakout noises on our version of 'Red Beans and Rice'

3fngrs likes this.
  11. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2014
    Southampton uk
    5!!! Hardwire rv7 and dl8 get used together for one song.

Boss dd3
    Ehx superego
    Pog2

Also I have an ehx blurst which I’ve been using to make noise at the end of songs and is totally unnecessary and probably counts as a no song pedal haha!!!

jddub440 likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    None.

I read that Jackson Brown has a different guitar for every song.

MilwMark likes this.
  13. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Hope he doesn't feel the same about pianos! :lol:

14. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2010
    Earth
    I have a wah I only use for "Fire on the Mountain" and "Waitin' for the Bus."
    And it's been a loooong time since I've done the "Scarlet/Touch/Fire" thing.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Last gig - lots of clean guitar
    5 pedals on 3 songs
    3 songs - acoustic
    1 song - clean electric

VFE Enterprise phaser - 1 song ("Everything Is Trash" - an original)
    Garagetone Delay - slapback - 2 songs ("Limerence" - an original; "American Made Machine" - Cary Ann Hearst)
    Xotic SL drive - 1 song ("The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair" - Led Zep)
    MXR Il Torino - 1 song ("The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair" - Led Zep)
    Keeley Dynatrem - 1 song ("American Made Machine" - Cary Ann Hearst ... guitar solo)

On only for solos... except the Xotic on the Led Zep cover

I tried to hit the MXR for a solo on 1 tune, but I missed

[​IMG]

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I played in a cover band that did the TJATS hit "I Think We're Alone Now", and I had a looper pedal that was set up to play the crickets chirping which I would stomp on every time it came around to the chorus. Never used it for any other song.

waparker4 likes this.
  17. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I don't have any "one song" pedals on my board. But the two least used would be my Boss Phase Shifter and my Black Cat Mini Trem. Both great pedals and I love their sounds, but they don't work for just everything. When appropriate though, I love 'em!

18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I have 0 song pedals on my board depending on who I'm playing with. I think of it as a matter of having a tool kit of tones at my disposal. I rarely use more than a couple at any one gig.

Gunerius likes this.
  19. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    zero

and I'm happy about that.

MilwMark likes this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I love, love, love the Il Torino. But I've moved away from those MXR sized boxes for anything, for that reason. Boss, baby. And the Fulltone Fulldrive 1. Which has a sloped front with the knobbies way back from the switch.

I'm with @Wrong-Note Rod - nothing on my board that I would use for one song. I do play in one cover band, but don't feel constrained to try to use every effect that the original artist used on record.

With only 4 pedals (including tuner) and a board only just big enough to contain with sufficient room to turn them on/off accurately, no room for extras. Form follows function.

I can have and will play many shows with no pedals so in a sense they're all extraneous? But I'm not militant about that and prefer to have and use my 4.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.