Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

how long?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by vwcrash, Dec 19, 2008.

1. vwcrash

vwcrash NEW MEMBER!

Dec 18, 2008
    so fl
    how long after the last coat of lacquer should I wait until sanding and polishing?:?:

2. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 7, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I wait 3-12 weeks. If it feels sticky it is sticky. The reranch I used was hard as a rock after 2 months. The deft I used still feels a little tacky after 6 months.

If using spray cans I think the general recommendation is 30 days. If mixing and spraying with a gun I see guys getting good results in a week. I know with cars we would do a rough sand after a week or 2 and then a final sand and polish at about 6 months. This was for cars we showed.

3. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I've used McFadden and Deft products thinned and sprayed with gun sprayers.

I usually sand and buff after 2 or 3 weeks and haven't had any problems. The finishes seem to be plenty hard enough to work up nicely.

4. Home Grown Tele

Home Grown Tele Tele-Holic

Aug 21, 2006
    The Queens
    Easiest way to tell is the "fingernail test." If you can dent the lacquer by lightly pressing it with your fingernail in an unobtrusive area, such as the neck pocket or a pickup cavity, it's not ready for polishing.

30 days cure time is usually OK if you haven't layed on a lot of clear coats.

5. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 11, 2007
    Quebec, Canada
    Similar experience. 6 weeks and I finished the reranch to a super high gloss and was rock hard, using Watco I couldn't get the same shine but after 5 months took it apart and did it again (once it was really hard) and it's perfect.

The reranch one was hard enough to assemble after 2-3 weeks but wasn't "ready" to be brought up to a finish.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree; I assemble once about two months' in. Play it in. Take it apart a few months later and polish it up if that seems to suit the look of the guitar, some are actually OK as they are. I think.

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    I used Mohawk Instrument Lacquer, left it in a small powder room with a heater set to about 75* and after two weeks I could'nt dent it with my nails. Works great if you cant wait longer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.