Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How long dows it take to work out cone cry?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bob Womack, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    From what I understand, this is evident in almost all 12” and larger spreakers. Has to do with the cone “rippling” in waves as well as moving in and out. Cant remember where I read that but it seemed to be a reputable site.

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    My cone cry on my vibrolux never went away even after rotating the speaker. Finally broke down and had it re-coned. No more crying except tears of joy from the sound.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Cone cry is not related to anything that can be rectified by rotation of the speaker. That ‘cure’ was mentioned with regard to voice coil rub.

Ribs in the cone in addition to doping the surround can help minimize the problem of cone cry. Stiffer paper is better than thinner paper. Any light paper without ribs and little or no doping will exhibit cone cry when presented with signals of a certain strength.

alnicopu likes this.

5. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Sorry, I thought they were the same thing. I had cone rub and it did not help rotating the speaker but I gave it a shot anyway.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX

Voice coil rub and cone cry are two known and completely separate issues. Now, cone rub is something about which I know nothing. (;^)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.