How long do you typically go without talking to people?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Seems there are a lot of us Right brained types here. Artistic ,smart, self reliant and bored with others mundane life pursuits that differ from ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DHart likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Owenmoney , all great advice.
    What I've been finding though is that generally I get home from work, watch the news, eat something, and go to bed.

Probably just to avoid the quiet.

That bird that nested in my porchlight and her babies, that I've been talking to, are all gone now.

I've got to start some new patterns.

3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I had kids young. My social circle kind of fell away at that time. Then they moved. Now my kids are older and my friends are gone.

Sometimes I miss having people to talk to. More often I just take in the quiet.

4. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I talk to the bus drivers and friends on the bus. And the folks at the cafeteria downstairs.

I stop and talk to people I know walking.

If you are at home get out and walk and you will meet new people.

I wave to a person I see walking at 4:20 am as he lives in my complex.

5. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Not much. I detest trite chit chat about the weather or sports while waiting for what I'm actually wanting to do or where I want to be. So therefore, a conversation never takes hold and I'm good with that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Rev Rhythm likes this.
  6. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I don't even like being social at work to be honest.

Owenmoney likes this.
  7. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Man, that so reminds me of that Jack Nicholson movie As Good As It Gets. Jack's a misanthrope with OCD who goes to the same restaurant every day. Of course he builds a relationship with a waitress (Helen Hunt).

It was interesting for me to see the changes in Nicholson's character as the movie progressed-as he learned how to hate the world less.

Owenmoney and Flakey like this.
  8. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I love an intelligent,] engaging conversation, so I talk to myself constantly. A good chunk of the people on the street in New York seem to be doing the same.

9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I understand your feeling, I felt the same about my mom languishing in limbo for months

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I prefer horses, they never lie !

11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

If you exclude the above mentioned people then I can go a super long time.

Even close friends & my mom or siblings can be months on end.

12. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Even if you’re bored or tired go for a walk, get a dog, people always make a fuss over dogs, women will talk to you just because you have a cute dog, plus the dog will always be happy to see you when you get home. Go to a shelter and get an adult dog, they can stay by themselves for at least eight to ten hours.

13. blowtorch

The reason I excluded family is that I'm not often around any.
    Most everyone has to talk to people at work, and it's not necessarily very socially fulfilling.
    And online interaction is entertaining, sure, but in the context of human contact, it's sort of wanting in many factors...

so, I was just wondering if my current social isolation is , I don't know, considered normal

14. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Living alone with my 2 dogs, they're all I have to talk to. I will occasionally speak with my neighbors and help them out when I can. But down here I don't have any family or friends, so I wind up talking to myself a lot.

Quite frankly it's really getting to me and I have decided to move back home to Philly as soon as I can get a job there. I'll have plenty of people to speak with then.

15. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Not very long for me if no one talk i talk to myself even.

16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think being in a soulless ghetto is pretty common. Most people I know live in monochrome

This is the saddest thread I read in ages

I myself am very solitary, but reading the posts on here is making me reconsider. I think in the same way we are evolved yo eat a human diet, we are evolved for activity and interaction

Sitting in a chair all day in silence eating chocolate goes against our nature

Keefsdad likes this.
  17. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

A bunch of misanthropic sods we are indeed.

18. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoy talking to people and getting to know them, and will start a conversation with a stranger.

One of the many things I miss about life before the internet was that people knew how to talk to one another and were willing to invest a few minutes on something or someone besides their phone.

You were more accountable to the community and relationships and friendships seemed deeper.

Unfortunately our technological progress has even made those who used to be regular people even more self-important, fearful, distracted, and motivated by the superficial and material.

Yes there are probably more wackos out there now, but I think that is another isolating consequence of devices, credit cards, the internet, etc. People get weirder if they are able to indulge their worst impulses.

The zombie thing is real, and yet so many are so busy doing all kinds of busy work that doesn’t seem to make them happy. So they run out of time and drive angry and hurry through the flurry and you are just in their way if you can’t give them something they want right now.

I’ve been guilty of all of the above. Technology and Convenience are addictive.

People you thought were your friends and even your family members don’t take the time to respond to a message. I’ve forgotten myself and perhaps caused a friendship to die.

I’ve found myself not talking or smiling like I used to, but I try to hold on to who I was.

Sometimes people surprise me and are friendly back, but most of the time folks have blinders on and a scowl. I’ve caught myself doing it. I don’t want to be like that.

There is still hope, but at times I am discouraged and it makes me not want to talk to people at all.

I consider myself a loner, yet I do enjoy conversation. Strangers can be much more candid and profound if they believe your path will not cross theirs again.

The trouble is that now your electronic path will always cross and the stakes are so much higher for any and everything you say or do.

It’s a shame. We learn from others, and yet an entire facet of our humanity has been choked out by machines.

You wouldn’t think that me wearing a Shazam costume has anything to do with it do you?

Owenmoney and blowtorch like this.
  19. blowtorch

Work, meeting up with my sons once a week or so, and the occassional gig aside, I find myself pretty isolated these days.

I'd like to get to know people, but I don't really know how to go about it.

It seems like I wasn't paying attention and in the meantime, the rules have changed, or something.

Maybe I just got old.

Nubs likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I was over at the golf course the other day out on the driving range when a man and his son approached me and asked for some advice on hitting a lob wedge. I never offer advice, but if someone asks I might try to help them. I looked at what they were doing, then showed 'em how to set up to that type of club and hit a few shots with them. The lob wedge is a great weapon once you understand it, but a stroke waster until you do. They thanked me, but before they left the dad turned to me and said. You know I'm an equal opportunity kind of guy, I hate everybody! I still hate you but you seem like a decent sort, and I really appreciate you showing me how to hit that damned club. I thought his parting shot revealed he would fit right into this thread.

1955 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.