Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is your DNA/ancestry to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    I found out that I am Scandinavian traceable to 1795 South Carolina. My Y DNA Haplogroup I1 and my earliest relatives are rumored to be from Wales with a very popular surname which suggests that I am of Viking heritage and my paternal ancestors either came to Wales as Vikings or later or came as Normans after being assimilated. Interesting stuff but no other details.

2. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    That's the thing with genealogy, they're ALL dead ends :twisted:

I've had a go at doing my own family tree in recent years, with varying success on different branches of the lines. Reaching as far back as 1720 on one side and not getting further back than 1900 on others. A recent chat with a nephew has given a little extra impetus, and we've pushed each other on to find results not previously achieved.

The frustrations met on hitting the proverbial 'dead end' can be discouraging. Likewise, a new discovery can give great encouragement to keep searching. The time given to it is in fits and starts, but it can be quite intense, and harrowing at times. For example, the number of children dying in the 1860s not having reached the age of 5.

3. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    1776 - 1840 is kind of a dead zone in the US. The census wasn't very good, so you have to look for alternative sources. I still have a couple of dead ends in there. And the 1890 census fire made things harder. Fortunately, a lot of states had local censuses in the late 19th century.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018

4. jenos

jenos Tele-Meister

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Zero interest. People ask what I am, I say American from New Jersey... Because I am. If someone asks where my great parents were born, I say Poland.

In America, IMO, we get way too into saying the hyphens. i.e. Irish-American, African-American, Italian-American, etc... Like it's not cool to just say I'm an American. Like one of my best friends who got a tattoo of Italy on his back when he'd never even been there and only one family member had ancestry there. If I traveled to Poland, the Polish will call me American, not Polish-American. So I just find it wrong to tell someone I am Polish-American. I am proud to be born and raised as an American.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I would do it if I could afford it. I had some relatives do searches on both sides of my family and got some interesting data. Traced my maternal grandfathers family back to Bavaria and that ancestor fought against the French, then came to America in 1732. My Father is supposed to be related to Lord Craig in Scotland.

Doing family tree's in grammar school turned up Scotland, Ireland, England, Holland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and Cherokee. So I just consider myself to be a mut.:D

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I've been interested in my own genealogy for three decades or so. But in that time, I found out so much that the test wasn't that appealing to me. I figured it wouldn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. My wife didn't realize that I was blasé about it, and so she surprised me with it late last year. They had a "sale" going, for $79, I think. Anyway, I did it, sent it in, and the results came back with no surprises whatsoever.

However, the test wasn't a complete waste of money. It did provide a definite confirmation to what family lore and census records told me of my ancestors. My surname is an English toponym, and my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather came from Ireland, to what is now South Carolina, in the colonial days. The test confirmed that.

One unforeseen benefit is that this test came at a time when one of my granddaughters was expressing interest in her roots. Her mom, my oldest daughter, got the same test, around the same time. As far as I know, she and my wife did this separately. (Maybe they were both drawn in by that same "sale.") So we've had some conversations since about it. My daughter has much better computer skills than me, and there is much on the Internet now than when I was looking for records online. For that matter, my search predates the Internet (or common access to it), so much of my info gathering came from family lore and from traveling to different states to check libraries and visit cemeteries there. So whereas my daughter has found some names and dates that I didn't have, I could fill in some blanks for her, as well as impart some stories about family members she never knew.

Mike Simpson likes this.

7. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    That could be interesting.

8. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Times have changed since then. Back then you'd hit 'em on the head with a club and drag 'em back to your cave. Nowadays you hit on 'em in a club and drag 'em back to your cave. :D

9. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ

The reason for all the ads is to mine genetic data. If you read the small print you will find that your genetic data can be used by the company for just about any thing they want. Eventually they will have enough info that unless someone stops it insurance companies will be able to use genetics to set rates. YOU give them the right to use your genetic data against you. Look this up. They OWN your data if you buy into this.

Me...the only people who have rights to all my genetic data is the US gov through the "Million Vet Project".

I thought THAT was worthwhile as it is for disease and genetic research. Although I suppose they could always use it to clone GI Jane supersoldiers in the future (joke).

Gibson likes this.

10. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Well, I knew my father's side was Scottish. He remembers a great grandmother who must have been Welsh as he couldn't understand a word she said (or she spoke with such a thick Scottish brogue since she was an immigrant).

My mother's side of the family, and the one going back 5 generations here is German. She had known some German as a child from talking with her grandparents, and learned the family recipes.

My folks took a cruise to the British Isles a few years ago and a woman in a shop recognized her as Irish, asked if she was. Her birth mother's last name is Butler and had her DNA tested.

90% British Isles, the rest the people that had conquered and settled there- Scandinavian (Vikings), Italy (Romans), Northern European/Germanic (Saxons) and Iberian Peninsula (shipwrecked survivors from the Spanish Armada).

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't have any conspiracy fears about DNA testing. I am concerned that the results would reveal that I'm not human at all but am actually a visitor from some far away, ****hole planet.

catdaddy, drf64, Mike Eskimo and 7 others like this.

12. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Then you can join the rest of us survivors from the B Ark crash. :D

13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    IMG_1887.JPG
    Do you really need a DNA test?

Zepfan, Rustbucket, catdaddy and 4 others like this.

14. peterpicker

peterpicker Tele-Meister

Oct 24, 2010
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    I believe it's the Mormon Church gathering more info on everyone. They already have huge vaults of everyone's genealogy. The danger is that the authorities are starting to use that DNA data for investigations. Our freedom and privacy might be slowly getting taken away.

15. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I wouldn't say it is really important at all, and I dont really like the thought of sending anyone my dna not knowing what is being done with it, but just for kicks, I do think it would be cool to see what parts of the world made you what you are today.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Deportation 2.0. Coming to a regime near you soon.

Just saying data like can be open to abuse.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

Or worse - Norwegian...:rolleyes:

spellcaster likes this.

18. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Last year I retired from the oil business, where I worked as a geologist for 42 years. About 10 years ago I took the test to become a certified genealogist with the Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG). Now I spend most of my day working on difficult genealogy problems.

DNA is quickly becoming a very useful tool in solving difficult genealogy problems, when the document trail has dried up or documentary evidence is conflicting. However, it is very statistical and depends on having many people tested. An individual's DNA matches are compared with others who have tested. Presently, the database is relatively small worldwide, but it is growing. Over the next ten years DNA research will become a major part of the way in which genealogical research is performed.

The ethnicity part advertised by DNA companies is interesting but is largely useless as a genealogical tool. DNA companies use it as bait to get people to buy their product. I found out that I'm mostly of western European descent, with about 26% British Isles, 21% Scandinavian, and a small percentage of Irish thrown in the mix. It's interesting but it will not help me directly locate an ancestor. But the autosomal DNA information that comes with the test has helped me locate 4th and 5th cousins that I never would have found using document research.

Those who get tested have the option to make their DNA results available for comparison with others or to keep the results private. I chose to make my results available to others because I want to use the results as a research tool. I tested with AncestryDNA but plan on testing with FamilyTreeDNA later this year.

Harry Styron and Mike Simpson like this.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

20. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2016
    Katy, Texas
    Just want to clarify that the Mormon Church does not collect DNA data. They have amassed a very large collection of documents, both original and derivative, that provide the basis for most of the genealogical research in the world. It would be very difficult to do genealogical research, without the records collected by the church.

Also, I don't know of a situation where the "authorities" have used genealogical DNA from testing companies to invade privacy or take away our freedoms. I would be interested in what peterpicker knows on this subject.

Mike Simpson likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.