Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is your DNA/ancestry to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I could be curious if I dropped a dozen or so other curious things for a minute.
    Got a decent family tree dating to mid 17th C Ellis Island, so it's not a very big mystery.
    Also, I got put in lederhosen now and then as a kid, not the least bit attracted to ethnic costumes!
    My wife would love to see me in a kilt though, and she has a few of them.

Wyzsard likes this.

2. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Is one of your favorite movies Wizard of Oz ?

Toto, flying monkeys, and all that.
    :)

Toto'sDad likes this.

3. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    ...Burroughs?
    ...Corso??

boris bubbanov likes this.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    We're all related (and thank God for that)

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Yes it is, that was also revealed in my DNA testing along with the fact that I am uncommonly enamored of bacon.

Wyzsard and tery like this.

6. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Huh. My earliest ancestor in the US was (allegedly) the personal cigar maker for Ulysses S Grant, my Father was a drunk, and my Mothers father seems to have drank himself to death. I ended up the dope addict in the gutter, though in my gateway history I rolled a few.

7. tery

tery Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    My DNA ain't going to change the price of tea in China .

viccortes285 likes this.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

The "tree" of a person's ancestors (2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents. . .) doubles in numbers every generation, like that old penny-a-week-doubled-weekly allowance option. If the interval between generations averages 25 years, we don't have to go back much farther than Shakespeare's time to find ourselves related to everyone on the planet. Sort of cuts into the speciality of some people's claims to blood ties.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The geneology on my mother's Dad's family is very fully documented and goes back many, many generations - my grandfather was named for his great-grandfather's brother. The family Bibles are all there, including even some detail on the families of the women in the family as well, who married in.

So, I've had sufficient access to all of that, my whole life. I guess I can imagine why someone with no previous exposure to such things would have new excitement about it. I just don't feel that excitement, myself, after 6 decades of immersion in that.

I also feel like that, if there's an embroidered myth as to this grandmother or that one, and that's the way SHE preferred to remember it, I have a personal connection to her that continues now that she's gone, and if she'd prefer that no-one dig around in the bones and possibly debunk her "understanding" of events, I feel a stronger sense of duty to protect her "world" and if I go digging and destroy all of it, possibly, well I'm not going to do that to her ( to my recollections of her, really. )

I can't really "get closer" to some unidentified persons who died in the first half of the 1800s. I mean, for all I know, those forebears might've taken a distinct dislike for how I've lived my life and the choices I've made, if somehow they could reach across time and be informed. We pretend these people are "us" but in many ways, they're more strangers in truth, than the woman standing behind me in the checkout at Kroger's.

10. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Leesburg, GA
    If my sister hadn't done genealogy research 20 years ago, my DNA results would've been a total shock. My last name is O'Lear which along with my first name, Kevin Michael, we all thought we were Irish or at least Scottish/English. In her research, we found out we were actually from Austria and that our last name is really Olejar. Last year my wife bought the DNA kit for me & my brother did his about the same. Our results are very similar. We have 0 Scotch/English and very little Irish. Mostly Eastern & Western Europe along with a little bit of the Iberian Peninsula.

11. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'd wager O'Lear was the Anglicized version of the family name assigned by the immigration official at Ellis Island or whatever the U.S. Immigration point was. There are millions of us walking around with names like that. The Swedish side of my family was actually named Torstesen. But, for whatever reason the friendly folks at Ellis Island informed my great-great grandfather that he would henceforth have the last name Thompson.

They didn't like some of them furren soundin' names.

Smokin OP likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a bet with a buddy about who is more Neanderthal, but beyond that I have interest in the results. I have absolutely no interest in my ethnic makeup since those distinctions ... are made up. I'm Canadian, and as someone once said, a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian.

boris bubbanov likes this.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I traced my mom's paternal line back to 1100's in England / Wales and I have traced my dad's mom's line back to 1100's in Scotland but my Dad's father is / was unknown. My Dad searched for who his father was prior to the internet and I have been searching for years on and off but more seriously in recent years. My half sister and I have both tested at Ancestry DNA, Family Tree DNA Family Finder and 23andMe, all these are autosomal tests. I have also tested Y-DNA Y111 at Family Tree DNA. The admixture (geographical origin) of the autosomal tests matches the location of the known family tree. I have found several 2nd cousins and many 3rd cousins that I have in common with my half sister which do not appear to be linked to the 3 known branches of the family tree so these DNA relatives are most likely from my unknown grandfather's side of the family. We share a great grandfather with our second cousins so I now know who my great great grandfather is and the correct family surname. I am not sure which of his sons was my grandfather but I have narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities. DNA genealogy is fascinating and can be used to verify written records. My Ancestry DNA admixture is: Great Britain 34%, Scandinavia 22%, Europe West 15%, Ireland/Scotland/Wales 15% and now I know that my family surname should have been Warren.

For those that are paranoid about black helicopters, chemtrails, and some black ops government and insurance company DNA testing plan... remember all those times when you went to the doctor and they swabbed your throat for a culture, submitted a blood or urine sample or been drug tested by an employer you were handing out your DNA and bodily fluids in amounts far greater than was needed for the actual tests. What did any or all of them do with the extra samples?

14. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    You have it exactly right. Just because you throw your stuff into the melting pot doesn't mean you still don't have it. What the melting pot does mean is that you are free to take from the pot whatever you need. And so is everyone else.

As opposed to 'diversity' which limits one to what one already has, which may not be enough.

15. BigDaddyLH

I guess everyone can interpret "the melting pot" metaphor as they like. I always took it to mean you leave your differences behind.

In Canada, the metaphor is the mosaic, and not the melting pot.

16. BigDaddyLH

I have a cousin who is very into genealogy and has spent years researching her family tree. And she's bored me for years at family gathering about my distant relatives. I just have no interest in it.

17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Cool story...

My uncle has an original oil painting of his forth great-grandfather (my fifth).. a portrait which the man had commissioned. The man was stabbed and killed as he left the portrait studio with his own portrait in his hand. His blood splattered on the back of the canvas.

That's the blood that I would like to have DNA tested... and then my own... just to see if this story that has been passed down for so many years is actually true.

Supposedly (the story goes) this happened on the streets of London in the late 18th century, and supposedly, there is record of it on file... somewhere. Strangely (?) the man in the painting does have similar facial traits as many in our family do.

18. grilldanmo

grilldanmo Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2017
    United States of America
    When you melt stuff in a pot, you leave nothing behind, everything comes to together we're all part of the stew that is America. And like a real stew you neither have to eat nor even like all of the ingredients.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I see diversity as inclusion and respect for differences and believe that to nothing but good. Diversity has traditionally been our nation's greatest strength. The people in power have a tradition of trying to manipulate us into thinking it's bad or trying to make it look bad. But then we're treading too close to politics...so I'm done.

19. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Didn't read entire thread, so maybe this was pointed out already - those test show where people are today, who you share DNA with. They don't have "your ancestors DNA". Close enough usually, but not always.

I don't really care. But my sister did, and she was able to get a photo of my paternal grandfather from a distant relative she found using one of those services. He never married my grandmother and no one in my family but her had ever met or seen him. So I got to see my grandfather.

Funny part is, she has always claimed our family was Irish. But my dad's side are all German, except for my deadbeat-dad grandfather.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.