Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is your DNA/ancestry to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My mother went all nuts with the stuff, found out one of our ancestors was William of Orange. Pretty sure so are millions of others. It don't mean jack to me.

2. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I don't care about DNA testing at a high level that just gives you percentages of your ethnicities.

What I am interested in is a true family tree, learning about the actual people that came before me. I don't care what nationalities they are, I care about who they were, what their trades were, the conditions in which they lived, etc.

Knowing all of that would be cool...

Harry Styron likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    In ancient Greece, "ethnic" meant "anyone not Greek." The word still tends to be used that way. As Flakey points out above, we're all "ethnic" and who you are is much more defined by one's culture.

But I do love history and I'd be interested to see my own DNA results—but not curious enough to pay $100.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

So true.

We have our valued "family name" and we are eager to trace our connection back to this famous Novelist or Physicist of the same name, but we're less interested once our research takes us back to a crack addict laying in a gutter in some down and out Seaboard town.

5. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    ... Faulkner?

P Thought likes this.
  6. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Meister

Jan 25, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    Not true...I want to know about the crack addict, novelist, pig farmer, whatever. It's just interesting, no matter what I may find. It's just so curious that a bunch of random events, meetings, relationships, etc. led to me being on this earth. The more I could learn about it, the better. It won't change anything, it's just fascinating.

telemnemonics and rghill like this.
  7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2016
    Arizona
    I’ve been on the road a lot the last few years...maybe I should be more concerned about the DNA of my kids.o_O

8. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 16, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    My grandfather always told us we were descendants of Francis Bacon, as well as direct descendants of Norman invaders. The first doesn't make much sense other than a common surname. The second is fairly likely; the area of England where the surname comes from would have been where most Norman colonists would have settled once in England.

Again, millions of grandparents, it's very difficult to trace to one particular historical figure.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    (Not arguing here, just having a conversation)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ethnos actually mean Greeks/Gentiles, as in contrast to non-Jewish?

10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Important? Not a ton. Interesting? Sure. And things of interest have value to me. My wife and I both did Ancestry DNA just weeks before she passed. She never got to see her results, but when our daughter gets older and wants to know more about her mom, that will be just one more tidbit of information we can share... so I'm glad we did it.

She and I worked on our family trees a bit in years past. I traced one branch of my family with our surname all the way back to Hertfordshire England in the 1500s. My wife traced a branch of her tree back to the early 1400s France.

I wouldn't say it is "important" but I do find it interesting. However, when it does come to DNA, genetics, and terminal diseases I do find that important. Since my wife had terminal colon cancer and her aunt currently has colon cancer... that family history will require our daughter to start getting screenings in her early 20s. So in that regard, DNA and family history goes from interesting to quite important (though Ancestry DNA doesn't really help in that regard).

I'm quite fascinated with the prospect of genetic-based designer drugs and treatments for cancer patients or patients with other genetic terminal illness.

11. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2015
    NE, Ohio
    We (brother, sisters, and kids) all did the DNA test on Ancestry. There was nothing surprising about the results - 97% Eastern European for my siblings and me. We didn't learn a ton there, but a 3rd cousin once removed, whom we knew nothing about, that lives in PA, is in his mid 30's and a lawyer by profession, has given my sister a wealth of knowledge regarding our mother's family from Poland (ethnic Ukrainians living in Poland). He has been there many times, has done a lot of research in the archives (mostly in the churches), and is active in the preservation of our shared heritage. My father's side of the family is smaller since 2 of his 3 sisters were murdered by the Bolsheviks, but we still got to learn a little more there as well.

Since our mother was the communicator to the old country, while we were busy tending to our American lives, the connections died along with her. But the 3rd cousin connection (in PA) through Ancestry spurred us into finding our remaining aunts and cousins in Ukraine - mostly through Facebook - and eventually led to my 2 older sisters, my brother, and I going there to visit them last September. We even met some additional 2nd cousins while we were there that we knew nothing about. I talk to my relatives there weekly on video chats, and my son and I are going there in June so that he can meet all of the younger cousins, all of whom either speak a little English, or want to learn more.

The DNA tests themselves were not a big deal for us, but that one connection sure changed our lives.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I haven't had it done, but wouldn't object to it. Just not sufficient interest to shell out any money on it. I came from Alabama, and anything beyond that really is of little interest to me at this point. I either saw or was right close to where my kids were born, and am pretty sure they weren't exchanged for someone else, and if they were it's too late to do anything about it now, so I guess I'm good.

I worked with a man from Mexico one time that made the comment when a guy was talking about his native American heritage, that he never met a dumb a$$ed Okie who didn't have a full blooded Cherokee Indian princes as his great, great, great grandma. I always wondered if he might be one of them DNA experts.

13. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    It was the slaveowners that really bummed me out . . .

These ‘uns in particular.

14. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

That surprises me ..... everyone that Paul likes gets ad free status as a sign of being in the click (one of the cool kids) ......

..... I'm afraid that I can't talk to you anymore ......

15. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Incidentally, I'm British ........ I won't be having a DNA test in case I find out I'm less British than I thought.

Such news would inevitably damage my self-esteem!

Tony474 likes this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Okay, so I wasn't being entirely truthful. After being tested, it was found that I am indeed a monkey's uncle. Here we are at the park, I take my duties seriously.

[​IMG]

17. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Falls City
    Of course. People started Googling lol

See what you started :D

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  18. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Consumer DNA tests are good for identifying cousins, up to fourth or fifth cousins. Beyond that, pedigree collapse starts to have its effect, which means for a lot of us, our parents have many common ancestors if they lived in the same region 300 years ago. That's how ethnicity happens.

But the ethnicity information that accompanies consumer-level DNA results is very speculative.

Throughout human history, most families stayed in one region, but may have drifted as a group with changes in climate, politics, food supply, wars, etc. And within any group, there have always been travelers, who may have been traders, captives, explorers, or outcasts, who have transmitted stories, diseases, technology, geographic knowledge and DNA.

DNA analysis is generating a lot of new data about ancient migrations, and the inferences from this data are always tentative, because tentative conclusions are what scientific inquiry produces.

19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Jun 22, 2009
    Falls City
    Have you ever been on a date and asked the gal how she feels about dark caves ?

If so, you might be a neanderthal :lol:

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It's important to me "culturally." I come from irish americans. So does my wife. There are things about that tradition that matter to us: ways of interacting, forms of socialbility.

I don't care one bit about DNA. I mean suppose my DNA revealed that I'm "actually" something else? So what? The whole challenge of life is not being confined by your physical limitations. I could not play the guitar at first. Now I can. I couldn't read. Or do math. I learned these things. I learned how to be irish american

Our daughter is adopted, and she doesn't look like us. Is she less out daughter because she doesn't share our DNA? Some might say yes: I would say no: family is built on care and shared experience and love. You can reduce it to "blood" if you want, but it doesn't produce any better outcomes to do so. People relate by blood are just as likely as anybody else to detest each other as to love each other.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.