Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is your DNA/ancestry to you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 11, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I keep seeing all of these commercials for DNA testing, so that a person can be completely confident about his or her ancestry. This is something that does not appeal to me in the least, and I don't personally know anyone who is that deep into their ancestry that they would pay $80-$100 to find out that they are 58% this, and 12% that, and 24% whatever.

Of course if you do not know your biological parents, it would be medically important, to know what preventative things you may need to be doing.

But to do it just so that you can wear a certain hat, or "trade in your kilt for lederhosen" ??? I'm not sure that if I found that my ancestry were German rather than Scottish, I wouldn't all of the sudden change clothes and go to different local festivals.

I think also... and correct me if I'm wrong... people in the NE part of the US may have more of an ethic community awareness?, where as in the south, we have more of a Southern community culture... just guessing.

But all of these DNA testing commercials are all over the place, and I'm surprised that there is enough market there to keep it all going.

Not to mention the idea of voluntarily handing my DNA over to a for-profit organization.

Me? My last name is an obvious Americanization of a common Celtic Scotch name. I guess that's good enough for me.

OneHenry, Owenmoney, PingGuo and 5 others like this.

2. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

May 13, 2013
    canada
    Me being adopted didn't really know much about my family history until a year and a half ago at 25-26 years old . And god is it mest up lol .

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    At 66 I could care less what dose it really matter I'm still me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    OneHenry, mojosman, Skub and 6 others like this.

4. wooderson

wooderson Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2007
    DFW, TX
    I did a 23andMe test primarily because of a history of Alzheimer's on my maternal side, testing can point to a couple of relevant genetic markers about likelihood of developing early Alzheimer's.

The ancestry part was just an amusing bonus. I'm a pale redhead, so things were pretty obvious but out of whack from even what I expected - they traced 97.5% of my DNA to the British Isles, 1.5% to the Iberian peninsula. That's with all the major lines of my ancestors landing in the US by the late 18th century. They were pretty much all dirt farmers in Virginia and Tennessee until the mid-20th century so it seems they preferred to 'keep it in the holler' so to speak.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    My wife and I did it. We gave it to each other for Christmas a few years ago.

We were really just curious. It was fun. And answered some questions. For instance I've been told my whole life that I had Native American roots. My dad's family came out of Oklahoma territory, and his grandparents definitely had the look. I came up zero. Nada.

My wife got asked all through college and grad school by asians studying here in the US what her Asian ancestry was. She would tell them none. I have not seen anything about her or anybody else in her family that would make me think Asian. But guess who came back at 4% Asian? I guess those folks could see it.

It was just a good time for me. It came back mostly as expected for both of us. I'm mostly Scottish, Irish, and Scandinavian as expected. No Native American, but I did find out I have heritage from the Iberian Peninsula, Eastern European Jews, and Middle East. I found it very interesting.

I got scolded by the paranoid for volunteering my DNA for a database. But seriously? I leave DNA all over the damn place every day, and have for 45 years. If anybody wanted it for nefarious purposes it wouldn't be hard to get.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    awasson, JustABluesGuy, rz350 and 7 others like this.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Doing spit collection for DNA . Got kit for Xmas. Some interesting things came out from sister. I think I’m milkman kid so we will see.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    I'm curious, but not enough to pay for it.

I'm more curious about my father's family tree, before his grandparents on both sides. It seems these folks just suddenly appeared out of the dust, because there's no records readily available before that generation.

Jakedog and TheGoodTexan like this.

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    It's a fun activity for me. We did a family history in 10th grade, and trace our lineage back 5 generations, so that kinda planted the seed, as it were. A cousin of my father (on his mother's side) traced the family name back to Charlemagne...made all the more impressive by the fact that this was done in the pre-Internet days. My mom had a lady from church do her family, as far back as possible.

What I found really cool was my paternal 4th-great-grandfather was the dude who emigrated to the US. We uncovered his documents in an old box...one said that he disavowed allegiance to the King of Germany, and one document disavowed allegiance to the King of Prussia. This was exactly as the German Unification was happening in the 1870's. Now, many wars and treaties later, the church that he was baptized (and married...and his kids were baptized and married in) is in 2018 Poland. "Is" being the operative word there - some kind parishioners in Poland have uploaded these records to the internet, since approximately a billion Germans/Prussians/Poles moved out of that region during the 1870's.

Now, 4Great was a sly dog...He got married to someone who I can only presume was a smokin' Polish babe, and bore 2 boys. His wife died, and he raised his boys through adulthood. Then, married another Polish babe after his two kids got married...his wife was younger than his kids' wives! He moved with his hot wife to the United States and had at least a few more kids.

rz350, darkwaters, moosie and 3 others like this.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I actually know a good bit about my ancestry on my mother's side and some about my father's side. The family was from Lubeck, Germany. I had the very good fortune to be invited to the city as a guest of a laser company. The family had left in the mid 1800's and I was the first family member back in more than 160 years. It was truly an amazing experience. We know my father's great grandfather was from across the Baltic in Sweden. It was something that made little sense to me until I visited Lubeck and found the architecture there so similar to the architecture in Sweden just across the Baltic that without hearing the language, you'd never know which side you were on. I doubt you get that experience from 23andMe.

dented and TheGoodTexan like this.

10. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    I was kind of interested in this recently. Must be something in the air.

My understanding is that the ancestry readings from these tests are to a degree statistical and based on probabilities, so there is room for error/misunderstanding. Here's a related quote:

Scientists can make inferences about your ancestry based on trends among populations, but they can’t say for sure that your ancestors lived in a specific country, much less a specific town. Testing companies analyze a person’s genetic makeup by comparing his or her DNA to a reference database of DNA samples from modern individuals living in various regions—such as residents of present-day African countries. . . . But it’s important to keep in mind that today’s inhabitants of a given region are genetically different from the people who lived there before migration occurred. Just because your DNA matches the DNA of someone who currently lives there, that doesn’t necessarily mean your ancestors came from that place. Likewise, your DNA might match that of a modern-day African tribe, but your ancestors may not have identified with that particular group.

maxvintage, jazzereh, Flakey and 3 others like this.

11. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    Personally I am starting to think this is a way of the government collecting everyone's DNA, and have you pay for it. At 68 I don't care, they got my DNA from the Marines.

12. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    I had an aunt on the paternal side of my family who spent her retirement thoroughly documenting that side of my lineage going back nearly 400 years. It took her 15 years. She travelled extensively in England, Scotland and Sweden...church records, graveyards, even met relatives in Sweden still living in an ancestral home with a family bible over the fireplace with birth and death notations back to the early 1600s. It is meticulously detailed in several hundred pages of documents she compiled.

My maternal side...maybe about five generations. Not nearly as thoroughly documented as my father's side beyond they all arrived in the U.S. around 1840 and every last one of them seem to have English surnames.

How important is it? I don't know. Since I've always been aware and knew all my grandparents and even a couple of great-grandparents,my interest is simply to preserve what is known in case someone wants to know on down the road.

moosie likes this.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If the test suggests I'm anything but 100% American Mongrel, I have no use for it.

Proud to be from 3-4 dirty old countries - doesn't matter which ones to me, one bit.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Skub, Fiesta Red, CFFF and 3 others like this.

14. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I'm perfectly content with who I am and how God made me. I would care more for a family tree, if I knew I had a rich relative somewhere.

viccortes285 likes this.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    We have artifacts on both sides that go back to germany and france. That's about as detailed as I need....

16. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2008
    san jose ca
    I did the test for Ancestry.com. My wife is researching both of our family trees. We have hit a dead end with my paternal great grandfather. He enlisted in the union army during the civil war under one name, and came out with another. We don,t know which one is his real name, it could be either. We are hoping the DNA rest will help us solve this quandry. Ancestry is now sending us alerts to other people with whom we have a common ancestor based on the dna database they have. Hopefully this will give us some new leads.

Telesphere, Chip and TheGoodTexan like this.

17. silvertonebetty

silvertonebetty Tele-Meister

May 13, 2013
    canada
    I know I'm like part french , Lebanese and something

18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I've thought about getting the analysis, to back up my pending claim to the Scottish throne. :);)

19. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I've traced most of my geneology back to migration to North America. I found the truth is more interesting than the family lore. And not because my ancestors did spectacular things, but because they were all very ordinary, and still some managed to accomplish some interesting and decent things that a couple hundred years on are still admirable. There is proximity to some historical events that had a concrete influence on who we are, but somehow we lost the stories, so that's neat. And there are a handful of cretins in there, just enough to keep things interesting.

I'm curious about the DNA, because a cousin of mine whose lineage I had completely traced out had some unexpected roots. Which, given where that part of the family came from, wasn't really unexpected at all. I guess it was surprising because it was so specific.

20. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    The only way I'd be interested would be if my father's mother was alive. And then only to see her froth at the mouth that her cherished family story wasn't true.

My sister knows all that stuff now anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.