Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

How important is weight when buying a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fakeplastic, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2016
    Alabama
    I have a rather heavy ash bodied Strat and a really light ash bodied Tele. All my other guitars are somewhere in between. I like them all.

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Yeah. I almost sent him a message. I don't think it ever sold because he was asking a little too much for the shape it was in. But when you show with cash they often will say yes.

If the 10 pounds bothered me I could always do a refinish and route it down to esquire thickness. I'm sure that would knock some weight off :)

3. You-Tele-Me

You-Tele-Me Tele-Meister

Feb 24, 2017
    Vancouver Island
    When buying a Tele, weight can have an effect on shipping cost. ;-)

4. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    I don't have any physical issues but I like them on the lighter side. Near 7 lbs is ideal for me. They just feel right to me at that weight. Handling them, picking them up, just feels ideal, and why not own whet feels right to you.

5. Aztex

Aztex Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2018
    Vaudeville
    Depends who you ask .. I guess

I found a recent Brad Paisley cover Guitar Player Magazine.

Brad says:

"I think the weight is probably a good 60 percent of the sound of an electric guitar. The woods in the body and neck, and the way they pair up—that's what a Telecaster is. When a Tele is too heavy, it doesn't feel right to me."

6. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I have honestly never considered weight when buying a guitar, ever.

7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    Pain was not a problem with my Strat. It just didn't feel right or sit right. Teles are instantly comfortable without the gut cut. Everyone is put together a bit differently.

8. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I was wondering the same thing. Seems like there are a lot of terminally ill playing Tele's. Although I do like my teles or strats in the 7.5 to 8 pound range, its more just for what feels right for me. Not because I can't handle it. I'm 58 so not exactly young and vibrant. I think a 9 pound guitar over my shoulder would fatigue my back, even though I don't have back problems. Why play a guitar thats going to fatigue you.
    I admit I never knew anything about how light teles could be before the Internet. Dam music stores selling me all their boat anchors until I discovered their secret. Since about 2006 I've been wise to lighter guitars and its been one of my required specs ever since. Guitars in the range of 7.2 and 8 pounds are acceptable. If a guitar around 8.5 sounded really good I'd definitely make an exception. If I found a guitar that sounded really good at 6.5 or less I'd be less enthusiastic. Its hard for me to get past how weird ultra light guitars feel.

FredDairy likes this.

9. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    it is inversely important with your age :D

10. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2007
    Chicagoland
    What about old Les Paul players?
    Les is about 68 here.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    As a frontman, I have to haul a PA, backup PA, speakers, monitors, guitar, amp, backup guitar, backup amp and a crate with about 50 lbs of cables and extension cords. I then have to play high energy music, for 3 or 4 hours, and then pack everything back up. So yea, there is a big advantage to a light guitar. Plus, I prefer the sound of a resonant guitar. I've played hollow and semi-hollow body guitars, most of my life.

Playing professionally, I had to be able to play 3 to 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. 8 lbs is my limit. My favorite guitar are around 6.5 lbs.

Last edited: May 2, 2018

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Most of the telecasters I've really enjoyed were the light body and baseball neck models. They bring a certain tone which is not found in heavier body versions. A clarity on the low strings which becomes muddier when the body gets too heavy. My two cents.

theprofessor likes this.

13. ThirstyMonk

ThirstyMonk TDPRI Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Arizona
    Agreed. My baja is a two piece body, fat neck and weighs 7 lbs 5 ounces. I still can't believe how awesome this guitar is, versus guitars I paid a lot more for......

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Straightforward bass: keep time, hold down the root note of the chord, stay out of the way. It’s never wrong. Keith Ferguson said “The only time you should notice me is when I stop playing.”

nojazzhere likes this.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    So true...So true....

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I tend to buy used and the first two questions I asked are about frets conditions and weight: if the seller says over 7.4 lbs I prefer to double think on it.

Around 7 lbs just feels right, although I can physically carry heavier guitars.

17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Holic

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa

Beautiful Bubba, and while our servicemen and women around the world spend their days carrying about fifty pounds of equipment in adverse conditions we have grown men complaining about 8 pound guitars ! Doesn’t say much for guitar players !

18. Timo

Timo Tele-Meister

Oct 25, 2006
    Montreal, Canada
    I have two teles, both in the 6.5 lb. range. I won't even look at anything that's more than 7 lbs. A quality build with a lightweight body makes for a great guitar

19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I am back to three guitars now and all of them weigh in at around 3kg (~6.6lbs).
    I am not a weight obsessed but a light weight and resonant tele is just very nice.

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    The lighter the better, in my opinion.

I love a guitar that I can strap on and play an entire set without needing a chiropractor and a shot of whiskey.

I don't subscribe to the notion that Heavy = Better Tone, and never will.
    ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.